Consumer Alert !!!!!

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Phantom 4 Pro. For $1500 I wanted to get insurance. It was recommended to try www.neary-aerial.com for a good quote. I spoke with the owner, Matt Neary. Everything seemed great. He has a one-time charge for the drone and no per incident charges like DJI does. He also didn’t limit to 2 incidents per contract year like DJI does. He even pays for shipping. So I signed up for a plan.

Low and behold I crashed my P4P a month later on Easter Sunday.

I called Matt first thing Monday morning to start a claim. He stated he uses an authorized DJI repair facility in MN and would generate me a label but couldn’t do it until end of the day. I wanted to get my drone there quicker so I asked if I could just ship myself. He said sure. However, when I called the repair facility I was told their tech was out this week so it would just sit on a shelf. I called Matt right back but got VM. Told him to go ahead and generate a label. I also left an email.

Next day no label and Matt is m.i.a. I left several emails and voice mails, all un-returned.

I was able to reach him Wed. He said he would generate a label but again not until after 6pm. I thought to myself he must have a full time job and does this on the side. This is fine but he should have a way (i.e. assistant) to help him with his drone insurance business.

So I got the label and shipped it off. The FedEx tracker showed it arrived this Monday. I waited until Wed and called them directly. Due to backlog they hadn’t worked on it yet, but said he would do his best to look at it that day.

I called today, Friday, for an update. I was told they are NO longer accepting insurance claims from Neary Aerial due to multiple and continued lack of payment from Neary !!!!

His web site is now conveniently down.

Needless to say I was furious!!!

I wanted to make all of you aware of my situation as a public service announcement

So the repair facility have your drone right? Can they ship it back to you?

They are just opening the box now and will provide me a very reasonable quote. I mean it's already there. I am also going to demand a refund of my contract (which should hopefully cover repair). If he doesn't refund me I will work with Amex to get a refund and have them fight with him. I also am filing a complaint with BBB.

Just sucks that I was just talking to the guy last Wed when he finally generated a shipping label. I would have preferred him to be honest and say hey man, look having financial issues ...

Yes I did do research before I bought and things looked good.

Personally, insurance is a crap shoot. If no one files claims he makes money. But if enough people crash their drone and file a claim, he loses.

Tell me about it.. Hoping repair won't be more than the cost of the policy.
When I signed up with him, he assured me (7) day turn around including shipping. Have not been able to get a hold of him & his website does not appear to work any longer. Last time it did work, I believe he was showing pricing for Gold plan to repair Phantom 4 @ $100 cheaper then he charged me in December. I don't want to think this, but it may be time to contact our credit card folks and/or Law Enforcement and see if it can be determined if we have all been scammed.
Lets all keep this issue at the forefront and share any information we get, with each other.

Oh dear, I know it is a US thing, but we in the UK tend to follow, so look out for the scam artists.
Hope you get your bird back without too much hassle and cost.

Tell me about it.. Hoping repair won't be more than the cost of the policy.
Next time try to get insurance from a well known organization... Like state farm insurance or any big insurance company. Don't try to go with the cheapest, never hear before insurance company.

Well new update... looks like the camera may be damaged. If so no way I would fix it i would just get a new one.

What is anyone's experience with DJI Care? I have heard they make you jump through so many hoops and the wait time is long.

Thoughts???

NUTS ! I too have a service repair contract with NearyAerial. They (Matt) have always been honest with me, so I'm really confused at this development. I sent Matt an email, so hopefully he will respond. If he does, I'll post results back here.

Until then, I'll try not to crash. [emoji37]

Hmmmm I may be in the market for another P4P. Do you have a link for where to get refirb units? what sort of warranty do they have

How is DJI care? worth it? Turnaround time? do they fix or send a refirub?

NUTS ! I too have a service repair contract with NearyAerial. They (Matt) have always been honest with me, so I'm really confused at this development. I sent Matt an email, so hopefully he will respond. If he does, I'll post results back here.

Until then, I'll try not to crash. [emoji37]
Let me know if you reach him. Don't mention my incident or post. I want to see if I can reach him. If he knows about this he may not return call

Don't think its feasible for legal action. I'm in Atlanta he is in KY. Not even sure how that would work out

I mean 1000 to repair or 1500 for new one - thats alot of money but is it worth the hassle of a court case. I mean if I have to goto KY then no way

Depending on the outcome of this mess i suppose. I'm in the middle of my 2 year contract, so I still have coverage (I hope) , but if he's done we need to seek reimbursement from him. I paid with visa, so maybe I have an option there, don't know.

DD - sent you a PM.

If allowed, and you are willing, could you please point to the repair facility in Minnesota? I'm in MN and though (sarcasm on) I'm certain my beginners luck will keep me crash free for nearly ever, (sarcasm off) it would be nice to know of a local repair shop.

Thanks, and hopes for best outcomes in your ordeal.

If allowed, and you are willing, could you please point to the repair facility in Minnesota? I'm in MN and though (sarcasm on) I'm certain my beginners luck will keep me crash free for nearly ever, (sarcasm off) it would be nice to know of a local repair shop.

PM sent.

The repair shop is not the issue. In fact they have been pretty good with me. Its the guy I got insurance from (Neary) who in turn uses them as his drone repair facility

Let me know if you reach him. Don't mention my incident or post. I want to see if I can reach him. If he knows about this he may not return call
Any word from or about Neary? I've tried for a week with his phone and website not working. Don't need any work done,(yet), just would like to know if I got scammed. I may be able to get some kind of refund through the credit card folks, if I file soon enough. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: macoman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan