Keep out of our airspace says ski area

Reaction score
The Stevens pass ski area says stay out... I had no idea they could stop you from flying in the airspace over the resort... Wow just wow...

I know they can keep you from taking off and landing from their property but to say no to there airspace???

"Due to safety and privacy concerns, Stevens Pass Mountain Resort prohibits the operation or use on or above Resort property of unmanned aerial systems, or drones, by the general public—including model aircraft by recreational users and hobbyists"

Stevens Pass Washington Ski Resort - Drone Policy

They own the property, so I suppose they would "own" the airspace as well. Which I think is a very grey area. Satellite companies beam down signals all day long onto your property through "your" air space, but try to stop that. This will probably end up in a court somewhere to decide. Oh well. Another day another dilemma.

They own the property, so I suppose they would "own" the airspace as well. Which I think is a very grey area. Satellite companies beam down signals all day long onto your property through "your" air space, but try to stop that. This will probably end up in a court somewhere to decide. Oh well. Another day another dilemma.
Heck I have commercial airlines over head all the time... in my airspace... Be hard pressed for me to stop them

Oh and I believe they lease the property from the USFS... at least that was the way it was when I worked at other ski areas...

They can restrict you from lifting off but if you are off the property and fly over it, I would like to know what law was broken.

Heck I have commercial airlines over head all the time... in my airspace... Be hard pressed for me to stop them
Exactly. Cant see how they can do anything. But like I said, this will probably be decided in a court. This could open a whole new can of worms as well.

Exactly. Cant see how they can do anything. But like I said, this will probably be decided in a court. This could open a whole new can of worms as well.
It would only end of in court if there is a law against it... and afaik the FAA says they have control over airspace and I do not see any flight restrictions over that area.

They have no authority over the AIR what so ever and the FAA has said this many times. With that being said they "should" be able to have some say so because it is in the safety of their customers to not have every Tom, ****, and Harry flying his/her drone one the ski slope. Two recent and verifiable incidents below demonstrate why I say this:

Recently at Appalachian Ski Area (Boone NC) someone was struck and received a very minor cut by a UAS but somehow I've yet to see it reported anywhere.

Also two weeks in a training session in New England area some representatives from our local ski area were up getting some "mechanical training". They had some downtime and decided to catch some snowboard lessons. The company putting on the training had one of their "guys" filming the training on the ski slope and the UAS was hovering directly over (about 3' over head height) the passing snowboarders. He had a lapse of concentration, dumb thumbs or something and ended up striking one of the snow boarders in the helmet. Luckily the helmet sustained zero damage (not a big surprise there) and the only injury was to an off brand UAS and the operator's pride. Again this went completely unreported somehow (I'm not complaining).

I'm not saying there aren't competent and capable UAS pilots out there but there needs to be some local vetting and control over who/where we can fly when we are flying anywhere near people. It's not the Wild Wild West to say the least.

Our local ski area prohibits any UAS flights unless they are by a commercial company and meet their requirements (333, PPL, $500k liability, etc). Even then you have to go through an interview and approval process.

They allude to trespass... I think I may have to do a flyover... :smirk:
LOL....sorta like cruising past the island in the China Sea that pissed off the Chinese.....I love it.

They allude to trespass... I think I may have to do a flyover... :smirk:

Keep in mind that most ski areas own/manage a lot more real estate than just what you see. Odds are they control enough land where you couldn't park, fly, land and it not be on "their land".

They have no authority over the AIR what so ever and the FAA has said this many times. With that being said they "should" be able to have some say so because it is in the safety of their customers to not have every Tom, ****, and Harry flying his/her drone one the ski slope. Two recent and verifiable incidents below demonstrate why I say this:

Recently at Appalachian Ski Area (Boone NC) someone was struck and received a very minor cut by a UAS but somehow I've yet to see it reported anywhere.

Also two weeks in a training session in New England area some representatives from our local ski area were up getting some "mechanical training". They had some downtime and decided to catch some snowboard lessons. The company putting on the training had one of their "guys" filming the training on the ski slope and the UAS was hovering directly over (about 3' over head height) the passing snowboarders. He had a lapse of concentration, dumb thumbs or something and ended up striking one of the snow boarders in the helmet. Luckily the helmet sustained zero damage (not a big surprise there) and the only injury was to an off brand UAS and the operator's pride. Again this went completely unreported somehow (I'm not complaining).

I'm not saying there aren't competent and capable UAS pilots out there but there needs to be some local vetting and control over who/where we can fly when we are flying anywhere near people. It's not the Wild Wild West to say the least.

Our local ski area prohibits any UAS flights unless they are by a commercial company and meet their requirements (333, PPL, $500k liability, etc). Even then you have to go through an interview and approval process.

I see your point. But its just that you just hate being told you can't do something....its human nature to take that as a challenge. Kinda like "Oh Yeah?...watch this..." type of thing. And you know its gonna happen. Thats why I say it will be in the courts. AND they will make another stupid law because of this. But let me ask this...How high does "their" airspace go? And if the FAA has control over the airspace, how can they tell you that you can't fly over it? LOL. Glad I live in farm country. The corn and the cows dont give a rats a$$.....;)

I see your point. But its just that you just hate being told you can't do something....its human nature to take that as a challenge. Kinda like "Oh Yeah?...watch this..." type of thing. And you know its gonna happen. Thats why I say it will be in the courts. AND they will make another stupid law because of this. But let me ask this...How high does "their" airspace go? And if the FAA has control over the airspace, how can they tell you that you can't fly over it? LOL. Glad I live in farm country. The corn and the cows dont give a rats a$$.....;)

Honestly right now (key word right now and this depends on if you signed that FAA agreement and became registered) I don't think "they" can legally keep you from flying over so long as you take off and land NOT on their property. Say if you got permission from a land owner adjacent to the ski area you could fly overhead but keep in mind... the first complaint (legit or not) will have you and your flight placed under a microscope and most likely the "Reckless" flying will come into play.

Honestly right now (key word right now and this depends on if you signed that FAA agreement and became registered) I don't think "they" can legally keep you from flying over so long as you take off and land NOT on their property. Say if you got permission from a land owner adjacent to the ski area you could fly overhead but keep in mind... the first complaint (legit or not) will have you and your flight placed under a microscope and most likely the "Reckless" flying will come into play.

Agreed.

Sorry Goose, time to buzz the tower.

LMFAO!

Yes Ma'am, we were inverted.... "yeah we were inverted"

Airspace is controlled by the owner of land up to 500'. There is a public easement above that to allow for aircraft.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

While there "have been" cases where the land owner went to court and won very specific cases this is not how it is. FAA controls airspace from the ground to infinity (and Beyond........ Buzz Lightyear) and it's been documented in great detail especially as of late.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers