Crashed my DJI Pro 3

Reaction score
I did something stupid. Do not do what I did.
I was flying my drone at the same time I was babysitting my 2 new puppies. Suddenly it started to rain hard. I had a bright idea to just have my drone return to home while I put my puppies inside. I guess the rain messed with the GPS a little bit. Instead of landing where it was suppose to, it was about 15-20 feet off and hit the roof of my house thus crashing and messing up my gimbal.
I sent it off to get fixed.

Rain not affect GPS but not calibrating before each flight will. Are your puppies worth more than peoples lives if your drone crashed in the rain?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hate to hear you crashed wizard but Les ya kinda harsh there and wrong . You do not need to calibrarte your compass every flight .
Read this that Ianwood wrote and maybe you will understand it more .http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/compass-calibration-a-complete-primer.32829
I rarely do mine .
Finally! I was trying to find the bottom line info on calibration and you pointed me to it dirkclod. Thanks much. It all makes sense now. This post by Ianwood should be a sticky. Or is it somewhere? Thanks again. All I need to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Rain not affect GPS but not calibrating before each flight will. Are your puppies worth more than peoples lives if your drone crashed in the rain?

Incorrect.

I have covered over 1,600km of flight distance in 375 flights and have calibrated my compass about 5 or 6 times

The most important question is are the puppys ok? :D

The acuracy of the GPS and thus the RTH is effected by so many out side influences , especially when flying close to buildings etc... that the best you can assume is it will come down somewhere close to where you expect. The later generations are getting better and better but you still have to allow a few meters either way even in good conditions.

What you did is a bit like closing your eyes while driving your car when you're 100 meters down the street from home and hoping you can park perfectly on the street verge out your front door.
Its only going to work out some times if your lucky :)

I did calibrate before my flight. I always do. Why else would my drone fly back so close to my take off point.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I did calibrate before my flight. I always do. Why else would my drone fly back so close to my take off point.

Calibrating your compass is completely different to setting your home point. The latter should be done every flight, but, as said previously calibrating your compass is only done if you fly from a completely different area or the app requests it (with a P4)

Important thing is the puppies didn't get hurt, neither did anyone else. Don't feel bad mate. Mistakes happen. You got your drone back and it wasn't a write off [emoji4]

Neon Euc

Thanks Neon. My main point is that no one else do what I did. I've never had my drone come home more then 2 feet off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl