DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

Everyone has their preference. I have daves design, but can see how someone may prefer the Hong Kong sellers design given the added adjustability in angle while in flight. Not sure I need or want this...

I agree I do prefer the fact you can tilt the antennas up and down with the other guys design. You may not always hold your remote the same way and that added flexibility would be a nice addition.

Yes but I may need to find a cheaper way since I'm finding out e-bay is charging way to much to ship out of the U.S.

yes, to mine country it is double the initial price (i paid like 50$), but ebay adds also local VAT and customs clearence fee - at least they say

Aluminum and Copper. More copper atoms can fit in the cube. Copper atoms are also heavier than aluminum atoms. The combination of more and heavier atoms makes copper more dense than aluminum

Does the above make copper a better signal booster?? Can someone do a A&B comparison between foil and copper tape? I can pay someone at least 8.00 to do so.

I seriously doubt you could tell the difference between copper and aluminum. Getting a more perfect parabula and better placement of the antenna at the focus of the parabula would make more difference than anything else we could do. Radio waves are so big compared to optical waves the density of copper over aluminum is irrelevant as far as reflection. Look at what radio telescopes use (steel mesh), or commercial boosters (a steel grid).

Want to know how good your booster is? Point a laser straight at it and see where the dot ends up. If it lights up the antenna then you are in business. If it goes anyplace else you may as well have a flat plate behind the antenna as the curve is not focusing it properly. Without proper focus it would be like using a pair of binoculars way out of focus. You would be better not using them at all.

I flew out to 7,500 feet today with Dave's booster. Not record breaking but the furthest I've been. Video signal started dropping a little at 7,500. The RC was still full bars.

I tried the ebay version of the parabolic and had impressive full everything out to 2km in less than ideal conditions.
Beyond that I get concerned about battery level to get home safely.
Probably well worth having if you particularly need a little extra distance.

It is tricky to accurately assess how much increase you are getting, but fairly sure there is a worthwhile gain.
I am a little concerned that using frequently might shorten the life of theTX chip due to affecting the SWR though.

I modified the original boosters to extend the full length of the antennas like Daves, and the other commercial ones. I made the parabolic surface out of a plastic jug and then used the parabolic outlines to push the circular shape into the needed parabolic shape. I used aluminum tape to cover both the inside and outside of the booster for maximum reflectivity. I made sure the inside surface was as smooth as possible. I then tested the shape of my antenna boosters with a laser to make sure that no matter where the beam hit, it would reflect to the antenna just as a parabola should.

With my original booster, like the one shown from the original poster of this thread, I got 15,100 feet distance from a nearly ideal location where I was about 200 feet above a river valley giving me clean line of sight for 20 miles. This time I got 16,242 feet from a very flat area next to high voltage power lines where I could not have clean line of sight.

The limit of my distance now is safe battery life. 5km out and back is about as much as is possible without really pushing the battery past the low battery warning.

Here is the video I took:

Reactions: david wettlaufer
I wonder whats going on with the Phantom3 FW, i mean i know ppl in europe flying the Phantom3 in CE norm and reaching 7000m without any mod and now ppl have problems reaching 1300m. They must have reduced the Phantom range in FW or something like that.

Any experience with the australien ebay offer?

I modified the original boosters to extend the full length of the antennas like Daves, and the other commercial ones. I made the parabolic surface out of a plastic jug and then used the parabolic outlines to push the circular shape into the needed parabolic shape. I used aluminum tape to cover both the inside and outside of the booster for maximum reflectivity. I made sure the inside surface was as smooth as possible. I then tested the shape of my antenna boosters with a laser to make sure that no matter where the beam hit, it would reflect to the antenna just as a parabola should.

With my original booster, like the one shown from the original poster of this thread, I got 15,100 feet distance from a nearly ideal location where I was about 200 feet above a river valley giving me clean line of sight for 20 miles. This time I got 16,242 feet from a very flat area next to high voltage power lines where I could not have clean line of sight.

The limit of my distance now is safe battery life. 5km out and back is about as much as is possible without really pushing the battery past the low battery warning.

Here is the video I took:

Right on.

Just about any reflector is going to improve range but a parabola with proper focussing is the key to optimization.

With so many DIY designs I imagine some are better than others and explains the variety of results posted here.

I wonder whats going on with the Phantom3 FW, i mean i know ppl in europe flying the Phantom3 in CE norm and reaching 7000m without any mod and now ppl have problems reaching 1300m. They must have reduced the Phantom range in FW or something like that.

Any experience with the australien ebay offer?

Thats because the amount of video channels were reduced from 32 down to 8. The key is to return to firmware 1.1.8. All firmware after has 8 channels.

Thats because the amount of video channels were reduced from 32 down to 8. The key is to return to firmware 1.1.8. All firmware after has 8 channels.

**** i didn't realise DJI did this, was there a particular reason?

I've since updated to the new firmware (was getting weird compass and barometer errors) but my range seems about the same.

Hi guys, I have very good news for everyone who owns a 3D printer: now you can print by yourself your "DJI Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster" since I have published on Thingiverse.com a "ready to be printed" 3D model of a very performant and accurate parabolic antenna for your DJI drone:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:946565

Anyway, for everyone who don't have a 3D printer, I can sell them a printed and well finished Range Booster ready to use with aluminum coating already applied (19,00 € + shipping fees).
If you are interested, contact me at [email protected].

Happy flying!

Reactions: Oso and Captain_Bob
**** i didn't realise DJI did this, was there a particular reason?

I've since updated to the new firmware (was getting weird compass and barometer errors) but my range seems about the same.

What I heard was something about effecting Ham Channels. Regardless, when I bought my P3 dji had(may still have) a advertised out of the box distance of 1.25 miles(6600ft) or 2 kilometers(2000M).

Reactions: david wettlaufer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl