Connecting Transmitter to Assist Software

Reaction score
I just purchased a Phantom Vision and flew it with no problems. I wanted to upgrade the firm ware and did so via the Assist software (downloaded driver and Assist software). The Phantom Vision's firmware was upgraded no problem but it said to re-calibrate the transmitter via the Assist software. I carefully opened the transmitter case and plugged in the provided DJI mini USB cable into the provided port on the circuit board. The other USB is plugged into my computer. I turn the transmitter on and it does not seem to communicate with the software (no green light blinking). I tried turning off then back on nothing. I hear a "ding" that the computer recognizes that there is something plugged in but no communication. When I hook up the Vision to the software and turn on the transmitter I see the stick movement on the Assist Software when I move both sticks around. Can somebody tell me what I may be doing wrong?? I just want to hook up the transmitter alone to check the calibration. Did anybody do a modification to the transmitter using a small cable to the mini usb and making a port on the case so you don't have to open it every time you want to calibrate it?? Thanks

Found the answer as my Assistant Software would not connect to either the Phantom 2 or the Transmitter. I suspected the driver (Win 7) is the culprit. I tried the DJI Driver on the download page and once it installed (took a minute or so) the link now seems to work fine. BTW, I had to disable my anti-malware app as it blocks any downloads from the DJI website.

Update: I spoke too soon, this fixed the connection problem with the Phantom 2 but not the transmitter. I get the usb connected beep but the assistant indicates that it is not connected. I tried another usb cable and got the same result.

Sounds like we are in the same boat to no where. LOL I flew my phantom with only the firmware upgrade to the quad. It seems to work fine without calibrating the transmitter. I did check it by connecting the quad via the usb cable and turning on my transmitter. It will show the stick movement and everything seems to center out.

So I plugged the Phantom in to the laptop and have the assist software running. Does anybody know if the transmitter can be calibrated through this method??? I went to the tab that deals with the transmitter and it seems to work. The USB in the transmitter (splitting the case open) does not work. Emailed DJI 2 days ago. No response. Good thing they are not in the medical industry!

robelander said:
So I plugged the Phantom in to the laptop and have the assist software running. Does anybody know if the transmitter can be calibrated through this method??? I went to the tab that deals with the transmitter and it seems to work. The USB in the transmitter (splitting the case open) does not work. Emailed DJI 2 days ago. No response. Good thing they are not in the medical industry!

There are two different programs. DJI Assistant plugs into the Phantom. RC Assistant plugs into the Transmitter. You need to make sure you're using the RC assistant to upgrade and calibrate the transmitter. Oh, and by the way, if you're a Mac user there is no RC assistant for Mac available, you have to use a windows based computer or run windows on VM Ware/Parallels etc.

Hope that helps. DJI does not make this easy.

jondrew said:
Oh, and by the way, if you're a Mac user there is no RC assistant for Mac available, you have to use a windows based computer or run windows on VM Ware/Parallels etc.

Are you sure about that? I have a Mac and just downloaded the RC assistant s/w from the DJI site. Maybe they just put it up on the site?

DesertFlyer53 said:
jondrew said:
Oh, and by the way, if you're a Mac user there is no RC assistant for Mac available, you have to use a windows based computer or run windows on VM Ware/Parallels etc.

Are you sure about that? I have a Mac and just downloaded the RC assistant s/w from the DJI site. Maybe they just put it up on the site?

You're absolutely right! Looks like they put it up there yesterday. Whoo hooo!

jondrew said:
DesertFlyer53 said:
jondrew said:

You're absolutely right! Looks like they put it up there yesterday. Whoo hooo!

Good! My timing was just right then since I just recieved my Phantom 2 today and have only a Mac! :D

AH HAH!! Figures a day after my original post the software for RC Assist comes out for the transmitter (at least under Phantom Vision support downloads). See everybody DJI pulls through... don't be so hard on them (oh yeah by the way I still never heard back from them since I emailed them 5 days ago).

robelander said:
AH HAH!! Figures a day after my original post the software for RC Assist comes out for the transmitter (at least under Phantom Vision support downloads). See everybody DJI pulls through... don't be so hard on them (oh yeah by the way I still never heard back from them since I emailed them 5 days ago).

I have nothing but praise for the DJI products I've had my hands on so far (Phantom 2 Vision and Phantom 2 w/Zen Gimbal). They are amazing technical achievements that let people with virtually no hands on experience with RC have a flying camera with FPV capabilities. I think the build quality of their products (except maybe the transmitters) is exceptional. But from a product support POV they stink on ice. I realize they are going through some turmoil domestically and its great that there are support forums like this to get info from. I'd recommend DJI stuff to anyone who asks, but with the appropriate disclaimers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl