Controller switches?

Reaction score
I apologise in advance for this novice question, but I have searched in vain for a clear and concise description of precisely what the two (S1 and S2) switches do in their respective positions.
I understand that at my stage of experience, it is best to leave them both up.
I also understand that the right switch, when facing upwards, keeps the Vision in GPS mode. But that's where it all gets a bit fuzzy.
I believe one can change the flight mode from within the Flight Assistant software on my PC when the Vision is connected. But what exactly does this do?
Please could someone take the time to clearly lay out firstly what these switches do in their various positions "out the box", and then describe how to reprogram the Vision into the more advanced state...and what exactly these switches do once that is complete?
You would be doing all us nontechnical types a HUGE favour.
And many thanks to all on this forum for sharing their invaluable experience and knowledge.

I'm a rookie pilot too. But I've done a few flights now and I've found out quite a bit from this site.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
The Vision is set up out of the box so novices like me can fly it easily from day 1. As such when you go into the software assistant you will see in the top tap that it is in Vision mode. Like this the aircraft will fly locked to GPS all the time. The S1 and S2 switches don't basically do anything except if the Vision is returning home in fail safe you can regain control by operating the S1 switch .

If you change the mode in software assistant to NAZA, the aircraft becomes more like the original Phantom with different modes available from S1 and S2. S1 up is GPS, which is just like Vision mode ie if you take your hands off the sticks the aircraft just stops and holds height and position. Middle position is Att mode, if you take your hands off, the aircraft will hold height but not GPS position so will drift downwind or just keep going. The lower position of S1 can either be set by you in Software assistant as Manual or Failsafe (return home). I would have no hope of flying it manually , so I set it as fail safe .
The S2 Switch controls IOC ( Intelligent Orientation Control) . Up is IOC off, middle is Course Lock and lower is Home Lock.
I don't really understand Course Lock but I have used Home Lock. If you switch down to Home Lock and pull the right hand stick full back the aircraft returns to its home position no matter what direction it's pointing, that's why it's called intelligent orientation.

The LEDs are different in NAZA mode because you get a double sequence of lights. The first flash tells you the position of the S1 switch. One green if you are in Gps, one Amber if you are in Att and Green/amber if you are in IOC. The second sequence tells you how many Satellites you are receiving, No flash for greater than 6 and various numbers of reds for 6 or less. So if you are in Att mode with 10 sats you would get Amber plus None.

Most people say stick with Vision mode until you get happy with basic flying. I moved to NAZA mode after 3 days of flying because I like the extra options you get with the S1 and S2 switches. Also some say you get a steadier photo in Att mode because the aircraft isn't constantly manoeuvring to maintain its GPS position.

Experienced flyers feel free to correct me if I'm wrong !

Actually what I did which helped a lot was to power up the Vision indoors (motors off) and play around with S1 and S2 switches and see how the LEDs change. Also if you are connected to Software assistant , as you operate S1 and S2 , the mode you have selected is highlighted.

Thank you all so much for your response. I certainly have a much clearer understanding than before. This is a very cool forum. Cheers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing