Continue Using?

Reaction score
As best I can tell, with my eyesight, this battery is missing two of the copper points. It’s probable that I have been flying with it in this condition for some time due to the fact that I just noticed it. If I am not mistaken, this is the battery that became stuck in the P4. It took quite a bit of up and down movement (along with plastic knifes stuck into both tabs) to get it out. If this is that same battery and it was damaged when it became stuck then I have flown at least 10 times with it in this conditions. Only been flying six months. Need guidance from experienced and knowledgeable members.

Attachments

• E689E4CF-6AAC-471F-AEC9-7782CACE2A9A.jpeg
    E689E4CF-6AAC-471F-AEC9-7782CACE2A9A.jpeg
    712 KB · Views: 535
Crap. That battery has less than 30 flights. I’ll trash it. Thanks
You could sell it 'as is' on Ebay. Maybe someone will take a chance.
For that matter, it may never fail if you continue to use it, but it'll be the first thing you think of if you see the bird making a death-spiral toward the ground, won't it? You'll say,'Darn, I knew that might happen.****.'
A flight is already a BP-raising event for me without unknown variables being willingly introduced.
BTW, I'm no expert on these boards, but it is what I would do.

I dont have an argument in reference to your “cost analysis” point. That tells me it needs to go.

I agree that that battery probably needs to go just for the risk factor alone. However looking at those contacts it makes me wonder about the condition of the contacts on the craft side. You may want to consider some contact cleaners and see what you've actually got on the craft side.
If they are as bad as I'm thinking they might be you could possibly start destroying your connections on other batteries.

Reactions: WWI Flying Ace
And it gets worse...I didn’t even think about that possibility. Thanks, I’ll check them before I fly again.

I don’t have any contact cleaner but I will get some. Apparently you were right about it damaging my other batteries. I have one other battery that is starting to show minor damage also. What should I do?

Attachments

• 003234D2-7032-4C37-BB1E-66C9E2E33A36.jpeg
    003234D2-7032-4C37-BB1E-66C9E2E33A36.jpeg
    886.4 KB · Views: 406
To clarify my last question, should I try bend the contacts on the AC back in place if they are out of alignment? That is, after I clean them and if they are out of alignment. I can’t really tell what’s going on in there now because they are so dirty.

I would definitely get some contact cleaner and possibly a small straight nylon brush so that you can reach into those contacts. Don't worry too much about overspray but don't get carried away. Eventually most good contact cleaners dry up with no residue left behind. But you want to make sure that Gunk from the burns doesn't go seeping into the craft also.
I don’t have any contact cleaner but I will get some. Apparently you were right about it damaging my other batteries. I have one other battery that is starting to show minor damage also. What should I do?

I’m up to $370 worth of trashed batteries (2) so far. I have four more at another location I will have to check. This s@@t could potentially cost me hundreds more dollars from where I’m at now. What a morning!

Attachments

• 1C83466A-9A61-45C9-A9F7-927E116B1069.jpeg
    1C83466A-9A61-45C9-A9F7-927E116B1069.jpeg
    924.2 KB · Views: 393
@Iflylow, did you buy this new or used? If this Phantom is only 6 months old it should be sent back to DJI for evaluation.

Reactions: RaeThrills
This AC is not even six months old. The original AC I purchased in December has been replaced twice, once due pilot error, the other replacement was covered under the warranty by DJI. I’ve had this P4 less than 3 months. I will contact DJI but I’ve found them depressingly awful to deal with.

Attachments

• 0A362709-09B1-43B7-8222-45E56C97940A.png
    0A362709-09B1-43B7-8222-45E56C97940A.png
    4 MB · Views: 417
These are the contacts cleaned up. See any problems?

Attachments

• 56BF1324-28B6-4B00-B7C8-E713F2102FEE.jpeg
    56BF1324-28B6-4B00-B7C8-E713F2102FEE.jpeg
    695.6 KB · Views: 404
These are the contacts cleaned up. See any problems?

Is that a reflection on the pin all the way to the right? My concern is what caused all that debris to happen in the first place. Did the batteries clean up?

It appears to be a white residue? Corrosion? I have had batteries become stuck in this Phantom. Each time I’ve had to stick plastic knife ends into both the bottom and top tabs while moving the battery vertically on my end until it comes free. Sometimes that vertical movement has been quite a lot. Do you think that is what is ruining my batteries.

Hold on. I cleaned the wrong Phantom. I got kids running all over screaming. I’ll send pics shortly.

Reactions: Wilbur
It appears to be a white residue? Corrosion? I have had batteries become stuck in this Phantom. Each time I’ve had to stick plastic knife ends into both the bottom and top tabs while moving the battery vertically on my end until it comes free. Sometimes that vertical movement has been quite a lot. Do you think that is what is ruining my batteries.

It is hard to tell what it is or what is causing it and it is definitely not normal.

Hold on. I cleaned the wrong Phantom. I got kids running all over screaming. I’ll send pics shortly.

The original one looked melted.

Reactions: Jim Canada

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak