Difference in distance between Phantom 2 and vision +

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new in this domain but i would really like to purchase a quadcopter to capture videos from my surroundings but i am coming across so many different specs that i need to ask you're advice guys. First I wanted to know if I decide to purchase a Phantom 3 H3-3d, how far will it go without any extra equipment compared to the Vision + without extra equipment.

Also, For the phantom 2 will i be able to link it to my iPhone/Ipad to generate a direct video link between both devices. Also do I need an Internet connection to fly or can I use the quadcopter anywhere?

Thats about it for now. Thanks :)

PS: I am planning to buy a cheap quadcopter to train myself first before i fly the Phantom 2.

dondunca said:
Hi,

I am new in this domain but i would really like to purchase a quadcopter to capture videos from my surroundings but i am coming across so many different specs that i need to ask you're advice guys. First I wanted to know if I decide to purchase a Phantom 3 H3-3d, how far will it go without any extra equipment compared to the Vision + without extra equipment.

Also, For the phantom 2 will i be able to link it to my iPhone/Ipad to generate a direct video link between both devices. Also do I need an Internet connection to fly or can I use the quadcopter anywhere?

Thats about it for now. Thanks :)

PS: I am planning to buy a cheap quadcopter to train myself first before i fly the Phantom 2.

sounds like you're at least pretty clear on the difference between the regular Phantom2 and the Vision models. The effective FLIGHT range of a Phantom 2 (vision or non-vision) is multiple kilometers - much father than you can safely go on a single battery. so in terms of controlling the device, they're the same. In terms of live FPV: The Vision model is a complete setup, ready to fly and do FPV to a mobile device out of the box, but at the cost of range and upgrade ability.

The Vision models use wifi and a range extender so you can see the video feed live via wifi on a mobile device. your device would connect straight to the Phantom's wifi so you would not be attached to any other network, you don't need any internet or over the air service for this to work.

If you go with a non-Vision model with a gimbal (which usually comes bundled) and a GoPro, theoretically with proper FPV equipment you can get much greater range if you put on a strong video transmitter and get good antennas... but this route is a little more technical and geeky, you may have to solder a few things but ultimately it's a stronger more flexible system and a GoPro is superior to the Vision built-in camera. I would suggest watching this video to get a feel for exactly what is involved with installing an iOSD Mini and FPV kit to a standard Phantom2. it's really not that hard.
If you want to spend more money for a kit that you don't necessarily have to solder there are tons of RC & hobby shops selling kits you can buy (look up the KumbaCam kit).

To answer another of your questions, the second route (non-Vision with FPV transmitter) you will NOT be streaming to a mobile device via wifi. you're actually transmitting video on a 5.8Ghz frequency and as such you'll need a display like the Boscam RX-LCD5802 ($150us from some places) or if you want to get fancy there's goggles all the way up to $700 or so.

derp I didn't realize this was a dupe thread

Sorry for disappointing you QYV.

However, you helped me a lot and actually provided to me exactly the insight i was looking for. I think I am going to Go with the Phantom 2 H3-3d and I will add accessories on it, if it is as you can say not that hard.

Thank you so much for the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan