Convert a Phantom to an Hexacopter

****, I love this show.

Nice one
Love THAT attitude WY!
I'm the same way. Don't tell me I can't do something. I'll get it done if for no other reason than to spite someone. LOL
BOT

Yea Baby,
Nice find there too, tracking down the OP in another forum. Cyberlife can be fun sometimes.

I'm looking forward to seeing the P2V+ Hex. :D

Well this thread got me all excited and I started looking into parts for a hex conversion to see what it would cost me. I came across this: http://www.amazon.com/Hobbypower-Mu...d=1436977193&sr=8-1&keywords=hexacopter+frame

Would it help anyone out? Apparently it's a clone, but a pretty decent price!

Recent reviews on Amazon don't look so good for that product. Seems they are sending them out with the wrong screws and buying the screws doubles the price.
You get what you pay for, and it seems in this case, you get less.
I would keep looking around.

Reactions: SilverStone641
Oh-Oh WY, this doesn't look good. Not meaning to steal your thunder Macsoft but this was the answer to your question on the Mini Multirotor forum.:eek: I ain't throwing in the towel just yet.;)

Naza-m lite to v2 upgrade project

macsoft wrote:Can this help me uploading the v2 firmware on a Phantom 2 Vision+ Naza module?
thank you.
Here's the answer:
Unfortunately, the Upgrade does not work with the Phantom 2 Naza FC. Two different FC are involved. Only will work with the Naza M Lite FC.

BOT

I saw this Circus pass thru here a while back fellas.

Forget converting to a Hex, if this were to be hacked then the proprietary battery would be history.
Like printer cartidges these likely have enormous margins.

Gotts ta give DJI credit.
They locked this up tight enough that by the time it may be hacked it's too late to have any real impact.
Besides, a Naza-M V2 only costs about $280 with GPS, PMU, CanBus, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
Has anyone confirmed the NAZA M and P2 NAZA M are the same hardware? Because if they are, it should be possible to change it even if the current hack doesn't work.

Hi guys, thanks for all the help.
the hardware is the same. All we need is a way to get the right firmware on it.
I downloaded the Naza M V2 Assistant for Mac, and I'm trying to find out a way to hack it.
Its clear DJI does not know much about coding for a Mac (you need the most up to date OS to run the app on a Mac, while you can run it on a windows computer with a 15 year old OS..) So maybe they missed a step somewhere and hacking the app is the way to go?
I used the Terminal to read IO on the Apps (Phantom Assistant and Naza M assistant) and for now right from the start,
Phantom Assistant outputs to terminal: "Product: nazam_phantom" and the Naza M assistant outputs to terminal: "Product: nazam"

Maybe just hex switching this on the file does the trick?

you need the most up to date OS to run the app on a Mac,
Not a Mac kinda guy (long story) but I wonder if I can run the Assistant software in Mavericks on a VM. That I got.
BOT

Yeah, but hell, where's the challenge in that? :p
Also, since the hack DOES work on a Naza-M Lite and they run about $160 couldn't one at very least just get one of those, run the hack and have a fully functional Naza-M V2 for around a hundered bucks cheaper?
BOT

[scratch that] Got it, GPS, PMU, CanBus.... my bad :oops:

Last edited:
Hello Ian,

my skills in hacking are very limited. If you know someone who can pursuit this further on the software part, we would all be very happy

Yeah, but hell, where's the challenge in that? :p
Also, since the hack DOES work on a Naza-M Lite and they run about $160 couldn't one at very least just get one of those, run the hack and have a fully functional Naza-M V2 for around a hundered bucks cheaper?
BOT

[scratch that] Got it, GPS, PMU, CanBus.... my bad :oops:

Not suggesting you give up. I get the challenge thing.

Remember the original question involves IF a 'Phantom' (2) Naza-M V2 can be done and has it been done already.

I wish you guys luck
We all stand to benefit.

Remember member 'Hunch' or 'Hutch' (sorry I don't recall) has several for sale at $75 last I read.

I know there's a way to erase the firmware by jumpering two of the connectors on the NAZA. So, unless the bootloader is different, it could be a matter of erasing it and then connecting it to the full NAZA client to download the NAZA firmware.

If the bootloader is different than it may require spoofing whatever identifiers there are through some sort of USB or software trickery.

If the bootloader is different than it may require spoofing whatever identifiers there are through some sort of USB or software trickery.

Ian,
I think that's dead on! And from what I can gather is what they did to get the Naza-M V2 firmware onto a Naza-M Lite device, as referenced Here:
"Even though DJI is using the same hardware in the $170 Naza Light and the $300 Naza V2, upgrading the firmware requires an Internet connection to the DJI servers. [udnham] wrote a utility that modifies the /etc/hosts file on your computer, runs a service, and allows you to upgrade your firmware on the Naza Light. It’s basically a $130 firmware upgrade for a DJI flight controller that’s a single download away."

Here:
"Well a couple of clever guys over at naza-upgrade.com have figured out how to change the boot loader to the Naza Lite and make it allow you to load the Naza-M firmware. There is no difference in the hardware between the Naza Lite and the Naza-M, the only difference is the boot loader they use and the software features each version of the firmware has."

And here:
"The issue is that dji has locked Naza-m lite bootloader so that you cannot simply use v2 assistant to upgrade firmware. We have conducted substantial research to be able to unlock firmware upgrade feature. So far we have successfully uploaded the lastest Naza-m v2 firmware (version 4.02) into Naza-m lite controller and have made inflight tests of additional dji equipment, such as iOSD and 2.4Ghz datalink."
BOT

I saw this Circus pass thru here a while back fellas.

Forget converting to a Hex, if this were to be hacked then the proprietary battery would be history.
Like printer cartidges these likely have enormous margins.

Gotts ta give DJI credit.
They locked this up tight enough that by the time it may be hacked it's too late to have any real impact.

Unfortunately DJI is discontinuing Naza mV2 and Naza M Lite. They are not available to purchase on their web site any longer. I wonder what they will replace it with for us do it yourselfers?

[udnham] wrote a utility that modifies the /etc/hosts file on your computer, runs a service, and allows you to upgrade your firmware on the Naza Light
Maybe the thing to do is look at that exe. and possibly reverse engineer it for a Naza-M V2 instead of a Naza-M Lite. I dunno, just throwing ideas out there. But then like NO17RW already alluded to, if it's that simple I gotta ask why hasn't someone already done it? That's out of the scope of my knowledge (well, I might be able to do something like that but just can't afford the day's or weeks it would take to teach it to myself... LOL). Another thought,... maybe we can contact this udnham guy and see if he would be willing to tackle it like he did for the Naza-M Lite?
BOT

[edit] I just realized this subject now has me quoting my own post's.. sheeze. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Maybe the thing to do is look at that exe. and possibly reverse engineer it for a Naza-M V2 instead of a Naza-M Lite. I dunno, just throwing ideas out there. But then like NO17RW already alluded to, if it's that simple I gotta ask why hasn't someone already done it? That's out of the scope of my knowledge (well, I might be able to do something like that but just can't afford the day's or weeks it would take to teach it to myself... LOL). Another thought,... maybe we can contact this udnham guy and see if he would be willing to tackle it like he did for the Naza-M Lite?
BOT

[edit] I just realized this subject now has me quoting my own post's.. sheeze. LOL
Well it has been a very hot week BOT :D

Well it has been a very hot week BOT :D
Naw... I think it was more that 4 of the 5 voices in my head told me to answer that guy. :confused::eek::confused:
So I did.... :D
BOT

Reactions: dirkclod
BOT

Ok, this is getting funny. I guess I will quote you quoting the voices you hear, I wonder if they are like mine. I listen to them and end up accomplishing some interesting stuff. :)
If no one has done it to the P2V+ yet, perhaps it's because they were too busy trying to keep it from falling out of the sky or flying away. It's a great bird, except for those issues.

I'm still stuck on the fact it's a NAZA module and can be hacked.
Thanks Ian... :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl