DIY Antenna Modification - RANGE TEST (14,180 FEET) with DJI Phantom 3 Standard

That's pretty much what I was saying about this mod when you asked for the pros and cons. IMO, This one looks like the best to me. Just a little more labor intensive, but if you are half way mechanically inclined, you can handle it. I put my name in to win a set. If I do, I'm going to design something a little different to mount, kind of like how the ARGteks do. The best thing is is that this one is the cheapest of them all. I wish I'd have seen this one first, before I got the DBS.

People are having problems with the latest DJI Go. Roll back to 2.9.1 or 3.0.(I forgot). You do not have to have Magic power, but it would certainly help.
2.9.1 or 3.0.1

People are having problems with the latest DJI Go. Roll back to 2.9.1 or 3.0.(I forgot). You do not have to have Magic power, but it would certainly help.

Anyone know or understand the reasons behind having trouble with the latest dji app and this mod? It's inly hardware being changed so why would the app be affected?

Is there any dji app problems when using the dbs?

It don't have anything to do with the mod. It's the latest version of the android go app. The Here maps has you location about 2.5 miles nw of where you actually are. It has been the cause of some flyaways.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It don't have anything to do with the mod. It's the latest version of the android go app. The Here maps has you location about 2.5 miles nw of where you actually are. It has been the cause of some flyaways.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Ah ok, so if I do this mod, and im using iphone with latest version of DJI GO then I should be ok?

Ah ok, so if I do this mod, and im using iphone with latest version of DJI GO then I should be ok?
Like you're the poster said doing a hardware mod has nothing to do with any type of software. Whether FW or app related. Do not believe iPhone is affected by the current bug in the Go app. Just do yourself a favor if you're using the most current version of Go. Check to make sure that your location, the RC location, is where you're actually standing.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dazzauk
I did the Mod and it's easy. But just have to fit that 5 GHz Antenna again. Maybe I didn't applied enough epoxy. So when its tightened it's became loosened.

Sent from my Honor 8

Reactions: Sisco
I tested the mod earlier, it's work fine. Only thing I don't have the gut to fly the distances. The weather kinda sucks. Strong winds and tested it on a park inside the City.
One question.....Why it so difficult to connect to the drone when out in the field? Wifi connected but the App it's not. I have to turn on and off the RC and drone a few times then finally connected. Maybe because I live in a crowded city. But when trying at home it's easily connected.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sisco
The wording( Alfa)should face the bird . And keep it facing as best you can the whole flight.+++((((I would like retract this statement on atleast the 2.4ghz directional alfas.))))+++not sure on the 5.8 yet
It seems these are backwards as on mine the Alfa faces the back not the bird. Had to take one apart to be sure. So imagine pointing them the right direction!!! LOL

Attachments

• 0204171025a-1.jpg
    0204171025a-1.jpg
    871.3 KB · Views: 557
  • 0203171816-1-1.jpg
    0203171816-1-1.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 525
  • 0203171816a-1-1.jpg
    0203171816a-1-1.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Wow.. I can't imagine that I was over 14,180 feet from signal back splash, but there we have it. Now I wonder what range could be had if I did the range test with them facing the other way? :)

Also, side note.. Do you have a photo of the antenna board from inside the argtek?

Reactions: Y2KGTA
It seems these are backwards as on mine the Alfa faces the back not the bird. Had to take one apart to be sure. So imagine pointing them the right direction!!! LOL
Do a range test with them both ways, same location on the same day if possible, going the very same heading.

Reactions: Sisco and Y2KGTA
Wow.. I can't imagine that I was over 14,180 feet from signal back splash, but there we have it. Now I wonder what range could be had if I did the range test with them facing the other way? :)

Also, side note.. Do you have a photo of the antenna board from inside the argtek?
0204171025-1.jpg

The biggest advantage i can see right off to me in my opinion over the argtek is the Ground plane properly backs the whole antenna on the Alfas and seems better made. The metal on the Argtek feels cheap and doesn't cover well compared to the size of the active antenna. ((( on a side note this particular antenna is the argtek but is 6dbi 5.8ghz version)))

Last edited:
View attachment 75307
The biggest advantage i can see right off to me in my opinion over the argtek is the Ground plane properly backs the whole antenna on the Alfas and seems better made. The metal on the Argtek feels cheap and doesn't cover well compared to the size of the active antenna. ((( on a side note this particular antenna is the argtek but is 6dbi 5.8ghz version)))

Its odd that your argtek board looks like almost the exact design of the cheap generic 2.4Ghz antennas on ebay everyone hates.

Attachments

• 20170204_142904.jpg
    20170204_142904.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 455

Logical the ground plane would go to the back, as it acts as a reflector. Wanted signal reflected front, and unwanted signals reflected back. Let us know if you put it to the test.

Logical the ground plane would go to the back, as it acts as a reflector. Wanted signal reflected front, and unwanted signals reflected back. Let us know if you put it to the test.

But with the antennas facing backwards he got 13,000+ and I got 14,000+. Imagine if we had them facing the other way. :p

Its odd that your argtek board looks like almost the exact design of the cheap generic 2.4Ghz antennas on ebay everyone hates.
here is the argtek 2.4 ghz 7dbi

Attachments

• 0204171425-1.jpg
    0204171425-1.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 457
so either the Alfa's have been used backwards or the Argteks are being used backwards according to the grounding plate.

Interesting. I would like to which is the proper way

so either the Alfa's have been used backwards or the Argteks are being used backwards according to the grounding plate.

Interesting. I would like to which is the proper way
How do we know which way is front from his pics on the Argteks.
The ground plane would have to be toward the back, only makes sense.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164