Crash from 80 feet, total destruction

Any chance I get in future these are getting posted, so maybe giving your $1000+ drone to a family member might not be such a good idea because they haven't done any of the above

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
I don't like the CSC either.
It makes it easy to crash on landing the first time you try it (flip)
Its possible to do in flight (bye bye)
Its slow to perform in emergencies

I much prefer the "conventional" throttle sticks (pull it down = no power, push it up = power... simple, quick, can't get it wrong since it doesn't dis-arm the quad..)

Heck I don't even know if it counts as CSC when you push the throttle stick all the way down in flight (manual is not clear on that, it just say throttle stick down or both stick in down corners = CSC, and CSC can be done in flight).

...In fact, I think DJI's choice of CSC shutdown is actually brilliant; it is the exact same position that is used to start the motors.....
ONE option for CSC would be brilliant. FOUR is just a little too many, and one of them is too close to a reasonably foreseeable manoeuvre.

Reactions: dalebb
Obviously there are a lot of people that think reading the manual solves the issue. It doesn't. It might help, but the UI design is bad and the problem remains a risk. The issue is the pilot unconsciously thinks of the flight control stick manipulation in terms of altitude, rotation, pitch, yaw. They are not thinking engine shut off as shut off is incongruous to the basic function of the flight control sticks. Shut off won't be remembered at critical moments and I think anyone who can honestly assess how they pilot would agree. Regardless I wouldn't let anyone fly my drone, having read the manual or not. It's too big a risk.

For fun google "DJI CSC fell" and see the carnage out there.

Reactions: Oso and dalebb
For fun google "DJI CSC fell" and see the carnage out there.
Well I did ... and I read what the first page of hits actually said.
Almost all were tales of quadcopters that fell from the sky but very few were attributed to accidental CSC.
However in the threads retrieved by Google, there was often someone saying things like:
you could only shut them down in mid air if you execute an CSC
the manual says not to perform CSC (bringing both sticks down and towards the middle) mid flight because this will shut the rotors off in mid flight.
Is that really true
I flew up pretty high to see how high it could go."Pretty **** high" was the answer.Anyways, at about 60% battery, I started descending at max speed (2 m/s) and quickly realized that this was just not going to work out.After the battery got to 0%, about 20s later it fell out of the sky(150m)

Yes, they have the words DJI, CSC & fell but - surprise surprise very few are actual accounts of people accidentally performing a CSC in flight.
There's a good reason for that.
Accidental CSC is an extremely rare event.
It is much talked about, mostly by newbies scared out of their wits at the potential for disaster, but it just isn't happening enough to justify the alarmist nonsense you are going on about.

If you want to address something that really kills Phantoms, start campaigning against flying in backyards or near trees.
That's something that takes Phantoms out of the sky every day.
Or you could educate new flyers on RTH procedures and how important it is to try RTH before they need it.

You've stated your thoughts (several times over).
You've discounted the opinions of those with experience.
You've had a good go at it.
How about giving it a rest now and getting out there and getting some stick time and enjoying your flying.

How about giving it a rest now and getting out there and getting some stick time and enjoying your flying.

Like picking at a scab or scratching a rash I have a bad habit of repeatedly trying to speak sense to those that won't hear it. If I knew "asinine" in Chinese I'd be telling it to DJI, heh.

Reactions: blade strike
This is from here:

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Combination_Stick_Command

Wkm-rc_set1.png

I hyper jumped from Page 3 to page 15. Have I missed anything? ;-)

RedHotPoker

I hyper jumped from Page 3 to page 15. Have I missed anything? ;-)

RedHotPoker
Nope; The blind are still blind,, DJI still include CSC in all their models (but halved the number of them), the design experts are still up in arms about it, and we're all still going around and around and around and around in this same conversation.
Oh, and we've started learning Chinese!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oso and Incognito
Nope; The blind are still blind,, DJI still include CSC in all their models (but halved the number of them), the design experts are still up in arms about it, and we're all still going around and around and around and around in this same conversation.
Oh, and we've started learning Chinese!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best post i have read on here lol

Reactions: Ezookiel
The weirdest thing just happened...

I was typing a response when I saw some typos and was about to click Send.
I panicked...

... I accidently hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete!

Reactions: Marlin009
Yesterday afternoon, I was flying around my yard, excited to hit my 12th hour of flight. At 40 percent battery I decided I would bring it down. At 80 feet I stopped and started doing some maneuvers and practicing various inputs etc. The app disconnected and then came back several times. "Last maneuver!" I thought, as I thrust upwards 10 feet and then downwards while rotating and rolling about. Suddenly, my heart sank as I watched the motors fall still. The P3A fell like a rock through the treetops and then slammed full-force into the bricks that encircle my tree's flower bed, scattering Phantom parts in a certifiable yard sale of my nighmares. I knew from the impact that I was out of business. The camera detached from the gimbal, which shattered the lens entirely, and severed the ribbon cable. The compass detached from the bent landing gear, but did not damage the cable and snapped back into place. Both of the legs of the Phantom bent and have small fractures. The shell popped out of place in several places at the seams. I have been in a state of depression for about 24 hours, as I will be out of the game for a long time, but I seek to make light of it. Possibly sell the controller and whatever else I can to help buy a new P3. DJI and B&H photo have thus far been unresponsive. I am not sure what happened. I had full GPS lock, strong RC signal, the props were and are intact and installed, the battery was still locked firmly in place. It has crossed my mind that perhaps I mistakenly performed CSC. This doesn't seem possible to me from the maneuvers I performed, and I certainly didn't hold CSC for 3 seconds. Am I even conceivably under warranty? What went wrong?

Sorry but having a flight-stick combination that self-destructs your craft IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. I would be demanding a replacement if it were me as this is a flat out design flaw. Yes it is "nearly impossible" to happen but clearly it does happen as we have several examples in this forum. I nearly did it myself doing a corkscrew decent to avoid VRS (a move I commonly do on my smaller drone that descends fast). Luckily I caught myself but the point remains THERE CANNOT BE AN OTHERWISE HARMLESS FLIGHT-STICK POSITION THAT INSTANTLY DESTROYS YOUR CRAFT. This is like having a rare combination of steering wheel and brake position that instantly blows up your car!

I can't believe some people in here are defending such an asinine design! There is no argument for this.

For those that say "it's impossible to hit those stick positions in normal flight":
This thread (and others) prove that you are mistaken.

For those that say "read the manual":
It's largely irrelevant that the manual documents the bad design. A bad design is a bad design. Being aware of the bad design and actually always being able to avoid making a mistake due to the bad design are two different things. THE DESIGN IS BAD--thus mistakes are likely to be made (as this thread proves). There should be no way to destroy your craft by putting your flight sticks in a slightly odd position for a moment that would otherwise be completely harmless.

For those that say "there must be a quick shut off":
Yes, there should be. But it shouldn't be a position on the farking flight control sticks!

I've never used any of the CSC commands and I WANT A WAY TO TURN THEM OFF--THEY ARE A BAD DESIGN. Every time I fly, in the back of my mind I'm thinking about avoiding accidentally shutting off my drone and it does not make for a comfortable flight experience.
Amen.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart