Crash and Question

Reaction score
I had a crash from 100 ft and thought I just had light damage but upon further inspection the P2V+ camera is now out of focus. Odd, the gimbal still works perfectly but the camera is unusable like this. Anyone had any experience with this type damage? I read that the lenses can be knocked out of alignment. Everything works perfectly except for the focus issue. I have a Hero4 black and an F650 with A2 controller I can use for photography so now I am wondering what other options I might have with the P2V+. Its just seems like too much money to spend on a new gimbal since I still have a good working camera on the F650. BTW, the crash was all me - who would have thought a tree could move like that?

Any suggestions on repair or re-purposing the P2V+?

That's the 1st one I have heard of. But you will need to take the camera apart to adjust the focus. There is no other option either.

There were some nicks on the camera itself indicating it took a hit from something. I guess I can look inside although I can't imagine being able to fix it myself. At least I will see what it looks like inside. I am good at taking things apart...

amorrison said:
There were some nicks on the camera itself indicating it took a hit from something. I guess I can look inside although I can't imagine being able to fix it myself. At least I will see what it looks like inside. I am good at taking things apart...

As most of us, the problem is usually putting these back together ;)
If you do disassemble can you please document with pictures? might be helpful in the future.

amorrison said:
I had a crash from 100 ft and thought I just had light damage but upon further inspection the P2V+ camera is now out of focus. Odd, the gimbal still works perfectly but the camera is unusable like this. Anyone had any experience with this type damage? I read that the lenses can be knocked out of alignment. Everything works perfectly except for the focus issue. I have a Hero4 black and an F650 with A2 controller I can use for photography so now I am wondering what other options I might have with the P2V+. Its just seems like too much money to spend on a new gimbal since I still have a good working camera on the F650. BTW, the crash was all me - who would have thought a tree could move like that?

Any suggestions on repair or re-purposing the P2V+?

I bet in the near future DJI will release a new and improved camera for the PV2+

Chuggie said:
I bet in the near future DJI will release a new and improved camera for the PV2+

They really need to improve these devices. Both are really sensible, mainly the Gimbal. Mine felt from 10ft to concrete and one of the Gimbal's arms became twisted, separated from the other one, broke the flex cable and killed the board. Decided to buy and install a new one.

We know these are devices that are not designed to be used in such heights, but they could at least add some contention to the Gimbal arms like they did in Phantom Fix. This simple $20 tool will totally prevent your Gimbal arms to split up and eventually break the flex cable. Totally worth buying. http://www.djiphantomfix.com

There is a possibility to install a Zenmuse H3-3D and use your GoPro if the Vision camera can't be repaired. This option would cost less than a replacement Vision+ camera and I believe the GoPro quality is a great improvement over the Vision+ (especially in low light conditions)

TuT said:
There is a possibility to install a Zenmuse H3-3D and use your GoPro if the Vision camera can't be repaired. This option would cost less than a replacement Vision+ camera and I believe the GoPro quality is a great improvement over the Vision+ (especially in low light conditions)

I was thinking the same thing. Since the control is 5.8 GHz I might even be able to use the Gopro's built-in wifi which would give awesome control over the camera. Even with limited range it would be useful. I am thinking in the air line of sight one might get several hundred feet. I just don't see an obvious way to remove the existing P2V+ 2.4 GHz gear yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

amorrison said:
TuT said:

I was thinking the same thing. Since the control is 5.8 GHz I might even be able to use the Gopro's built-in wifi which would give awesome control over the camera. Even with limited range it would be useful. I am thinking in the air line of sight one might get several hundred feet. I just don't see an obvious way to remove the existing P2V+ 2.4 GHz gear yet.

I'm not using the GoPro WIFI at all. I fear it will interfere with the Vision+ wifi.
The mod I've implemented connects the GoPro video out to the Vision+ WIFI system. This way I still get fpv video on my phone using the DJI app plus I get full telemetry & battery data. I have installed an extra knob on my remote which gives me camera tilt for the gimbal. The only thing missing is camera control - I just have to start video recording before I take off. I find video plus a photograph every 5 seconds is the best GoPro mode for my needs.

I didn't do this upgrade after a crash, but because I found the Vision+ camera to be too harsh. I also love to fly at night and the Hero4 cameras with 6400 ISO pick up a ton of light :D But if you already have a GoPro camera then you just need to get a gimbal and then do a bit of creative rewiring.

Chuggie said:

I would upgrade to that in a heartbeat. I have already ordered the 2312 motors and new V2 ESCs for the now blind P2V+. I had assumed since the gimbal was fine, and it was so fragile, that the camera would be too.

TuT said:
I'm not using the GoPro WIFI at all. I fear it will interfere with the Vision+ wifi.
The mod I've implemented connects the GoPro video out to the Vision+ WIFI system. This way I still get fpv video on my phone using the DJI app plus I get full telemetry & battery data. I have installed an extra knob on my remote which gives me camera tilt for the gimbal. The only thing missing is camera control - I just have to start video recording before I take off. I find video plus a photograph every 5 seconds is the best GoPro mode for my needs.

I didn't do this upgrade after a crash, but because I found the Vision+ camera to be too harsh. I also love to fly at night and the Hero4 cameras with 6400 ISO pick up a ton of light :D But if you already have a GoPro camera then you just need to get a gimbal and then do a bit of creative rewiring.

Have you done a video on the mod yet? If not you should.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl