DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

Perhaps cheaper, but also not exactly what I would like. Two important features for me would be easy sliding on and off, plus having the antennas correctly positioned within the device to allow for max signal extension. I certainly appreciate the work that Dave has done, plus his near real time interaction with the forum, but I don't think that his design covers those two features I want.

You completely ignore one important thing, "IT WORKS"! It easily boosted my distance and reception by at least 30% which is awesome considering it required no changes to the RC. You do not need too tweak the antenna position anywhere near as you describe. A millimeter here or there is not going to get you much better connections. Besides you always have the option of simply pointing the entire RC if you are so inclined to think such positioning really makes a difference. If your P3 loses connections due to such minor adjustments you really need to think about boosting the power using an FPVLR kit shown here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1577806512440602/

Reactions: david wettlaufer
You completely ignore one important thing, "IT WORKS"! It easily boosted my distance and reception by at least 30% which is awesome considering it required no changes to the RC. You do not need too tweak the antenna position anywhere near as you describe. A millimeter here or there is not going to get you much better connections. Besides you always have the option of simply pointing the entire RC if you are so inclined to think such positioning really makes a difference. If your P3 loses connections due to such minor adjustments you really need to think about boosting the power using an FPVLR kit shown here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1577806512440602/

It doesn't work in this way !! Better distance doesn't mean a good aligned system !! If SWR of the antenna (shortly the power going back to PA chip due to standing waves) is too high the chip is going to fail very soon, due to NOT correct heat dissipation !!! Be careful!!

Hi klimon. Your reply suggests that you didn't read the rest of the thread. If you had, you would have seen that I said Dave's design is helpful. I never implied it didn't work or mention anything about antenna orientation in relation to the RC or the P3. I'm just looking for something simple, similar to Dave's, but that has the antenna correctly positioned within the device and also requires no hard "snap" to secure. In fact, I hadn't considered that Dave's design also stops a user from adjusting the orientation of the antenna, so for me that is also a concern. Again, that's not saying Dave's design doesn't work. I am just looking for other features before spending. Cheers!

Hi klimon. Your reply suggests that you didn't read the rest of the thread. If you had, you would have seen that I said Dave's design is helpful. I never implied it didn't work or mention anything about antenna orientation in relation to the RC or the P3. I'm just looking for something simple, similar to Dave's, but that has the antenna correctly positioned within the device and also requires no hard "snap" to secure. In fact, I hadn't considered that Dave's design also stops a user from adjusting the orientation of the antenna, so for me that is also a concern. Again, that's not saying Dave's design doesn't work. I am just looking for other features before spending. Cheers!
I have listed 3 options (including Dave's one) so far in the OP for easy reference.

Reactions: Oso
I have listed 3 options (including Dave's one) so far in the OP for easy reference.
I did previously see your post with the links. I think that was nice for you to do. Thanks.

Great mod.....Only downside is if your really out there you have lost site of your bird. If you get too far left or right you have no idea where to directionally point this weapon! Guess that's where the radar symbol in the app helps? I also have 2 leads that I put into my mouth to make myself into a human antenna due to the 80% composition of water to mass ratio.

Reactions: Hummer
PS, are there better metals for conducting signal? I.e. copper, aluminum, titanium, liquid mercury, kryptonite etc?

Reactions: david wettlaufer
PS, are there better metals for conducting signal? I.e. copper, aluminum, titanium, liquid mercury, kryptonite etc?

I too would like to know the answer on this. What about the copper tape like we used to increase GPS reception with the "P2V+"?

And is there anyone who actually has the ability to test the swr reading with the different setups?

Anyone try copper tape? Also, do you think DJI purposely dumbed down the range with the latest software??

.......... If SWR of the antenna (shortly the power going back to PA chip due to standing waves) is too high the chip is going to fail very soon, due to NOT correct heat dissipation !!! Be careful!!
I don't think that's a worry at all, given that the output power of the RC is only like 120mW.

Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3