Crash and burn. Gimbal destroyed.

I was flying today and capturing some footage of my sister and brother in laws new house. I got a couple stills then decided to do a video flying back and up from the driveway. I crashed into a light post across the street. Fell down 20 feet onto the sidewalk and the gimbal/camera broke off. The drone itself seems to be in OK shape...I will post photos and videos soon.

What do I do about repairs in the immediate though?
This is a very common scenario. Get a hold of DJI on their site and pick one of the American repair centers and arrange to send it in. The west coast one is in LA. I suppose there are a lot of arguments about the cheapest way to go. But I bet this is about the same in any event. DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Hey man, I've got a brand new phantom 3 advanced camera for you that I would sell. Let me know if you want pictures!!! It's right off a new phantom 3, never used

Hey man, I've got a brand new phantom 3 advanced camera for you that I would sell. Let me know if you want pictures!!! It's right off a new phantom 3, never used
yeah i got a few too ;)

IMG_0291[1].JPG

Reactions: Suntana
When we had a crash pretty much the same thing happened to ours. We bought this on ebay and watched a youtube video of step by step to repair and its good as new. Here is a link to replacement parts. DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Repair Kit Yaw and Roll Arms Aerometal OEM CNC USA 3 Pcs

Whole thing for just under $80 plus the experience of fixing it yourself.
I just worked with FStop Labs <[email protected]> for what seems the same product. They were helpful and offer a chat install session.

I crashed and burned today as well. I am looking for my options on repair or replace. I will post me own big thread with video. But here is my gimbal broken photo now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    608 KB · Views: 264
I crashed and burned today as well. I am looking for my options on repair or replace. I will post me own big thread with video. But here is my gimbal broken photo now.
Ouch. That's different than mine. I broke the roll arm and ribbon cable. I am working though it with F/Stop labs, DJI Phantom 3 Pro, Advanced Gimbal repair replacement arms and kits. However my lens and other parts seem OK. So I am getting just the one arm. But they have more complete kits. They also accepted photos before recommending parts. Is that just the lens cover or a filter?

Ouch. That's different than mine. I broke the roll arm and ribbon cable. I am working though it with F/Stop labs, DJI Phantom 3 Pro, Advanced Gimbal repair replacement arms and kits. However my lens and other parts seem OK. So I am getting just the one arm. But they have more complete kits. They also accepted photos before recommending parts. Is that just the lens cover or a filter?
That was the filter. Lens is in scratched, which I guess is a good thing.

That was the filter. Lens is in scratched, which I guess is a good thing.
Well, you have options and it may not be as bad as it seems. Depending on how good your hands are. :) You could buy one of those suggested above or repair this one. Weight the costs and give it a shot. The risk is you could screw up the repair. But I usually go for it in these cases.

Well, you have options and it may not be as bad as it seems. Depending on how good your hands are. :) You could buy one of those suggested above or repair this one. Weight the costs and give it a shot. The risk is you could screw up the repair. But I usually go for it in these cases.
BTW: I have been very happy with a filter kit which vastly improves pictures and also protects the camera.

I don't know how the aluminum or whatever metal the gimbal is made of simply breaks up...I mean could you imagine a Coke can break in half if it fell...?

From the way I see P3 gimbal plates & yaw arms cracking I don't think they are aluminum like the Vision+ but plastic. I remember seeing one P3 picture where the yaw arm snapped with a section of the top of the camera ripped out as well. Either it's some of the crappiest aluminum ever made or plastic.

I don't know how the aluminum or whatever metal the gimbal is made of simply breaks up...I mean could you imagine a Coke can break in half if it fell...?

Well they are different sorts of aluminum. They must be light. Everything about these craft must be light. There is no coasting with a quad. So they want them light and ridged which is fragile. I also hear that part of DJI policy is to destroy the gimbal while saving the camera. You can build it like a brick. But that isn't good. I wonder about magnesium or titanium? But that involves a lot of cost. And it may be too strong if you follow me.

I am curious about the P4s. I hear they have a two arm gimbal. But some say while stronger thaey might not be so agile and produce "jellowing" in videos.

I don't know about the original parts but the replacements I am getting are machined.

Oh yes F/Stop labs also produce plastic arms. Perhaps that would be better as well as cheaper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.