Confusing dji article

This is how we need to fight back against the arrogant DJI ---- let's all band together and file a class action lawsuit against them and teach 'em a good lesson that WE are the boss because we buy their products. They are not Big Brother and can not arbitrarily decide who is breaking mysterious parameters about height or distance limits. This is exactly how the Chinese govt. works in secrecy and it really p*sses me off that a Chinese company thinks they have a right to monitor and control what their customers do in every country of the world !! Communism is NOT my cup of tea! :mad:
If this pans out how I think it will I'll sign up in a heart beat for a lawsuit I joined one against Nikon and had my D600 replaced with a new model, it looks like DJI is gonna get a huge spankin by its customers via the U.S.A. legal system...
Nikon Settles D600 Class Action Lawsuit by Offering D600 Owners Free D610s

If this pans out how I think it will I'll sign up in a heart beat for a lawsuit I joined one against Nikon and had my D600 replaced with a new model, it looks like DJI is gonna get a huge spankin by its customers via the U.S.A. legal system...
Nikon Settles D600 Class Action Lawsuit by Offering D600 Owners Free D610s

Since the email this morning stated "All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same", why don't you at least wait to see how this pans out before making silly predictions.

It looks like these changes might only affect pilots in China. Here's an email I received today from one of DJI's developer email lists:

"Dear developer,

In July, DJI aircraft firmware will require mobile applications that control DJI aircraft to be activated with the user’s DJI account, if that application is being used in China. This will ensure operators use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for their aircraft, as determined by their geographical location and user profile.

A summary of the activation system is:

• On July 1, this feature will go live on all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware
  • Users in China will be required to activate their application by logging into their DJI account at least once every three months within the application
  • Activation will be persistent in the application until the user logs out
  • A data connection will be required to log into a DJI account
  • Outside of China, the SDK will automatically activate the application without requiring the user to log in
  • If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.

This week, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will be released that will include APIs to support this system. Applications should update to v4.1 as soon as they can to support the activation system natively. For applications that are not upgraded to v4.1 or activated by the user, full aircraft functionality can still be achieved by first connecting any other upgraded/activated application on each power cycle of the aircraft. For example, DJI Go could be initially connected to the aircraft, then the user could switch to the SDK based application.

In addition, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will include support for M200, Phantom 4 Advanced, and Individual Unlock Fly Zones. Please see the release notes for more details on the updates to the Mobile SDK.

As always, the DJI Dev Team is committed to improving your developer experience. Please report any bugs or questions you have to [email protected]. We recommend that you frequently check the DJI SDK downloads page to ensure that you are always working with the latest version of the DJI SDK.

Regards,
The DJI Dev Team"

Since the email this morning stated "All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same", why don't you at least wait to see how this pans out before making silly predictions.
Yeah yeah yeah, well for me in my area the geofencing boundaries mean a death sentence for flying,
You can't change the rules after taking someone's $$$ and expect people to " just be OK with it " Sorry but that's not how things work , at least with me you may like rolling with the punches , I don't.

Reactions: Matchlock and JWH
Yeah yeah yeah, well for me in my area the geofencing boundaries mean a death sentence for flying,
You can't change the rules after taking someone's $$$ and expect people to " just be OK with it " Sorry but that's not how things work , at least with me you may like rolling with the punches , I don't.

If what you mean, then, is that you think that this change is going to prevent you from flaunting the rules and guidelines then good luck trying to sue anyone for that.

Reactions: Falcon900
If what you mean, then, is that you think that this change is going to prevent you from flaunting the rules and guidelines then good luck trying to sue anyone for that.

If the rules , guidelines , aircraft functions were crippled after the fact then Yes , Flying for me and plenty of others would/will be affected . Time will tell.

Way to panic before understanding what you are panicking about. Enjoy your new, uh, GoPro Karma?

No i have a P3P running old firmware on an ipad with ios 9.3 that will never get updated. Cameras are almost identical on a curved 4k TV anyway. I was disappointed with the 4 anyway, and since it is subject to all this new nonsense (ie: they can limit the mother effer now), and Ive had nothing but trouble out of Go4, im done with that bird. As the products get newer, they worse. Thanks for your sarcastic comment.

If the rules , guidelines , aircraft functions were crippled after the fact then Yes , Flying for me and plenty of others would/will be affected . Time will tell.

No - the rules haven't changed. And it's not even clear if DJI will be changing the way that they ensure that they are followed but, even if they do, suing for not being allowed to break Federal rules and guidelines is not going to get you very far.

Reactions: Falcon900
www.suasnews.com/2017/05/dji-restrict-non-compliant-drones-next-update/

I read that the the FAA did not have the right to control Hobby non pilot aircraft, a recent court ruling?
DJI is going to control items it sold without those restrictions stated prior to sale?

The right of the individual, the protection of the general public?

My backyard is a very small place to fly in.

This was about mandatory registration of hobbyists drones. You still have to operate safely under FAR 101.41

So it's unclear... is this just a requirement to comply with the restrictive policies of the Chinese government and only affects units flown in China, and will have no effect elsewhere? I guess the $64,000 question is regarding the Geo database... will it still be optional or will it now be mandatory (outside of China)? If the Geo database will remain optional then this represents no real change, since NFZ's and 'Authorization Areas' are already restricted in firmware. OTOH if the Geo database is rigidly enforced then that would significantly affect functionality for a large number of users. Also the Developer's info message doesn't mention the serial number broadcast... is that in the update or not?

Last edited:
Reactions: lickitysplit11111
The geo database will be mandatory, because the safety regs are still mandatory. The only thing thats changed is you dont have to pay to attach your name to your craft if you are a hobbyist. You can now fly, at least in that aspect, anonymously. Thats about it.

The geo database will be mandatory, because the safety regs are still mandatory. The only thing thats changed is you dont have to pay to attach your name to your craft if you are a hobbyist. You can now fly, at least in that aspect, anonymously. Thats about it.
The geo database is not mandatory now (I'm referring to the currently advisory database, not offical NFZs and Authorization areas.) If it were made mandatory it would represent a significant change from present. And the 'safety regs' vary based on what regulatory section you are flying under and are not universal, nor even clearly defined in many cases.

This all obviously has something to do with the fact that drone registration was shot down in the us courts. Now you don't have to register your drone so when somebody does something stupid their gonna be looking to dji to tell them who was flying it. DJI is obviously creating an international database of users. Your serial number is going to be your license plate number basically. I'm sure you will have to log back in from time to time. They will probably be a lot of really nice features added to make uses want to take the update but you will certainly be agreeing in the user agreement to allow them to release your identity. Its the logical conclusion given the FAA's loss in the courts.

Whatever DJI is cooking up will most likely be applied to anything you buy from them in the future.
I have no question that is an accurate statement. I haven't, and won't update again, since 8/2016. Everything works. I intend that to continue.

The bold underlined is the operative statement for me. DJI has lost a customer. I am disappointed in this requirement and it's final effect on my desire to do any more business with them.

I don't buy products that vendors retain 100% of control regarding how they operate. DJI products serve me well, but they are NOT the only vendor out there that can meet my needs.

Reactions: Pete43 and JWH
This all obviously has something to do with the fact that drone registration was shot down in the us courts. Now you don't have to register your drone so when somebody does something stupid their gonna be looking to dji to tell them who was flying it. DJI is obviously creating an international database of users. Your serial number is going to be your license plate number basically. I'm sure you will have to log back in from time to time. They will probably be a lot of really nice features added to make uses want to take the update but you will certainly be agreeing in the user agreement to allow them to release your identity. Its the logical conclusion given the FAA's loss in the courts.
^^^^ This makes a lotta sense...

This all obviously has something to do with the fact that drone registration was shot down in the us courts.
Doubtful, almost impossible. DJI would have had to have something like this in the works for some while before public announcement and they couldn't have known about the court decision in advance.

Doubtful, almost impossible. DJI would have had to have something like this in the works for some while before public announcement and they couldn't have known about the court decision in advance.
I think this was their contingency plan. Dji is not happy about the faa ruling. Any lawyer worth his salt could tell you the faa was out of bounds demanding registration.

I think this was their contingency plan. Dji is not happy about the faa ruling. Any lawyer worth his salt could tell you the faa was out of bounds demanding registration.
We have no idea what 'this' (the DJI change) even is yet, much less that it is 'obviously' related to the ruling.

Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimCJWolfe