Crested Butte Exceeding Their Authority?

Reaction score
This and other snow resorts are moving toward significant restrictions on sUAV's. Below is an example in Colorado. I have made in bold the portion of concern. I do not believe they have the authority to control airspace in the US.

Drone Policy | Crested Butte

"Out of safety concerns for guests, employees, and resort property, Crested Butte Mountain Resort prohibits the operation of unmanned aerial systems, or aerial drones, by the general public, including recreational users and hobbyists, without prior written authorization from the Resort. This prohibition includes drones for filming or videotaping, as well as any drone use by media or journalists operating above Crested Butte Mountain Resort property, including any drone launched off-site and subsequently flown above Resort property. Please contact Erica Mueller at 970-349-2205 if you have any questions or if you seek prior-approval to operate any aerial drones. Any authorized operation of aerial drones will be governed by Federal Aviation Administration rules and regulations, as well as policies established by Crested Butte Mountain Resort, which may include certification, training, insurance coverage, and indemnification requirements. Any violation of this policy may involve suspension of your skiing privileges, or the revocation of your season pass."

Out of safety concerns for guests, employees, and resort property, Crested Butte Mountain Resort prohibits the operation of unmanned aerial systems, or aerial drones, by the general public, including recreational users and hobbyists, without prior written authorization from the Resort.
They have a great point. And, flying over people is greatly frowned upon by the FAA and seems to be what they are usually suing people over. The resort probably cannot do anything if you're flying over their resort at 200 feet or so in the air. But, the FAA might step in if they report you and you were doing something dangerous (like flying over people).

Any violation of this policy may involve suspension of your skiing privileges, or the revocation of your season pass.
It's their resort, so they get to make the rules. If people don't want to lose their privileges, then they'll need to follow the rules. Makes sense to me.

You'd have a very tough time flying over their resort w/o launching from their property. Even though they can't "legally" control the airspace they can restrict access to their property and cause you problems should you ever wish to return for other things (like skiing) in the future.

I wonder if folks can take pictures with a still or video camera from the ski lifts? - after all those skiers and folks below may not want their privacy violated - what is the difference except that a drone improperly flown could fall out of the sky and fall on someone (happens every day :>) ) - yeah, it is their resort, they can make their own rules and any pilot should respect the rules no matter how illogical they may be. Odd the FAA seems not to care about RC planes flying over people or do they? The resort can give an exemption according to what the restrictions say but will they - by the way in Sunday's Star Telegram (a Fort Worth Texas paper) the front page has a picture of a large public construction project and the subtitle notes its 'a photograph taken by a drone" (I wonder if other aerial photograph mediums are concerned?)

I wonder if folks can take pictures with a still or video camera from the ski lifts? - after all those skiers and folks below may not want their privacy violated - what is the difference except that a drone improperly flown could fall out of the sky and fall on someone (happens every day :>) ) - yeah, it is their resort, they can make their own rules and any pilot should respect the rules no matter how illogical they may be. Odd the FAA seems not to care about RC planes flying over people or do they? The resort can give an exemption according to what the restrictions say but will they - by the way in Sunday's Star Telegram (a Fort Worth Texas paper) the front page has a picture of a large public construction project and the subtitle notes its 'a photograph taken by a drone" (I wonder if other aerial photograph mediums are concerned?)

Like all hate toward the quadcopters, it's simply ignorance which is fueling the fear. Easier to placate the mindless majority than educate them.

They have a great point. And, flying over people is greatly frowned upon by the FAA and seems to be what they are usually suing people over. The resort probably cannot do anything if you're flying over their resort at 200 feet or so in the air. But, the FAA might step in if they report you and you were doing something dangerous (like flying over people).

It's their resort, so they get to make the rules. If people don't want to lose their privileges, then they'll need to follow the rules. Makes sense to me.
So they can feel free to make rules for the property they own. They do not own any airspace above their property nor can they regulate that airspace. They can have the police investigate drones flying over their property and the police can feel free to forward the complaint to the FAA.

Taking pictures/video from a ski lift might be a privacy concern for someone wearing a hat, scarf, and goggles, but the reason this resort gives is one of safety, not privacy.

From what I've read and the only negative spectators I've met while flying my Phantoms, I rank Colorado to be one of the less friendly states as far as drones go.

Here's a sign I saw in a park outside of Boulder.

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 2.27.54 PM.png

Odd the FAA seems not to care about RC planes flying over people or do they?

Yes they do care but because of the AMA's track record for safety Congress relegated "Hobby RC" rules back to community based rules and guidelines. One of the rules from AMA is "Do not fly directly over people". Flying over people is a safety hazard regardless what you're flying unless it's a simple helium balloon :)

...Flying over people is a safety hazard regardless what you're flying unless it's a simple helium balloon :)
Yes, flying anything over people is a safety hazard, even a "simple helium balloon". A daily launched NOAA weather balloon could fall on someones head. LOL

When you all talk about limited spaces etc I forget I am out in the country on seven acres - no airports - so I can just walk out my back door and buzz the buzzards

When you all talk about limited spaces etc I forget I am out in the country on seven acres - no airports - so I can just walk out my back door and buzz the buzzards
Yes, rural and desolate area flyers have fewer people and aircraft conflict concerns than in the city. I much enjoy flying in remote peopleless BLM and forest service areas of Oregon.

Hello I know this is an old thread but id just like to mention that they do have the write to say no to drones because they own that mountain and I live near it and each year 50+ people are flown off it by helicopter due to accidents and drones would mess it all up. PS I own a custom hex copter and understand where your coming from.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164