Distance you can fly from the transmitter?

Reaction score
Any idea how far you can fly from the transmitter? Of course you don't want to go to far then you can't see it. I'm just curious and know you could use IOC in case you get in that position.

You might want to do a little searching.

Every tenth thread talks about how far people go and what limits them.

And people fly out of site all the time

"Common sense" is generally the limit, rather than the range of the transmitter. I can certainly fly as far away as I'd ever want to without loss of either control or FPV.

WTF is a 1.5th?

e422de56fd29850e9a2b4346397c326b.jpg

steelpix said:
Any idea how far you can fly from the transmitter? Of course you don't want to go to far then you can't see it. I'm just curious and know you could use IOC in case you get in that position.

>Of course you don't want to go to far then you can't see it.

Hehe, oh really? :) I did a few long distance runs using my stock transmitter. Here's a video I made going 2200 meters (1.2 miles) from home point over the ocean. In this particular case I took off into a mist layer that obscured my view of the phantom after about 80 meters:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7PATkpsrU[/youtube]

But my personal best is 2650 meters (1.65 miles). Again, it was ideal conditions over ocean with no interference:

phantom-2647m.jpg

I had complete Tx control of the P2 in both cases, so I'm tempted to go even farther sometime. :)

steelpix said:
But my personal best is 2650 meters (1.65 miles). Again, it was ideal conditions over ocean
I had complete Tx control of the P2 in both cases, so I'm tempted to go even farther sometime. :)
[/quote]

That's awesome. What kind of video transmitter and antennas do you have on your FPV?

I've been nervous to go too far in case I get too far out of controler range since RTH is very slow. It wouldn't be good to RTH from far since battery could get low coming back at a snail's pace with RTH

knuckles said:
That's awesome. What kind of video transmitter and antennas do you have on your FPV?

My setup is in the comments section of the Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7PATkpsrU

For the above video I used $7 chinese skew/planar antennas on both Rx and Tx. That got me to 2200m. I have since upgraded to FPVLR helical on the Rx and have seen 2650m.

knuckles said:
I've been nervous to go too far in case I get too far out of controler range since RTH is very slow. It wouldn't be good to RTH from far since battery could get low coming back at a snail's pace with RTH

I wouldn't recommend doing a max range test without FPV. However, my brother has taken his FC40 to great ranges w/o FPV by using home-lock mode and making sure he flew away from home point for less than 5 minutes before returning.

jflyer3 said:
steelpix said:

>Of course you don't want to go to far then you can't see it.

Hehe, oh really? :) I did a few long distance runs using my stock transmitter. Here's a video I made going 2200 meters (1.2 miles) from home point over the ocean. In this particular case I took off into a mist layer that obscured my view of the phantom after about 80 meters:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7PATkpsrU[/youtube]

But my personal best is 2650 meters (1.65 miles). Again, it was ideal conditions over ocean with no interference:

phantom-2647m.jpg

WAO !!! That's awesome ! Congrats and thanks for sharing !!!......just one silly question, on your monitor it shows # of satellites at less than 6; would you still have been able to HL it or Homesafe in case you lost stock signal or issue with stock batteries?.....just asking as I always, when going far, bring it back home as soon as number of satellites is less than 6 assuming that the HL or HomeSafe would not work. Thanks again for sharing

ZAPPATA007 said:
WAO !!! That's awesome ! Congrats and thanks for sharing !!!......just one silly question, on your monitor it shows # of satellites at less than 6;

Look again - it actually shows 14 satellites. The "1" is partially hidden by the battery icon.

Great video. I am just having a hard time going over water. Or lots of it anyway.

Maybe because I know I have to just turn around and go home if it drops in the drink.

I have a lake less than mile from home that is big enough for some long distance runs across it. Just havens worked up to it yet.

Thanks for sharing.

Having "mislaid" my Phantom (pilot error, not a "flyaway"), and been fortunate enough to get it back again (thank goodness I had a label on it with my phone number on, and the person whose garden it landed in was kind enough to phone me) I'm going to stick to flying it within visual range. For me personally, flying so far away just isn't worth the risk.

I did just over 1/2 mile today at 1008 meters. My FPV display started to get grainy but I never lost video. I just brought it back it never did a RTH. I think that's about as far I want to go for anything I doubt I want to push the distance limit or try to hit the max. It was a fun morning of flying until some indians came along and asked me what I was doing on the reservation. I was in the car ready to leave anyhow :)

knuckles said:
It was a fun morning of flying until some indians came along and asked me what I was doing on the reservation. I was in the car ready to leave anyhow :)

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm in the UK, but are people actually banned from going into areas that are reservations. and are they large areas? Sounds kind of oppressive to have someone come and ask you what you are doing there? :?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl