Critical battery auto-landing in bad spot... what is my best play?

Drone reports position back to DJI Go App when it's auto landing, and I now have that position.
The place it landed was full of bushes about 3-4 feet high. So not a clear landing spot, but not anything horrendous like trees or water.
So should this be the landing spot? Is there any chance it tried to land, hit the bushes, and tried to get elsewhere?
And how accurate is the GPS it sent back to the DJI GO App before landing? I would think it's very accurate, right?
If it was autolanding, that location should be within a few metres of where it landed.
The Phantom won't go searching for a better spot.
If you want to confirm the GPS location to search, Phantomhelp.com's log viewer seems to be offline but if you upload the flight log to Airdata.com and tick the box to share CSV data, we can confirm the location for you.

Mate you are typing faster than I can reply....the GPS location at best would be approximate for its last location if it was shielded by bushes. It should be close enough to the last known location and would have stopped wherever it landed. Not likely to have taken off to move somewhere else. Once it goes into auto land and you haven't tried to fly it elsewhere, the game is over.
As i understand it, if autolanding u can cancel it with full upstick?

You cannot cancel it, only guide it slightly to try and find a better spot to land. I did it just the once and brought it closer and to a better landing spot. Won't be doing that again!
Wow Allgood sounds a bit scary

Oh yeah, had to bring it through the trees to miss the lake and land on a tiny flat spot of ground at the front of my block. Closest I've come to dumping in my jeans.....
Wow not good,at least it landed:) hanging out to fly had bad weather all week :eek:sun is out today but 60plus wind and a nice 9%,,,cold southly wind,,bbbbrrrrrrrrr

Wow not good,at least it landed:) hanging out to fly had bad weather all week :eek:sun is out today but 60plus wind and a nice 9%,,,cold southly wind,,bbbbrrrrrrrrr
I'm hearing you, had a couple of rainy days and you get frustrated. Thought about putting an umbrella on the drone and give that a run... Sun is out today but freezing cold, not as cold as where you are though.

I stupidly pushed the limit of my drone and its battery, because it wasn't too far from me.

It got to 10%, reported "critical battery", and auto-landed in the bushes on a hill. I did not see it go down, but I do have 13 seconds of video of the auto-landing starting (saved on the DJI Go App).

It also is reporting the last position on the DJI Go App, which hopefully is accurate.

I couldn't go look for it today because this happened just after sunset. By the time I got over to the location, it was pitch dark and I gave up until tomorrow.

There is just about zero chance that someone else will find it. It appears to be in a location in the hills in a residential area where people rarely venture. If the location is accurate, I can probably hack through the bushes tomorrow morning and see if I can find it.

Here are my questions:

1) What does the DJI Phantom 4 do when it critical-battery-auto-lands and then finds itself in bushes. Does it attempt to fly off somewhere else? When does it give up and shut itself off?

2) Is there any way to get the DJI Go app to give me the exact GPS coordinates, rather than just the picture on a map? I was able to see it on a hybrid map, which I can use to walk there tomorrow. But GPS coordinates would be best.

3) Given that the DJI Go App has video of it starting to auto-land, is there a pretty high chance that the "red arrow" on the display is its actual position?

Any other suggestions?

Please let me know. I am very depressed over this.
:)
I stupidly pushed the limit of my drone and its battery, because it wasn't too far from me.

It got to 10%, reported "critical battery", and auto-landed in the bushes on a hill. I did not see it go down, but I do have 13 seconds of video of the auto-landing starting (saved on the DJI Go App).

It also is reporting the last position on the DJI Go App, which hopefully is accurate.

I couldn't go look for it today because this happened just after sunset. By the time I got over to the location, it was pitch dark and I gave up until tomorrow.

There is just about zero chance that someone else will find it. It appears to be in a location in the hills in a residential area where people rarely venture. If the location is accurate, I can probably hack through the bushes tomorrow morning and see if I can find it.

Here are my questions:

1) What does the DJI Phantom 4 do when it critical-battery-auto-lands and then finds itself in bushes. Does it attempt to fly off somewhere else? When does it give up and shut itself off?

2) Is there any way to get the DJI Go app to give me the exact GPS coordinates, rather than just the picture on a map? I was able to see it on a hybrid map, which I can use to walk there tomorrow. But GPS coordinates would be best.

3) Given that the DJI Go App has video of it starting to auto-land, is there a pretty high chance that the "red arrow" on the display is its actual position?

Any other suggestions?

Please let me know. I am very depressed over this.
:)any updates yet have you found gold:)

Reactions: tevek
My p4 tried to land at the critical battery warning and I was able to fly it another 700+ feet back to home and land safely and I was way past the "not enough battery to RTH". Landed at 7%.
02b1eebbcda3d75c1dc113826558a0e2.jpg

Fortunately I am in Los Angeles where it won't rain again for 5-6 months (not kidding).

So plenty of time there.

Just have to find it, I think.

Did you find it?

If you get it back ok, practice in a field after 10% battery, when it goes into auto land mode. You'll find that using full up left stick will help maintain present altitude, allowing you to quickly navigate back toward home, or if you're to far away, navigate to a better landing spot.

Last edited:
I've done this many times with my p3p. When it tries to auto land at 10% i hit the rth button to stop the landing at the same time full throttle back. I've done it about 10 times and so far it works. Able to use the rest of the 10% to get back home.

I've done this many times with my p3p. When it tries to auto land at 10% i hit the rth button to stop the landing at the same time full throttle back. I've done it about 10 times and so far it works. Able to use the rest of the 10% to get back home.
Risky :)

Reactions: Duchunter
Well, this was a freakin' ordeal.

I tried to retrieve it the next day (Sunday, 4/29/17) at about 10:30am.

The foliage was a lot thicker than it appeared in the satellite image of the area. Los Angeles had a lot of rain this winter, so that probably caused it all to get much thicker. It went down in a hilly area very dense with 4-8 foot shrubs, bushes, and trees.

It was very hot, and I didn't bring enough water with me. I was at least smart enough to dress properly for it. I wore old jeans, snow shoes with a rubber sole, a cap, and a jacket. This worked great, as the shoes were strong enough to kick down some of the branches and brush in my way. The jacket and jeans protected me from the sharp foliage. That was the good news. The bad news was that it was freaking HOT wearing all that stuff, and my water ran out super quickly. There was also a rattlesnake danger, as many live in the area and are active at this time of year.

But the biggest problem was that my cell phone was not giving a reliable GPS reading for my position. It kept giving me a range of where I was (the blue dot with the light blue circle around it), and I needed EXACT coordinates to get there. It was also VERY thick with foliage -- and it was hard to even get through, plus it was on a hill.

I knew I was very close, but I was boiling hot, tired, getting steeper. and I was out of water. Being 45 years old and tall didn't help matters. Had to abort.

I was so worn out by this venture that the thought of returning was just dreadful to me.

I decided to just place a Craigslist ad. I didn't give the coordinates, and explained the situation well. I offered to meet with people and have them search for it (to ensure they wouldn't just go find it on their own and not tell me -- or hold it hostage for more money!) I said I would give $100 if they found it in bad condition (to give incentive to be careful bringing it back) and $200 if they found it in good condition.

I got a number of responses, almost all of which were from 20-21 year olds.

I ended up hiring a nice 21-year-old college student. I wasn't very confident he would be successful, as he seemed to underestimate the job and the toughness of the venture into the foliage, even though I repeatedly said so in the ad and in my responses to him (this was a chronic problem with just about everyone who responded).

After a few failed attempts where he ran into foliage too thick to pass and came back up, he finally got to the coordinates and called me -- to tell me that he couldn't see it.

Damnit.

But then about 15 minutes later, I heard him calling out to me from further down the trail, where I was waiting for him. I walked down the trail, and there was my drone, sitting in good condition.

He must have forgotten the ad (or not read it correctly), because he asked "How much do you think I should get here?", seemingly nervous I would give him very little money. He looked super worn out and kept repeating how hard it was -- and seemed very sincere. When I told him I would give him $200, he acted very surprised and seemed thrilled. Kept telling me how much this money would help him out. As we walked back to our cars, he kept saying over and over how awful the trek was, and how he was so scratched up and worn out by the time he found it, he wasn't even that excited to see it. But he was very happy to have the $200 and I was very happy to have my drone back.

Everything on the drone looked good. Two of the propellers had some scratches on them, so I'll probably swap those out with my spares.

I recharged the battery a bit, and took it on a very short test flight (without even swapping the propellers). Worked perfectly.

Ordeal over. Cost me $200, but at least it went to a seemingly nice kid who appeared to really need the money.

Here is the crash. Video is 4K quality so blow it up full screen for more detail. (It was at 8pm though, so lighting wasn't very good.)

Last edited:

It was very hot, and I didn't bring enough water with me. I was at least smart enough to dress properly for it. I wore old jeans, snow shoes with a rubber sole, a cap, and a jacket. This worked great, as the shoes were strong enough to kick down some of the branches and brush in my way. The jacket and jeans protected me from the sharp foliage. That was the good news. The bad news was that it was freaking HOT wearing all that stuff, and my water ran out super quickly. There was also a rattlesnake danger, as many live in the area and are active at this time of year.

But the biggest problem was that my cell phone was not giving a reliable GPS reading for my position. It kept giving me a range of where I was (the blue dot with the light blue circle around it), and I needed EXACT coordinates to get there. It was also VERY thick with foliage -- and it was hard to even get through, plus it was on a hill.

I knew I was very close, but I was boiling hot, tired, getting steeper. and I was out of water. Being 45 years old and tall didn't help matters. Had to abort.

I was so worn out by this venture that the thought of returning was just dreadful to me.

I decided to just place a Craigslist ad. I didn't give the coordinates, and explained the situation well. I offered to meet with people and have them search for it (to ensure they wouldn't just go find it on their own and not tell me -- or hold it hostage for more money!) I said I would give $100 if they found it in bad condition (to give incentive to be careful bringing it back) and $200 if they found it in good condition.

I ended up hiring a nice 21-year-old college student. I wasn't very confident he would be successful, as he seemed to underestimate the job and the toughness of the venture into the foliage, even though I repeatedly said so in the ad and in my responses to him (this was a chronic problem with just about everyone who responded).

After a few failed attempts where he ran into foliage too thick to pass and came back up, he finally got to the coordinates and called me -- to tell me that he couldn't see it.

Damnit.

But then about 15 minutes later, I heard him calling out to me from further down the trail, where I was waiting for him. I walked down the trail, and there was my drone, sitting in good condition.

He must have forgotten the ad (or not read it correctly), because he asked "How much do you think I should get here?", seemingly nervous I would give him very little money. He looked super worn out and kept repeating how hard it was -- and seemed very sincere. When I told him I would give him $200, he acted very surprised and seemed thrilled. Kept telling me how much this money would help him out. As we walked back to our cars, he kept saying over and over how awful the trek was, and how he was so scratched up and worn out by the time he found it, he wasn't even that excited to see it. But he was very happy to have the $200 and I was very happy to have my drone back.

Everything on the drone looked good. Two of the propellers had some scratches on them, so I'll probably swap those out with my spares.

I recharged the battery a bit, and took it on a very short test flight (without even swapping the propellers). Worked perfectly.

Ordeal over. Cost me $200, but at least it went to a seemingly nice kid who appeared to really need the money.

Here is the crash:

Good read Awsome you find after that :):):):)

Oh and this is odd... it recorded for 16 MINUTES after the crash. So I have 16 minutes of footage of it just sitting on the ground, flashing, while the surroundings get darker. Basically it kept recording til the SD card got full, then finally shut off.

Oh and this is odd... it recorded for 16 MINUTES after the crash. So I have 16 minutes of footage of it just sitting on the ground, flashing, while the surroundings get darker. Basically it kept recording til the SD card got full, then finally shut off.
Had similar I had rth because flat batterie but landed on 30% when critical warning set at 10%..never found out why,,but something I do watch now:)

The foliage was a lot thicker than it appeared in the satellite image of the area. Los Angeles had a lot of rain this winter, so that probably caused it all to get much thicker. It went down in a hilly area very dense with 4-8 foot shrubs, bushes, and trees.

Damnit.

Here is the crash. Video is 4K quality so blow it up full screen for more detail. (It was at 8pm though, so lighting wasn't very good.)

Well the only thing you didn't do was slay a dragon and rescue a child from a burning wreck. A good result for a fairly low outlay of cash. You get to live another day and you'll benefit from the experience. Not sure why it kept filming but your signal may have been enough to keep going even though your device would have fallen over. Certainly have had moments when the device stops filming due to the device capabilities but the SD card footage is flawless. Well done.

Glad you got it back!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures