DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

The FCC required test report data for the Tx indicate only one antenna is transmitting. Is it also used for Rx as well??? That is not covered in the test report as only radiation is tested.

Have you read the RF test report submitted to the FCC for the Tx?

We humans love exploring and living on the edge. Faster, farther out, higher. I did get my windsurfer today and will give it a test, but I have decided to stay within about 20-30% closer than my first weak signal. I've gotten past the big altitude stuff and now concentrate on making beautiful shots that may or may not be a drone. THAT is a challenge now!!

Sent from my PT beating heart

I found it here:
https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2535091

Take a look at last paragraph on page 8.
Tell me what you think.
It's the best info. I've found.
Thanks for the good finding. There seems to be a contradiction (or my misunderstanding) between the Dongguan lab test report and DJI's Lightbridge advertisement in RCGroup http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2101579 back to Feb, 2014.

Frankly speaking in China, you can get whatever test report (true or fake) as long as you pay. I also found some obvious typos in such report, thus I'm unsure how accurate of the report.

Dongguan lab test report stated
------------------------------
Antenna Connector Construction
The EUT has an integral dipole antenna arrangement for transmitting, the antenna gain is 3.5dBi @ 2.4G Band, and another antenna only for receiving, fulfill the requirement of the item.

RCGroup Lightbridge advertisement stated
Strong Anti-Jamming Technology
-Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum(FHSS) + Direct Sequence Spread System(DSSS) technology is used for uplink transmission to enhance stability and offer anti-jamming capability.
-MIMO multi-antenna technology and OFDM modulation methods along with advanced algorithms are utilized for downlink transmission to enhance data bandwidth, improving dynamic performance and increasing stability even in harsh environments.
-Channel interference is constantly monitored during downlink transmission with automatic switching between 8 channels for the best possible signal.
-Up to 8 downlinks can be connected for parallel streaming and work independently without interference.

I have since made some locking clips for it. (down by the antenna).. if you find that you need them just let me know I will send them to you.. I haven't had any issues that would need them but I wanted to cover my bases.. Let us know how well it works for you & I'm glad your happy with it. I love to help out. How did the extra strips of reflective tape hold up? where they marked up much from shipping?

I don't think I'll need the locking clips - we'll see after flying tomorrow morning. The extra strips are unscathed (but I already had a roll of what looks like the same stuff - thanks for that though!)

I tested the Surfboard antenna yesterday and the product is really well made, it fits perfectly and the results were amazing! I got 4k ft. more than my best record.. Great Job David! You now have a loyal customer.

I tested the Surfboard antenna yesterday and the product is really well made, it fits perfectly and the results were amazing! I got 4k ft. more than my best record.. Great Job David! You now have a loyal customer.

What was your new record? Just curious.

Went out this morning at the same place I had tried stock and with my own quickly built DIY version. Results were pretty good:

Stock: 16040' - lost control: RTH
With my booster: 16936' - lost control: RTH
With David's booster: 18857' without losing control. 5 bars on video, 1 bar on control

Screenshot_2015-07-21-08-23-28.png

I didn't push it as I wanted to make sure I had enough battery but it was no problem. I flew ATTI only for a short section on the return and landed with 26%.

Reactions: david wettlaufer
A few things
With Daves Antenna booster.
From my house (my flight path THICK with trees)it gave me a one way range of @2400' (I really want to doube this)which is more then I get, if I go on top of the garage(15' off the ground.) without the booster
I'll be checking LOS distance tomorrow(hopefully)
Something I notice ,with or without the reflector, If i fly to my red light warning limit and hover the warning will stay,,,but once I turn around,I get full bars on HD and RC again. Seems like when the P3 is facing me I get a stronger signal . Is there a reason for this??
Dave ,for some reason you sent me an extra (2 separate packages ,2 separate shipping labels but they were rubberbanded together , would you like to send a Return shipping label ? Or wait till I order something else

Ordered mine today. Wanted to point out that Dave sells gimbal locks/lens covers that fit the Polar Pro filters, which I ordered too. I just got my Polar Pro filters and they have a rubber gripper on the outside edge which made my previous lens cover useless.

Mine also came today. Curious to see how well it works after I get home. I'm not looking to set any crazy distance records like some people are. I'd be happy with only 1 mile of reliable connection.

That's not asking for much is it?

Hi David...

My antenna booster arrived this afternoon. Looks fantastic. Don't think I'll need the clips either...

The extra foil tape was in excellent shape as well.

Really like your attention to detail such as the dimples and cable clip.

Well done !!

:harry

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl