DIY Antenna Modification - RANGE TEST (14,180 FEET) with DJI Phantom 3 Standard

Interesting to see this mod resurface. Probably closer to a year now a very similar mod was posted by someone else, just using a generic 5.8 ghz panel antenna in place of the one shown here. I did the same mod only because I couldn't afford DBS at the time, this turned out to be a great mod that eliminated my need for DBS. I got scared pushing over a mile with this mod but could of easily gone further. Amazing performance for the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Sisco and Matts175
I have an A4 piece of perspex plastic 3mm thick. When my antennas get here I will use this to try and make something similar to the Argtek antenna mount, see how I go.

His Wife won't let him have a drone, so he comes on forums to troll. LOL

Anyways, I found something useful that I wanted to share with the class....

I found this ARGtek type kit for $26.99.

Antenna Refitting Signal Booster Amplifier Extend Rang For DJI Phantom3 Standard

Throw the included antennas in the trash.
Replace with Alphas.
No need to drill holes, epoxy or Dremel anything, remove the back metal bar, etc.

Total cost: Still cheaper than ARGtek or DBS / ITELITE.

Did you happen to take the plunge on this? I enjoy a good DIY project, but if most of it can be done for me, lol

Reactions: Electro32
I took this one step further...

I did the alfa mod 6 months ago, but only with the 2x 2.4ghz, i used a generic 11dbi antenna for 5ghz. I ordered the alfa this 5ghz antenna after seeing this thread. I also ordered a 5ghz amp. The 2.4ghz is modded to 27dbm and the drones oem patch antennas are mounted externally back and front.

So today, with the same 3 antennas, a 5ghz sunhans amp. 2.5 miles was easy, full signal still on both control and video! confirmed by the litchi log too, uplinksignalquality 100%. I manually RTH 4000m as the return leg was into a icy headwind and i forgot to charge mobile phone. Landed with 36% battery. ****! I need to do a battery mod before i push past 3 miles. Im also in the middle of building a tripod with 3 large tp-link patch antennas, but i dont i even need it!.

Before the amp i was consistently getting just 1800m until control signal loss, however before I was also using the generic 11dbi 5ghz square antenna. So i dont yet know how much was down to the antenna or amp. I need to test both bin the worst lol

PfoZQft.jpg
42QxHdZ.jpg

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Do you have a link for the battery pack? Thanks.

I took this one step further...

I did the alfa mod 6 months ago, but only with the 2x 2.4ghz, i used a generic 11dbi antenna for 5ghz. I ordered the alfa this 5ghz antenna after seeing this thread. I also ordered a 5ghz amp. The 2.4ghz is modded to 27dbm and the drones oem patch antennas are mounted externally back and front.

So today, with the same 3 antennas, a 5ghz sunhans amp. 2.5 miles was easy, full signal still on both control and video! confirmed by the litchi log too, uplinksignalquality 100%. I manually RTH 4000m as the return leg was into a icy headwind and i forgot to charge mobile phone. Landed with 36% battery. ****! I need to do a battery mod before i push past 3 miles. Im also in the middle of building a tripod with 3 large tp-link patch antennas, but i dont i even need it!.

Before the amp i was consistently getting just 1800m until control signal loss, however before I was also using the generic 11dbi 5ghz square antenna. So i dont yet know how much was down to the antenna or amp. I need to test both bin the worst lol

PfoZQft.jpg
42QxHdZ.jpg

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Is that a 5 or 12 volt battery pack I see there?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do you have a link for the battery pack? Thanks.
Is that a 5 or 12 volt battery pack I see there?

Its a generic car 12v lipo jump starter pack off amazon. So i can use it to start my car or fly the drone. I use the 12v ports to power the amp. It has 5v usb output too. We have smaller engine cars in the UK, you might want a higher current model (600a or so) if you intend ever using it to jump.

Here it is on amazon usa

Amazon.com: [Ultra Compact] DBPOWER 300A Peak 8000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter (for Gas Engine up to 2.5L) Auto Battery Booster Charger Phone Power Bank Built-in LED Flashlight (Black/Red): Automotive

adapter i used to splice the connector on
Amazon.com: Ec-5 Cigarette Lighter Socket for 12v Car Battery Booster Mini Portable Power Pack car jump starter: Automotive

DBPOWER-300A-Peak-8000mAh-Portable-Car-Jump-Starter.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Electro32
Its a generic car 12v lipo jump starter pack off amazon. So i can use it to start my car or fly the drone. I use the 12v ports to power the amp. It has 5v usb output too. We have smaller engine cars in the UK, you might want a higher current model (600a or so) if you intend ever using it to jump.

Here it is on amazon usa

Amazon.com: [Ultra Compact] DBPOWER 300A Peak 8000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter (for Gas Engine up to 2.5L) Auto Battery Booster Charger Phone Power Bank Built-in LED Flashlight (Black/Red): Automotive

adapter i used to splice the connector on
Amazon.com: Ec-5 Cigarette Lighter Socket for 12v Car Battery Booster Mini Portable Power Pack car jump starter: Automotive

DBPOWER-300A-Peak-8000mAh-Portable-Car-Jump-Starter.jpg
Great! Thanks.

Curious as to using three m25's on the P3S controller. They claim to be 8db on 2.4 over the 7db of the 2.4 antenna. Seems like they might be a better fit. Has anyone used the m25 on the 2.4 side?

Hello guys. My new configuration
fw 1.7.090 alpha kit 2.4 and 5.8 antennas. Powermagic 5.3 20db and 24db limit rc drone. Litchi 3.10.2. Well I am with this new configuration to 50% less coverage max. Something that I did wrong?

Sent from my SM-G925F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello guys. My new configuration
fw 1.7.090 alpha kit 2.4 and 5.8 antennas. Powermagic 5.3 20db and 24db limit rc drone. Litchi 3.10.2. Well I am with this new configuration to 50% less coverage max. Something that I did wrong?

Set MP to 27 all around. Or get some amps.

Received my Alpha m25 today..............FAIL! Max distance was about 2100FT/636M. I tried to stay aligned using the radar on the new DJI Go update to no avail. I know it's not the update either. Yesterday after the update, I made my furthest flight in my immediate area. I'll give it another shot next weekend in a more rural area. So far, disappointed. I also considered those talking about which side of the antenna should face the bird. My new Alpha will only point with the Logo facing the bird. It will not swivel 180. I even pointed the antenna straight out positioned the controller to where the other side of the panel was facing the bird. I had to hold the controller vertically and that made no difference. At this moment, the ARGtek 10db omni gets me double the distance (4000+ ft) in the same area. FRUSTRATED!

It is happening to me the same thing after replacing the argtek 10db.
I saw only enhancements back to version 3.8.0 of litchi. + 30% video signal and control. shortly I will send my tests of ph3s.
disappointed

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj