Colorado family asking for help

That's a really unfortunate situation, but trying to use drones to search with no idea of where to look has a negligible chance of success. The area in question is huge, and much of it is NPS land where drones cannot be used anyway. The only realistic approach would be air-scent dogs working access roads and trails, but I suspect they will already have tried and failed.

Agreed as above. A realistic approach is ground based. I hope this turns out well.

Use drones to search a 100 mile forested wilderness area for someone not seen in the last 5 months?
They don't even have a reason to think she may have ended up in their presumed search area.
Missing Mom: Drone Pilots Requested In Search For Rita Gutierrez Garcia
Using drones would be a complete waste of time and effort with an exceptionally low probability of finding anything.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
They are aware and have cadaver dogs going out weekly. It amazes me how people will spend months looking for a drone but are so negative in something like this. Again I was just sharing I don't know the people who are asking for help

I wasn't trying to be negative and I was not criticizing you for asking - just giving a realistic assessment. We use drones in New Mexico for search and rescue, and I helped develop the plan, so I know what their strengths and weakness are, as well as the relevant regulations. USFS will give permission to fly SAR missions in wilderness, but the NPS is not so forthcoming in my experience.

They are aware and have cadaver dogs going out weekly. It amazes me how people will spend months looking for a drone but are so negative in something like this. Again I was just sharing I don't know the people who are asking for help
What they aren't aware of is the very limited usefulness of drones for searching, more so in forest and more so when you have no idea where your search target is..
They are out of hope and ideas and latching on to drones as some sort of magic bullet.

Reactions: Hounddog
The only positive thing that I would add, is that if you are searching in a remote forested area using a FLIR camera could definitely pick up a stray human. That said the amount of time that’s gone by and the possibilities of an accurate location seem to make the odds swim at best. My two cents

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94