Crash and burn. Gimbal destroyed.

Reaction score
I was flying today and capturing some footage of my sister and brother in laws new house. I got a couple stills then decided to do a video flying back and up from the driveway. I crashed into a light post across the street. Fell down 20 feet onto the sidewalk and the gimbal/camera broke off. The drone itself seems to be in OK shape...I will post photos and videos soon.

What do I do about repairs in the immediate though?

Reactions: richardtomcat
I was flying today and capturing some footage of my sister and brother in laws new house. I got a couple stills then decided to do a video flying back and up from the driveway. I crashed into a light post across the street. Fell down 20 feet onto the sidewalk and the gimbal/camera broke off. The drone itself seems to be in OK shape...I will post photos and videos soon.

Which P3 do you have? My dealership does repairs.

Now you have a reason to get a Phantom 4!

Seriously though, if the gimbal breaks then the repair to the broken gimbal is not normally something you can do yourself.

You can send it out for repairs or you could search eBay for a replacement gimbal with camera which can then be easily installed.

If costs for either option are high then it may make more sense in the long run to buy a replacement and sell your broken one for parts on eBay.

Reactions: Drone Master
Lamp post at 0:04. After shooting this clip, I changed video settings and went to do it a second time but started too low. I'm across the street standing under light pole and under flight path. They started yelling but it was too late...

I have fired it up and seems to run ok. Motors spinning smoothly. Goes through warmup and acquires GPS lock. The Go App rotates between Safe to Fly (GPS) and No Signal. One leg appears slightly bent. The compass popped out of the leg but snapped back in easily and does not appear disconnected. There are no shell cracks that I have observed.

IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2243.JPG

Last edited:
It's a bummer to have that happen doing something cool for family!:oops:.... and that's a really cute house too!:D... I would like to see the video clip that includes the crash too!:cool:

Those are always the tougher shots when flying "backwards" from camera PoV but they produce great results when there's no obstacles in the way... seen a lot of crash videos from that type of fllying unfortunately.:(

Hope you get everything repaired and get back on that horse soon!:)

Sorry about your crash, I sent you a message on repair options, but I have to say, that's one **** high light post

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If Hunch repairs your Gimble, does it invalidate your warranty ?

Flying backwards. One of the top 10 reasons to crash..... DJI needs to point the avoidance sensors in the back of the craft, not the front.

If Hunch repairs your Gimble, does it invalidate your warranty ?

probably not on the bird but gimbal? probably because i have to take it completely apart, at least in OPs case i would have to because he will need, new yaw arm, roll ring arm and cable.
but it will look as good as new ;)

i don't know if dji has warranty on the whole thing or just the bird / just the gimbal,...

Lamp post at 0:04. After shooting this clip, I changed video settings and went to do it a second time but started too low. I'm across the street standing under light pole and under flight path. They started yelling but it was too late...

I have fired it up and seems to run ok. Motors spinning smoothly. Goes through warmup and acquires GPS lock. The Go App rotates between Safe to Fly (GPS) and No Signal. One leg appears slightly bent. The compass popped out of the leg but snapped back in easily and does not appear disconnected. There are no shell cracks that I have observed.

View attachment 44627 View attachment 44628

you will need yaw arm, roll arm and new cable.
you're looking at around $140 for the parts, $60 to replace all.. so roughly $200
let me know if you need help.

you will need yaw arm, roll arm and new cable.
you're looking at around $140 for the parts, $60 to replace all.. so roughly $200
let me know if you need help.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give you a call in the next couple days.

sounds good.. leave a voicemail if i don't answer. i have a day job and uav repair is my side thing so i work mon-fri 9-5

You can repair your gimbal arm and como tape for less than 100.00, if you have questions text me or email me.
Nathan

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl