DIY Antenna Modification - RANGE TEST (14,180 FEET) with DJI Phantom 3 Standard

It amazes me how the different antennas make such a huge difference. A few minutes ago I went out and tried the Alpha 5.8 again, but switched to the amazon no name 10dbi omnis. Another best at my current location. This time by about another 600ft over the ARGtek 10dbi. I seem to have hit a homerun with these no name omnis. I switched back to the ARGtek 5.8 and could only reach 3600ft. today. I guess this is the good thing about having multiple antenna options available. I need to get out next weekend and make a drive out to open land and go for a real distance test. My wife made a comment about how many antennas I've ordered. This goes back to my CB Radio and transmitter hunts. You can never have too many options!
Screenshot_20170212-120844.png

Lol. Yep! I have not done another long range test over open land with these as of yet. They regularly get me 1000m -1200m in my neighborhood. I know that I've got allot of interference. I'm flying between several neighborhoods and high power transmission lines. Of course, everyone's results vary. It's weird that these antennas on the wifi side get me considerably more distance. They seem to enhance the 5.8 signal for some strange reason as you'll see in the video that the guy posted. Good luck!

Reactions: Matts175
Lol. Yep! I have not done another long range test over open land with these as of yet. They regularly get me 1000m -1200m in my neighborhood. I know that I've got allot of interference. I'm flying between several neighborhoods and high power transmission lines. Of course, everyone's results vary. It's weird that these antennas on the wifi side get me considerably more distance. They seem to enhance the 5.8 signal for some strange reason as you'll see in the video that the guy posted. Good luck!
I've seen this also, and my personal theory is that the two signals are linked in a way, let me explain. Remember how the RTH happens after the control signal (5.8 GHz) is lost for more than three seconds. Well the FW in the drone can take care of itself, but what about that RED vs GREEN led on our remotes. How does the RC know to turn red showing a disconnect , but for the wifi (2.4 GHz) signal data downlink. My take is if the wifi downlink data stops, there's a time frame (maybe the same 3 seconds) that the led turns red and a RTH command is sent. So by increasing the range of the wifi signal, your not getting any faults negatives (control lose) ?

I've seen this also, and my personal theory is that the two signals are linked in a way, let me explain. Remember how the RTH happens after the control signal (5.8 GHz) is lost for more than three seconds. Well the FW in the drone can take care of itself, but what about that RED vs GREEN led on our remotes. How does the RC know to turn red showing a disconnect , but for the wifi (2.4 GHz) signal data downlink. My take is if the wifi downlink data stops, there's a time frame (maybe the same 3 seconds) that the led turns red and a RTH command is sent. So by increasing the range of the wifi signal, your not getting any faults negatives (control lose) ?
I agree

Reactions: Matts175

Sounds plausible.

Just in case anyone wants to look at the internals of the 10dbi no name amazon antenna. Seems solid!
IMG_20170212_174329383[1].jpg

These no name Amazon antennas look interesting, sadly they seems to only work with the argtek bar already installed, they look like they would be rather intrusive if you put them in place of the Aplha mod

These no name Amazon antennas look interesting, sadly they seems to only work with the argtek bar already installed, they look like they would be rather intrusive if you put them in place of the Aplha mod
I used the alpha on the ARGtek mod. For the range, I won't complain about the size.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik