Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Coming straight down from altitude

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by johnbrowning, Jun 30, 2014.

1. johnbrowning

has anyone come straight down from altitude, with the stick all the way down, to see if there are problems?? I believe i read it's not recommended, but has anyone done it???

2. ftimster

Yep im on 1.08 and i can come down very quickly just not straight down keep moving!!

3. Dirty Bird

I do it all the time with 3.0 firmware and I've never had a problem.

4. Garysam

Phantom 2, version 3.0 at full stick do it all the time

5. Major_Defeat

With the descent restrictions, I cannot get any other control other than straight down if I want to descend at 2 m/s.
    If I want to do any forward or sideways movement I have to reduce this to 1 m/s.

So straight down it is, otherwise a flat battery will help me with a speedier descent. :shock:

6. Garysam

Yep same thing with me

7. canerakcil

Coming straight down speed is limited with the firmware update, but i don't understand why can't i come down at the same speed while going forward at the same time. It takes too much time.

If you descend the craft straight down fast, it will make unstable movements but if you fly the craft to any direction while descending, it won't be affected..

So i think straight down speed should be stay limited but flying and descending at the same time should be faster.

8. tmc6663

9. johnbrowning

Thanks all for the replies!

JB

10. Phantom_Menace66

If you have NAZA mode enabled, flick the S1 switch to ATTI and you can descend as quick as you like.... However, if you descend straight down very quickly, be sure to release the left stick at least 20-30ft above the ground as it takes time for the Phantom to stop falling....

11. rhino

And don't do it on a low battery.
    It won't have the power to slow the descent quick enough.

12. kajunaviator

I am new to the Phantom world, but I am a helicopter pilot and can tell you that it is not recommended to make a straight down descent in any type of rotor wing air raft. No matter what size aircraft, you can enter what is called ring state vortex. What happens is that the aircraft will begin to settle in it's own vortices and it will loose lift. That lose of lift if not intdrupted by forward flight will increase to the point that will make recovery impossible and the aircraft will literally fall from the sky. This is a very dangerous condition that we are taught in flight school to avoid at all costs.

13. Wedeliver

On the FC40 with no gimbal it is easy to see the quad start to rock back and forth when descending. Although it rocks a bit it does not loose control or seem like it would crash or anything. When I go to some high elevation I bring it down by fully pushing the throttle to the bottom. All this Vortex Ring State talk is getting me scared and I am not moving forward and backwards while descending so I don't end up with a bad story to tell. In 1968 I flew a Huey gunship in Vietnam 2 times for 1 hour total, never heard about VRS back then or I forgot about it. There are a lot of pilots here who believe that they have crashed due to that event occuring. There is one video of a P2V crashing and it does not even seem to be descending. It is hard to tell how the quad is flying when the gimbal smooths out everything.

14. kajunaviator

The difference when at a higher altitude is that you have wind flowing across the aircraft. At the lower altitude, you don't have as much wind. The speed of the wind directly translates to the forward air speed of an aircraft with zero wind. Therefore if you have a 10 knot wind speed , it will help to counteract the rotor vortices. Hope this helps.

15. kajunaviator

Anyone interested can Google Ring State Vortex. You will probably find a better explanation than what I can give.

16. kajunaviator

I mix up my words. It is Vortex Ring State, also called settling with power. Hope this helps.