Distance Mods

Everywhere in the world wifi signals are regulated. Max power is part of the regulation. Using a booster (most of them the cheap kind with lots of harmonics) is not a good thing in urban areas (which is what I'm commenting about). I do understand radio signals pretty well (having started building radios in the 70s and installing wifi networks since 1997), and a wifi booster is potentially problematic, especially when positioned in a flying drone over urban areas

You seem to live in the USA, FCC rules are pretty clear wrt wifi boosters (unless you have an FCC license, in which case you might or might not be in compliance). Using a booster puts you out of FCC compliance as a non FCC licensed operator

Antenna mods are completely different (and not an issue)
I hear you.... and I use what works (not interfering with what matters). Did you stop at all stop signs to 0 mph (kph) in the last week? What I'm referring to is the all important " Common sense" matter. ALL transmissions cause interference. Does ours cause interference that would interfere with important matters? That's the subject of boosted signal.

I think we are going way of topic for the OP .... but ...

One of the aspects of RF signals that plagues the world of RF is the issue of side lobes and the harmonic frequencies.
As you boost a signal you often increase the unwanted side lobes as well as the main frequency you wish to use.

So although you may be having a great time - someone else may not be ...

Nigel

Reactions: robca
I think we are going way of topic for the OP .... but ...

One of the aspects of RF signals that plagues the world of RF is the issue of side lobes and the harmonic frequencies.
As you boost a signal you often increase the unwanted side lobes as well as the main frequency you wish to use.

So although you may be having a great time - someone else may not be ...

Nigel
Which was exactly my point, thanks Nigel.

Now, I'm not here to tell people what to do. I noticed that most booster users are not aware of the issues (both in terms of being out of compliance and potentially liable, but more importantly in terms of creating problems to other people), so I wanted to point it out and help keep our hobby "safe". The more of us create problems to other folks, the more likely we are to get unwanted regulation that will prevent us from enjoying the hobby.

Thank you sole
. I think we are going way of topic for the OP
This has and let's please ...
IMG_8328.PNG

Reactions: gnarlyvarúlfr
I've yet to use my boosters, the DBS has always gotten me out to where I want to go and then some. As with anything these are suggestions.. What you do with it and how you go about educating yourself is on you. But I know a pretty good forum. Lol

Reactions: stones
The Argtek antennas make a huge difference with distance. They also provide more stability so you don't lose connection with the AC including video signal.

You can laugh all you want I got 18000 feet distance before I ran out of battery to Rth kicked in. All with a 20 dollar antenna booster that you slide over the existing antenna . I only lost one bar on remote signal to drone. Got back with 3% battery scary. 11000 feet lost signal without it on. Flat land open area test done in.

Reactions: gnarlyvarúlfr
Thousands of ppl for years have put a piece of tin behind their home modem for its parabolic action. No arrests on that. Ppl need to get out of the city, get in your car a drive to the woods. The worst thing for quads is everyone wanting to fly from their front door or around factories with large towers. Human error in the city is at least doubled. In fact all I see on this forum is human error over and over and then try to blame on DJI. I just don't see doing a mod on your controller and reprogramming your software to get less than ppl with a windsurfer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing