DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

The range extender is back up on the eBay Store. Just ordered one.
I don't see it. Only the P1/P2 version on Daves store

Hello all ...sorry for the late updates but was hard at work over the weekend and I was up all last night & I got all orders out this morning. I listed 5 more windsurfers last night that sold out very quick.... I have listed 5 more this morning that I'm sure will sell out just as fast. I have included locking clips to secure the windsurfer to the controller. You get 2 with every windsurfer now(I will update listing & video soon) ..I will list more but please keep in mind this part takes some time to print and prep.. so could take up to a week because I have other parts coming thru as well. I also wanted to say thank you to everyone for there patience and interest in my designs.. I have many more Great Ideas/designs coming out soon so keep a eye out.

~Cheers~

I ordered last night. Excited to try it out.

Mine arrived today. Excellent piece of gear and makes stability in the antennas as well as a stop for my iPad holder. Excellent attention to detail!!

Sent from my PT beating heart

Reactions: david wettlaufer
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437423182.158102.jpg
thats my new version only one piece

Can't wait to start seeing some reviews of this 3D printed piece. I could have used it today...

View attachment 25357thats my new version only one piece

There was a guy at the park that took some cardboard and aluminum pan and cut out the antenna without a template. funny thing was that it actually did improve his signal a little. I guess the main reason was that it blocks noise from the back.

But the problem with your design and his is that its not reflecting the signal to the antenna, so you are only blocking signal from behind the booster but not improving whats in front of it....

I noticed that you only need 1 antenna with the booster on, since its a MIMO system. So you are better off using the original design only on 1 antenna and moving the other antenna out of the way...

+1

The parabolic feature is lost in many of these attempts to improve the reflectors.

Without proper focus they're not much better than a flat plate.

Reactions: n6vmo
View attachment 25357thats my new version only one piece
Let us know how that works. Neit er antenna is in the sweet spot, and not sure if this design
+1

The parabolic feature is lost in many of these attempts to improve the reflectors.

Without proper focus they're not much better than a flat plate.
I am going to take a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and make an apron to wear while flying my bird.

Reactions: bobmyers
Definition: MIMO is a method of utilizing multiple radio antennas for wireless network communications. Some newer Wi-Fi routers utilize MIMO technology, enhancing their performance compared to single-antenna routers.

MIMO-based Wi-Fi routers utilize the same network protocols and signal ranges that non-MIMO routers do. The MIMO products achieve higher performance by more aggressively transmitting and receiving data over Wi-Fi channels.

MIMO signaling technology can increase network bandwidth, range and reliability at the potential cost of interfering with other wireless equipment.

The specific number of antennas utilized in a MIMO Wi-Fi router can vary. Typical MIMO routers contain three or four antennas instead of the single antenna that is standard in all earlier forms of consumer Wi-Fi routers.

MIMO is a key element of the 802.11n Wi-Fi networking standard.

Also Known As: Multiple-Input Multiple-Output

I'm not a expert on this but being that it is a MIMO system (using more then one antenna) Wouldn't you want both antenna's to be supported by your booster?

Yes in a MIMO system you MUST have all antennas modded to achieve the best results. Only in a diversity setup like with the Phantom 2 vision could you just do one.

I ordered last night. Excited to try it out.

I bought it too, as well as uavbits arm strength...whatever it's called...

Funny...DJI seems to have provided more then third party app companies. Seems like everyone is trying to cash in on DJI.

Here just take it...[emoji385][emoji388][emoji389]

We're dealing with electromagnetic radiation, 2.4GHz, so let's use a higher frequency, light, as an analog...

If you hold up a flat piece of foil or other reflective material towards the Sun you can create a refelction onto a secondary object.
Now, focus that same refelction by warping the reflector appropriately and it is obvious how the energy is concentrated.

So even a flat plate will produce results but a focussed device will be much better.

As far as both antennas being aided, it makes sense even IF one is Tx only and the other Rx only.

To achieve BEST results for bandwidth, not for range... You don't need the highest bandwidth to still have a decent 720p picture. By having 2 antennas out of polarity (in the V shape) you're just making it worse by using them as the OP has shown. By using only 1 and keeping the antennas perfectly vertical I got equal results. Actually I even went as far as to keep one antenna horizontal to the ground and the one with the reflector vertical and I still got the same result... So what that means, is that I can actually use a bigger reflector like the original 12dbi windsurfer on 1 antenna and get even more range.
Just because its MIMO doesn't mean both antennas need equal signal, or that both antennas both get signal. Only 1 needs decent signal...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl