Confusing dji article

Anything 'could' be. People need to chill until we know something for sure about the scope of the DJI change. And I'm just as frustrated as anyone when it comes to DJI's absolute incompetence when it comes to communicating this stuff.

Let's face facts. DJI is awful at every aspect of communication. They cant get release dates on time. You don't even get your drone returned to you if it is sent in to the company. They are always shrouded in mock-secrecy (stupidity), and they give half-cocked reponses to their users about how "we arent using the product correctly" or "if a cold imu calibrate doesnt fix the issue, it will have to be sent in". Knowing all the while there is a firmware issue, or their app sucks, or whatever. But they are on the other side of the pond so they just sit there, point west, and laugh. And we keep paying them.

Reactions: Badaxed
This all obviously has something to do with the fact that drone registration was shot down in the us courts. Now you don't have to register your drone so when somebody does something stupid their gonna be looking to dji to tell them who was flying it.

DJI had no idea what the ruling would be. I think the lawsuit has been going on for a year, if they were even following it.

FAA registration was useless in the context of tracking down owners unless the drone crashed and was recovered with the registration number still readable or even on it. The same goes for serial numbers. And quite frankly, if you crash a drone in an "illegal" context, you should be tracked down.

DJI is obviously creating an international database of users. Your serial number is going to be your license plate number basically. I'm sure you will have to log back in from time to time.

They already have this in many cases.

you will certainly be agreeing in the user agreement to allow them to release your identity. Its the logical conclusion given the FAA's loss in the courts.

You don't need to agree to anything for a subpoena to be valid.

The other option is for the drone companies to stand aside, wipe their hands and say "not my problem" . . . then let politicians run wild with this ammunition.

Reactions: sar104 and DKG13CC
Right, so I just powered up my P3P after reading this thread. Neither my P3P or the DJIgo app are currently telling me that I need to do a firmware update. My P3P is a replacement unit from DJI europe (different serial numbers on both the shell and the gimbal to the ones I sent for repair). I don't ever recall registering the new bird when I received it back from DJI and now I am concerned that if i log into my account, via the DJI go app, I will have to register & update, as per this thread. The bird flies perfectly well and I don't want to upgrade the firmware if I don't need to, my concern is that it isn't registered with DJI and if I log in via the app, it will force me to register/update, but if it's not registered then I can't get any help from DJI, if I need it!
Where should I see details of my bird on my DJI account? because at the minute, it doesn't seem to show anything at all. If I log into my DJI account online, I don't see any products registered to me, should I do?

Right, so I just powered up my P3P after reading this thread. Neither my P3P or the DJIgo app are currently telling me that I need to do a firmware update. My P3P is a replacement unit from DJI europe (different serial numbers on both the shell and the gimbal to the ones I sent for repair). I don't ever recall registering the new bird when I received it back from DJI and now I am concerned that if i log into my account, via the DJI go app, I will have to register & update, as per this thread. The bird flies perfectly well and I don't want to upgrade the firmware if I don't need to, my concern is that it isn't registered with DJI and if I log in via the app, it will force me to register/update, but if it's not registered then I can't get any help from DJI, if I need it!
Where should I see details of my bird on my DJI account? because at the minute, it doesn't seem to show anything at all. If I log into my DJI account online, I don't see any products registered to me, should I do?
Just Man Up and see what happens :D , someone's gotta do it..

I think its fair to say a couple of things:

1, people are panicking

2, its been clearly stated that AS LONG AS YOU LOG IN NO RESTRICTIONS WILL APPLY

3, it makes sense that this is probably related to the new FAA rules about not having to register

4, DJI are not so stupid that they will start limiting our drones ability like this, that will quite obviously lead to detrimental sales and reputation..

5, i think if ever the were thinking about restricting there drones capability's then there would be a over ride button which said something like this will be at your own risk etc

Daz

Reactions: sar104
Just Man Up and see what happens :D , someone's gotta do it..

Ha yeh right! I'll let some other mug brick theisr first ;)

In all seriousness though, how do I find out what products are registered to me? I can't seem to see anything at all. The bird is connected in the DJI go app, but I don't see any details of registered products.

Don't have this problem with my p2 with zenmuse gimbal and gopro lol. [emoji16]

The way it sounds to me is that they are planning to force geofencing on us as well as whatever arbitrary altitude or other restrictions the country has.

Here are the problems with that:
It sounds like they are removing the ability to override an NFZ so if you DO have authorization to fly there you are out of luck.

It may be that the drone, or DJI, are planning an automatic tattletale system.

DJI cannot possibly keep an up to date realtime database of all restricted areas, the current system is already screwed up, add in the possibility of no overrides and automatic tattletale and that is a real problem. Example, the local hospital has a helipad, the entire time I have lived here I have never seen it used, and there is no helicopter present that I have ever seen, would their new system interpret that as an airfield and set a 5 mile exclusion zone around that? I live right across the border from Canada, my drone (Phantom 4) would be illegal under Canadian law, I have no interest in flying over the border, but might their new system draw a 9km exclusion zone from the Canadian border because a sea plane could theoretically land in the river and the Canadian law would spread a restricted zone across the border? What about height? The FAA does not actually limit us to 400 feet, but they hate admitting that and they have people repeating as if it's law, could DJI arbitrarily limit us to 400 feet?

What if you don't have GPS lock, could you still fly?

What if you can and then the GPS locks in flight and thinks it's in a restricted area, would it force a landing and potentially destroy the drone or put it down where it can't be retrieved?
The 400 ft US restriction is above AGL right? But the drone only knows above takeoff. So if I take off from the field behind my house and wanting to fly up my mountain I need to increase max height to 500 ft. But I'm not going more than 400 ft AGL at any point.

Reactions: Badaxed
The 400 ft US restriction is above AGL right? But the drone only knows above takeoff. So if I take off from the field behind my house and wanting to fly up my mountain I need to increase max height to 500 ft. But I'm not going more than 400 ft AGL at any point.

And that is not going to change according to DJI's email: "All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same."

This all obviously has something to do with the fact that drone registration was shot down in the us courts. Now you don't have to register your drone so when somebody does something stupid their gonna be looking to dji to tell them who was flying it. DJI is obviously creating an international database of users. Your serial number is going to be your license plate number basically. I'm sure you will have to log back in from time to time. They will probably be a lot of really nice features added to make uses want to take the update but you will certainly be agreeing in the user agreement to allow them to release your identity. Its the logical conclusion given the FAA's loss in the courts.

I'm starting to think you are right. DJI is worried about lawsuits since the U.S. Federal Appeals Court ruling says we can fly drones anonymously. If one of us does something naughty with a drone, they wanna be able to find out who did what and report it to the authorities.

We're dealing with a company located in a country that enjoys spying on it's 1.4 billion citizens with impunity. Now, this company wants to spy on every other country using their drones as the surveillance apparatus. Welcome to Big Brother ....... Ming-style, baby :eek:

I'm gonna really enjoy my attorney taking DJI to the cleaners ..... I might be able to afford a new 2017 Lamborghini Aventador with the settlement check :p

Your "attorney" would be buying the one buying a Lamborghini . . . I mean, you could maybe take pictures of it with your drone . . .

Naw, brah .... my attorney is my old college roommate. We are "brohs" for life, and he offers me a nice discount whenever he has a chance to squeeze a fat settlement out of a corrupt organization like DJI :D

Your "attorney" would be buying the one buying a Lamborghini . . . I mean, you could maybe take pictures of it with your drone . . .
In a class action you may be reimbursed for the cost of the drone depending on the amount of people who sign on and the amount of settlement but its the attorneys who make the most, and the company gets a dent in the wallet and smeared in the press...

I think its fair to say a couple of things:

2, its been clearly stated that AS LONG AS YOU LOG IN NO RESTRICTIONS WILL APPLY

In fact, it suggests quite the opposite. The email I received this morning says that re registering "ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile."

Note the "and flight functions". What flight functions? It seems that some functions will be removed or restricted, depending on where you live. The only things that it says will remain the same are the altitude limits and geofencing boundaries. Actual functions and features are very much in doubt.

eg. Many countries have drone laws which state that the pilot must remain in control of the drone. Does that mean that DJI will remove Waypoint flying, POI, Active Tracking, Follow Me etc from those countries? I believe that, given my past experience with my previous P3A, it's not beyond DJI to make changes of that nature.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164