Dealing with people

I don't like people approaching to me as well when I am flying. I ordered one of the vest and yes, they may not work at all but at least it identified you and what you doing in case one of these crazy people called the police.
It also makes you a target, and even if the drone is nowhere to be seen, you now stand out, and they will gather around, waiting for the landing. I'm not a fan, despite the good intentions. Bystanders may also call the police because of the vest, because now they know what you are doing, and may not like it. The police now have a right to stop and demand ID and FAA certificate, stopping your flight to investigate and gather evidence. Also, many local jurisdictions have now created additional local municipal code violations that give the police arrest powers for perceived violations of FAA regulations. Don't wave a red flag in front of a bull! :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
It also makes you a target, and even if the drone is nowhere to be seen, you now stand out, and they will gather around, waiting for the landing. I'm not a fan, despite the good intentions. Bystanders may also call the police because of the vest, because now they know what you are doing, and may not like it. The police now have a right to stop and demand ID and FAA certificate, stopping your flight to investigate and gather evidence. Also, many local jurisdictions have now created additional local municipal code violations that give the police arrest powers for perceived violations of FAA regulations. Don't wave a red flag in front of a bull! :eek:
Unless you are flying in an illegal or prohibited area, then yes... Other than that, if the area is legal for drones, nothing will happen. The vest identified you and will make people aware of what you doing.

Unless you are flying in an illegal or prohibited area, then yes... Other than that, if the area is legal for drones, nothing will happen. The vest identified you and will make people aware of what you doing.
Unfortunately, if anyone objects to you flying anywhere, they can still call a cop and allege you are invading privacy and flying over people or flying carelessly and recklessly, even if unprovable and untrue, and the police must investigate. A guy with a remote in his hands looking at a screen could be just watching Netflix. Putting on a vest telling everyone you are the pilot of a drone in the air in public is just asking for trouble, and be more likely lead to gathering a crowd of onlookers, instead of being ignored. YMMV. :cool:

Unfortunately, if anyone objects to you flying anywhere, they can still call a cop and allege you are invading privacy and flying over people or flying carelessly and recklessly, even if unprovable and untrue, and the police must investigate. A guy with a remote in his hands looking at a screen could be just watching Netflix. Putting on a vest telling everyone you are the pilot of a drone in the air in public is just asking for trouble, and be more likely lead to gathering a crowd of onlookers, instead of being ignored. YMMV. :cool:
Looks like where you are from they have an issue with drones... You had few troubles with it. Me, never had a single one. Good luck buddy.

No wonder the Drone world is leading the RC hobby into regulation and limitations !!

For decades RC has been a sport that had little limitation other than Insurance and Public Liability ... usually looked after by joining a Club or Association. Then along came Multi-Rotors and ability to fly in small areas - areas that traditional RC literally cannot. The idiots appeared then - wanting to video everything they could ... even flying in streets and over crowded beaches ... amongst houses and apartment buildings.
Getting that shot of a forest fire and in so doing causing Fire Fighters to not fly till Drone downed.
It got really ridiculous when a Multi-Rotor was shown to have a GUN fitted and actually firing .... video up on Youtube if anyone doesn't believe.

Is it any wonder that now we have a problem ? For the sake of the idiots we now have general Anti-Drone spirit in the public. It does not matter why or how it comes about. It is there.

This brings on us as i said earlier - the job of being 'nice' and informative to those who ask / pester us when flying. If you are nervous about talking while flying - then politely advise them - you need to concentrate on the flying but will answer once landed. Never say - its unsafe to talk and fly - that implies unsafe actions and can lead to more misunderstanding.

We need to educate / inform / demonstrate to the public that we are no threat to them. Without provative vests and paraphernalia that implies something else.

You want to be able to fly in public places, you want to be respected as a pilot and not hassled. You don't want unnecessary legislation and restrictions on your hobby. THEN it is incumbent upon you to act and be of such that public appreciate what you do. Some of the posts here are for me what we really do not need. Especially when various posts here illustrate what I have said all along ... that being nice and demonstrating actually pays dividends and helps public understand.

Please ... for those who are anti ... Please lose the anti stance and try to be more accommodating to the public ! It only comes back on us all.

Nigel

Looks like where you are from they have an issue with drones... You had few troubles with it. Me, never had a single one. Good luck buddy.
Indeed. Unfortunately, the media is feeding the drone paranoia, and the public is gobbling it up, and the local municipalities are eager to enact local laws to prevent the sky from falling. :rolleyes: Flying under the radar is the wisest approach under those circumstances. Fortunately, I am very good at it! ;)

Reactions: ifly2high
No wonder the Drone world is leading the RC hobby into regulation and limitations !!

For decades RC has been a sport that had little limitation other than Insurance and Public Liability ... usually looked after by joining a Club or Association. Then along came Multi-Rotors and ability to fly in small areas - areas that traditional RC literally cannot. The idiots appeared then - wanting to video everything they could ... even flying in streets and over crowded beaches ... amongst houses and apartment buildings.
Getting that shot of a forest fire and in so doing causing Fire Fighters to not fly till Drone downed.
It got really ridiculous when a Multi-Rotor was shown to have a GUN fitted and actually firing .... video up on Youtube if anyone doesn't believe.

Is it any wonder that now we have a problem ? For the sake of the idiots we now have general Anti-Drone spirit in the public. It does not matter why or how it comes about. It is there.

This brings on us as i said earlier - the job of being 'nice' and informative to those who ask / pester us when flying. If you are nervous about talking while flying - then politely advise them - you need to concentrate on the flying but will answer once landed. Never say - its unsafe to talk and fly - that implies unsafe actions and can lead to more misunderstanding.

We need to educate / inform / demonstrate to the public that we are no threat to them. Without provative vests and paraphernalia that implies something else.

You want to be able to fly in public places, you want to be respected as a pilot and not hassled. You don't want unnecessary legislation and restrictions on your hobby. THEN it is incumbent upon you to act and be of such that public appreciate what you do. Some of the posts here are for me what we really do not need. Especially when various posts here illustrate what I have said all along ... that being nice and demonstrating actually pays dividends and helps public understand.

Please ... for those who are anti ... Please lose the anti stance and try to be more accommodating to the public ! It only comes back on us all.

Nigel
That ship sailed long ago. Avoid confrontation, be discrete and respectful, and get in and get out, while attracting as little attention as possible. That's my sage advice. :cool:

Media hyping it up is true.

Take the case of the Airbus landing at Heathrow ....

Media was all over it ... the 'Drone' flying close by the aircraft on its approach to Heathrow ...

Big news !

Later it turns out that actually Pilot never claimed it was a Drone ... in fact it was more likely to be a black plastic bag caught in a thermal updraft !!
The aircraft doing about 300knots at the time ... at about 10,000ft .... figures that no drone in OUR hands could ever reach !! How can a person recognise in a split second any object whizzing by at that sort of speed and while concentrating on landing !!

But of course the second part of the story was only extremely minor news item ... in fact near buried as to not destroy the initial report !

That is only one example of the Public's view on our hobby. Bunch of big kids with toys that can create dangerous events ...

Nigel

That ship sailed long ago. Avoid confrontation, be discrete and respectful, and get in and get out, while attracting as little attention as possible. That's my sage advice. :cool:

Yes agreed .... but in doing it ... be NICE ! We are ambassadors for a misunderstood hobby.

I know first hand the different view of normal RC and Multi Rotor ...

People are in awe and appreciate the fixed wing model I fly ... questions about how long to build, how long does it fly ... how high ... how far ... real good interest that is not anti.
But open the Phantom bag - the questions and style is totally different and you can 'feel' the anti sentiment from some ... no longer is it people friendly and interested - but a mixed bag of for and against the drone they see.

That's my observation .... I know some may not agree ...

Nigel

Remove STAND CLEAR and replace with DO NOT DISTRACT.

That should calm those who believe stand clear is alarmist while informing those who would interfere with an operator they should not be disturbed while flying.

I will chat, briefly, if I am in a spot where I can do so. However, it doesn't hurt to toss out, "hey, my battery is only good for x minutes, give me a few moments and I will answer your questions."

I also point out that I have volunteered to our local media several times to show them an actual craft and it's capabilities and none have taken me up on it, preferring to report on something they may not fully understand to whatever end they wish.

I also point out how close it has to get in order to see a person in recognizable fashion and then point out the noise.

I say can you spy with them? Yes, by why would you when there are more stealthy ways to accomplish this than standing, with a remote controlled swarm of pissed off bees (something not many will ignore)?

Hi All,
I was flying my drone yesterday at a field where I normally fly and someone walked up to me and asked hat I was doing and thought I was spying. I tried to show them that I wasn't doing that but I landed it anyways and left. What is the best way to deal with people like that and what are the rules I live in Illinois in the USA.
I assume you are flying for sport/fun. For basic information on what and where to not fly, checkout the FAA UAS website. If you are planning to fly professionally, go through a ground school webcourse and or other free education resources, and then use your knowledge to guide your actions and interactions.
I fly as part of my job, and have found that use of construction PPE, (personal protection equipment), a hardhat and safety vest, (unmarked), keeps people at a distance while the UAS is in the air, and generally I don't hang around long before or after I fly a survey.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I saw his video in YouTube and yes, he did nothing wrong. The only that may had attracted them was when he hand waving a police boat passing near by. It might be an innocent approach but for some police guys, it's like giving the middle finger to them.
Yes, not wise to poke the bear! :rolleyes:

Sorry, but just before you call them doesn't mean that they will come. Our dispatchers are very good at telling people that nothing illegal has happened and to have a nice day. Call back a second time, and they will get a much more hostile warning to not call back about it again. Call back a third time, and they are liable to get a visit that they will not like. We don't "have to" personally waste time with non-criminal matters, nor do local law enforcement officers commonly enforce federal codes and statues. I actually love the vest idea.

Sorry, but just before you call them doesn't mean that they will come. Our dispatchers are very good at telling people that nothing illegal has happened and to have a nice day. Call back a second time, and they will get a much more hostile warning to not call back about it again. Call back a third time, and they are liable to get a visit that they will not like. We don't "have to" personally waste time with non-criminal matters, nor do local law enforcement officers commonly enforce federal codes and statues. I actually love the vest idea.
When a caller alleges an invasion of privacy, or careless and reckless flying, both of which are criminal matters in every jurisdiction, no dispatcher can properly state that "nothing illegal has happened." The police are obligated to respond and investigate. It may not be promptly, but LEO have the right to verify registration of any drone pilot and collect evidence for the FAA, in addition to investigating any alleged criminal matters. Municipalities are also now creating new criminal muni codes to allow LEO to cite and arrest drone flyers for FAA violations. Don't assume you immune. Know all local laws, in addition to FAA regs, that you may be subject to, relating to not only where you fly, but how you fly. "Flying under the radar" so to speak, is often wiser than putting a target on your back.:cool:

When a caller alleges an invasion of privacy, or careless and reckless flying, both of which are criminal matters in every jurisdiction, no dispatcher can properly state that "nothing illegal has happened." The police are obligated to respond and investigate. It may not be promptly, but LEO have the right to verify registration of any drone pilot and collect evidence for the FAA, in addition to investigating any alleged criminal matters. Municipalities are also now creating new criminal muni codes to allow LEO to cite and arrest drone flyers for FAA violations. Don't assume you immune. Know all local laws, in addition to FAA regs, that you may be subject to, relating to not only where you fly, but how you fly. "Flying under the radar" so to speak, is often wiser than putting a target on your back.:cool:

Sorry, but you are wrong, at least for California. A dispatcher has the obligation to collect enough information to properly classify the call. If the information leads the dispatcher to believe that a criminal violation has not occurred, it is well within their authority to say "Sorry Charlie", we aren't coming. If I heard my dispatcher giving out a call to one of my deputies, I would be calling dispatch to see why on earth that call was going out, especially without talking it over with me first! If it was because the caller was a jerk and insisted that we respond, I would be the one going out to talk to the caller - and it wouldn't be to take a report! If our dispatchers didn't screen the calls, we wouldn't have time to do anything.

No local law enforcement in my area (including myself) care a bit enforcing FAA regulations. We have local and state laws to enforce, and none of our city or county codes have anything to do with FAA regulations, so don't make any blanket assumptions about what law enforcement will or will not do. Speaking for the portions of California that I have contact with, unless it is a VERY boring day (which almost never happens) you can call and complain about a drone all you want, but unless it actually runs into somebody, I'm not coming.

Reactions: 805hd

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart