Current Thoughts On Best Parts for FPV Kit *From Scratch*?

Re: Current Thoughts On Best Parts for FPV Kit *From Scratch

Paloose said:
I just want to be clear- are we to use one of these antenna on the Immersion 600mw Tx or keep the stock one on it? I saw these were on the radio controller so what about the bird? I would like to see a photo of the set up on the bird. Thanks

ok first: so that you know I'm not just making this stuff up about how important antennas are, watch the first 5 minutes of this video about 5.8Ghz FPV. The really important bits about antenna are in the 2-5 min range... the rest of the video is more about weight conservation and fixed wing RC which doesn't really apply to us so I wouldn't bother watching the whole thing, but inside the first 5 he demonstrates why the stock antennas are such crap in a better visual way than I can describe.

now, to your question: after watching the video, you'll understand why the "stock" antennas (little black stick) that come with transmitters and receivers are crap. The expectation from those manufacturers is that you're going to be getting aftermarket antennas that apply best to you (type of device, range, budget, etc)... so to answer your question you're going to want upgraded antennas on both sides... the transmitter and the receiver.
Now that we've reached this point, you can go in many different directions, imo mainly based on your budget.. real quick let's make sure you understand the difference between directional or omnidirectional. google them to get a visual reference: "pinwheel" and "cloverleaf" are omnidirectional, "helix" are directional.
whether it's transmitting or receiving a directional antenna generally has longer range but has to be pointed directly at the other antenna. An omnidirectional antenna is generally shorter range but puts out (or receives from) a spherical shaped pattern which can be received in any direction. You'll notice I said "generally" in there twice, that's because the quality of the antenna you buy greatly affects it's performance. A $10 cheapass antenna is not going to perform the same as a $60 top quality one.

So therefore: you want a nice omnidirectional antenna on the transmitter on the Phantom... so that no matter what direction the Phantom is facing, you have a good chance of receiving the signal. On the receiving side (your display or goggles) this is where "diversity" comes in... if your receiver has 2 antenna ports, it will automatically use the signal from the stronger antenna. So folks like me with a decent budget will get both an omnidirectional and a longer range directional antenna for the receiver... hence the FPVLR bundle (1Tx 2Rx) I always recommend since it comes with all 3 (and they're top quality).

Alternately if something like $110 is simply out of your antenna budget there are plenty of 2-antenna bundles (1Tx 1 Rx) out there in the $40-$60 range that work just fine but you won't have a helix to fall back on if you exceed their range... and remember the range you get will change drastically depending on your environment. rural vs city is the most obvious example but there can be interference anywhere.. power lines, etc.

so like, sometimes I run just with the pinwheels and I don't even have to worry about what direction I'm facing or where the Phantom is in relation to me, I just watch the FPV. however, there are some times (like flying over Manhattan) that there's too much interference for the receiving pinwheel, so I swap to the helix... now I have to make sure I keep the antenna facing towards the Phantom because if I turn away the FPV goes poof!

does that help? I can ramble about this **** all day if you have more questions. Attached is a pic of the rear of my Phantom... ignore the bit about the RC antenna, the big black antenna is the FPVLR pinwheel on my transmitter which I have down between the legs as much as possible, but it IS longer than the legs so I have to put it at a bit of an angle. I've never had any issues with FPV signal with my transmitter antenna in this orientation

Attachments

• FPV and RC ant 1.JPG
    FPV and RC ant 1.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 394

Thanks for taking the time . You made it very clear. I will get the pinwheel for the transmitter and one of each for the receiver( pinwheel and helix) Your expertise and sharing it is appreciated.

Paloose said:
Thanks for taking the time . You made it very clear. I will get the pinwheel for the transmitter and one of each for the receiver( pinwheel and helix) Your expertise and sharing it is appreciated.

my pleasure. If you wind up getting the kit from FPVLR, just be clear in the comments section when you order exactly which transmitter and receiver you have so he gets the connectors right. email the sales @ fpvlr email if you want to start a dialog

Don't waste your time or money with anything other than light bridge... See the awesome videos in my signature :)

lucid111 said:
Don't waste your time or money with anything other than light bridge... See the awesome videos in my signature :)

to be fair, most of us don't feel like dropping 2x the cost of the Phantom just to have HD FPV. Sure those are nice videos, but that doesn't really relate to whether your FPV was SD or HD... those are more about the quality of the camera and it's settings.

lucid111 said:

Congratulations, you just won the prize for "Most pompous, conceited and arrogant forum post" I've ever read.

QYV said:
lucid111 said:

to be fair, most of us don't feel like dropping 2x the cost of the Phantom just to have HD FPV. Sure those are nice videos, but that doesn't really relate to whether your FPV was SD or HD... those are more about the quality of the camera and it's settings.

If you did your research you're not just buying HD FPV you're getting the following: Telemetry Compass, Altitude, distance, speed, system messages within the OSD, long distance up to 3 miles (8 miles reported by other users), and of course the HD downstream which will not conflict with anyone else's FPV. I've heard horror stories of people using the analog FPV where their signals mix with other 5.8Ghz FPV and they crash a lot. With Lightbridge it's fully digital and interference-free.

BostonPhotog said:
lucid111 said:

Congratulations, you just won the prize for "Most pompous, conceited and arrogant forum post" I've ever read.

It's just straight up the truth... Don't hate...Besides, re-read this forum's topic name: Current Thoughts On Best Parts for FPV Kit *From Scratch*?

lucid111 said:
It's just straight up the truth... Don't hate...Besides, re-read this forum's topic name: Current Thoughts On Best Parts for FPV Kit *From Scratch*?

lol technically, he's right. the BEST FPV is the Lightbridge. it's also the most expensive by a factor of about 4 :)

Your previous points were all valid too, you do get all those benefits but for me personally the cost/benefit isn't enough. I already have telemetry data from my $80 iOSD Mini, I rarely fly around other other people with 5.8Ghz FPV and if I did and there was a conflict it would take me about 30 seconds to switch to a free channel. Even if somehow I completely lost FPV in flight I trust RTH to at least get it back to visual flight range... it has done so many times.

People aren't taking Phantoms anywhere near that far are they? 8 miles? even 3 miles is like the record and those are the guys literally doing nothing but trying to set a record under ideal conditions and landing with 2% battery... not my bag baby. for me personally and I humbly suggest most casual Phantom pilots have our $60 Video Tx and a $100 set of antennas the FPV range exceeds any normal use of the Phantom. My battery or RC controls give out well before my FPV.

anyway, just offering some counterpoints nbd there's no right or wrong here.

QYV said:
lucid111 said:

lol technically, he's right. the BEST FPV is the Lightbridge. it's also the most expensive by a factor of about 4 :)

Your previous points were all valid too, you do get all those benefits but for me personally the cost/benefit isn't enough. I already have telemetry data from my $80 iOSD Mini, I rarely fly around other other people with 5.8Ghz FPV and if I did and there was a conflict it would take me about 30 seconds to switch to a free channel. Even if somehow I completely lost FPV in flight I trust RTH to at least get it back to visual flight range... it has done so many times.

People aren't taking Phantoms anywhere near that far are they? 8 miles? even 3 miles is like the record and those are the guys literally doing nothing but trying to set a record under ideal conditions and landing with 2% battery... not my bag baby. for me personally and I humbly suggest most casual Phantom pilots have our $60 Video Tx and a $100 set of antennas the FPV range exceeds any normal use of the Phantom. My battery or RC controls give out well before my FPV.

anyway, just offering some counterpoints nbd there's no right or wrong here.

Thank you for your unbiased opinion and confirming I am correct and not the names which the other forum member called me. While it's pricier it should not be left out of the FPV forum., It's a premium all in one solution which doesn't requiring modding a whole lot. You would love it...

I want to have the best antennae so that I can maximize the quality of signal even if I'm not flying at these crazy distances. I'm not sure if it is correct logic that an antenna capable of achieving long transmission distances is inherently better at delivering a more stable/reliable signal at a shorter distance. This is what I've based my decision on, however.

tferrari said:
I want to have the best antennae so that I can maximize the quality of signal even if I'm not flying at these crazy distances. I'm not sure if it is correct logic that an antenna capable of achieving long transmission distances is inherently better at delivering a more stable/reliable signal at a shorter distance. This is what I've based my decision on, however.

Dude... You don't want all the hiccups from all the other "alternative" solutions. Save yourself time, grief, and headaches by just getting Lightbridge for FPV. It's an investment you won't regret. The other solutions are outdated and tacky. Anyone who recommends them to you will only bring you regret and a bag of hurt. Heed my warning.

lucid111 said:
tferrari said:

Dude... You don't want all the hiccups from all the other "alternative" solutions. Save yourself time, grief, and headaches by just getting Lightbridge for FPV. It's an investment you won't regret. The other solutions are outdated and tacky. Anyone who recommends them to you will only bring you regret and a bag of hurt. Heed my warning.

Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling your reply is mixed both with fact and opinion but is appreciated.

I am sure that the Lightbridge is a fantastic solution for FPV and comes without as many headaches and headscratchers when compared to some of the other solutions for FPV, but there are quite a number of people who enjoy the customization with third-party products and feel they get good results with them.

If I find that my expected results can't be achieved with some of the other products I'm interested in, a Lightbridge is certainly on my list. Hopefully I don't lose my Phantom due to an FPV problem before that time comes!

tferrari said:
Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling your reply is mixed both with fact and opinion but is appreciated.

If I find that my expected results can't be achieved with some of the other products I'm interested in, a Lightbridge is certainly on my list. Hopefully I don't lose my Phantom due to an FPV problem before that time comes!

Very perceptive :) with respect to Lucid, "normal" FPV systems aren't outdated or tacky and they work perfectly fine without costing a fortune... and if you go with the ImmersionRC transmitter and pre-made cable installation is literally a snap. Definitely include an iOSD mini for telemetry.

Spring for premium antennas and you shouldn't have any trouble with signal loss... however even if you do you should have tested and be confident with the Phantom's Failsafe/Return To Home feature: how to trigger it manually (with the RC switch) and how to get control back so you can resume manual flight when it's in that mode.

If you don't know about that let us know I'll be happy to elaborate

QYV said:
Very perceptive :) with respect to Lucid, "normal" FPV systems aren't outdated or tacky and they work perfectly fine without costing a fortune... and if you go with the ImmersionRC transmitter and pre-made cable installation is literally a snap. Definitely include an iOSD mini for telemetry.

Spring for premium antennas and you shouldn't have any trouble with signal loss... however even if you do you should have tested and be confident with the Phantom's Failsafe/Return To Home feature: how to trigger it manually (with the RC switch) and how to get control back so you can resume manual flight when it's in that mode.

If you don't know about that let us know I'll be happy to elaborate

I would tend to agree with your overview QYV.

I'm pretty well set up with FPV at this point but I was just posting in this thread to share my opinion on why I purchased FPVLR antennae even though I'm not planning on making the 15000ft+ journeys with them.

Happy flyin bud!

tferrari said:
lucid111 said:
tferrari said:

I am sure that the Lightbridge is a fantastic solution for FPV and comes without as many headaches and headscratchers when compared to some of the other solutions for FPV, but there are quite a number of people who enjoy the customization with third-party products and feel they get good results with them.

Here's an metaphor of what I'm trying to convey to you...While some people enjoy fixing up Honda Civics with mods to make them rice rockets, others who appreciate quality would had bought the true sports car like a Camaro right off the lot instead. More headaches "upgrading" a Honda Civic when you could had just bought the sports car with all the bells and whistles straight out :roll: ... Do you get what I'm saying here?

lucid111 said:
Here's an metaphor of what I'm trying to convey to you...While some people enjoy fixing up Honda Civics with mods to make them rice rockets, others who appreciate quality would had bought the true sports car like a Camaro right off the lot instead. More headaches "upgrading" a Honda Civic when you could had just bought the sports car with all the bells and whistles straight out :roll: ... Do you get what I'm saying here?

Of course man and I totally agree with ya. I just hope I don't regret my rice rocket down the road, ha!

tferrari said:
Of course man and I totally agree with ya. I just hope I don't regret my rice rocket down the road, ha!

Here are some examples of the problems you face when you try to penny pinch and not do it right the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX9XW3ie5Ho <--- It's snowing!!!!! Oh wait, that's a bad "custom" FPV setup. :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYbgg2hFF4 <---He almost lost his, until his RTH kicked in :oops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX5bWoWcSb4 <--- This guy had one of those Fatshark FPV's and ended up crashing his :|

lucid111 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX9XW3ie5Ho <--- It's snowing!!!!! Oh wait, that's a bad "custom" FPV setup. :shock:

Clearly there is something wrong with his setup. Perhaps he got a lemon or doesn't have the knowledge on how to set it up? I didn't watch the whole video or read all the comments. There are people with this same setup who do not have these issues though...

lucid111 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYbgg2hFF4 <---He almost lost his, until his RTH kicked in :oops:

Definitely a distance limit with this setup. I wonder why someone wouldn't fly it backwards for 200m on their return flight rather than turning it around and risking this issue?? Definitely a limitation to the equipment, but also definitely user error and lack of judgment.

lucid111 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX5bWoWcSb4 <--- This guy had one of those Fatshark FPV's and ended up crashing his :|

Look at the joke of an antenna he is using for his video transmitter! This already shows he doesn't have the correct knowledge for a quality FPV setup.

Secondly, this is cherry picking man! Clearly there is a bigger issue at hand since his red lights looked to be flashing as he's crashing. People also mentioned he used TAPE on one of his props?? What the hell is that?

---

Ultimately, one has to weigh the cost of the Lightbridge against what it will give in return. This is how value is computed. For me, I think I would absolutely love to use a Lightbridge because I like things that work. I wouldn't have a problem spending the money either. I just REALLY believe that I can get a very good reliable setup for less than half of the cost. It certainly won't have all the features, but when I compute value I don't really take into consideration the effort I will have to put into troubleshooting the use of third-party hardware. I really enjoy it even though at the time I feel like I want to pull my hair out :p

Thanks for sharing those videos.

tferrari said:
lucid111 said:

Clearly there is something wrong with his setup. Perhaps he got a lemon or doesn't have the knowledge on how to set it up? I didn't watch the whole video or read all the comments. There are people with this same setup who do not have these issues though...

lucid111 said:

Definitely a distance limit with this setup. I wonder why someone wouldn't fly it backwards for 200m on their return flight rather than turning it around and risking this issue?? Definitely a limitation to the equipment, but also definitely user error and lack of judgment.

lucid111 said:

Look at the joke of an antenna he is using for his video transmitter! This already shows he doesn't have the correct knowledge for a quality FPV setup.

Secondly, this is cherry picking man! Clearly there is a bigger issue at hand since his red lights looked to be flashing as he's crashing. People also mentioned he used TAPE on one of his props?? What the hell is that?

---

Ultimately, one has to weigh the cost of the Lightbridge against what it will give in return. This is how value is computed. For me, I think I would absolutely love to use a Lightbridge because I like things that work. I wouldn't have a problem spending the money either. I just REALLY believe that I can get a very good reliable setup for less than half of the cost. It certainly won't have all the features, but when I compute value I don't really take into consideration the effort I will have to put into troubleshooting the use of third-party hardware. I really enjoy it even though at the time I feel like I want to pull my hair out :p

Thanks for sharing those videos.

In short:

If you want a all-in-one excellent solution and you spare no expense, purchase Lightbridge. http://www.atlantahobby.com/assets/webb ... bridge.jpg
If you want to piece a (mediocre at best) solution together and you have a tight budget, purchase from multiple vendors: http://www.extremeinstability.com/images/phantom2.jpg

With that being said, go out there and get yourself the BEST FPV solution available!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl