Christmas lights

Reaction score
I have been thinking about flying around my neighborhood at night and film all the Christmas lights in the neighborhood

I have been reading and learning mostly by trial and error but would love some input from someone that can lead me in the right direction. The right settings. The app that I should use. How to control the timbale to get the best shots. Am I asking too much?

Thanks in advance!

I have been thinking about flying around my neighborhood at night and film all the Christmas lights in the neighborhood

I have been reading and learning mostly by trial and error but would love some input from someone that can lead me in the right direction. The right settings. The app that I should use. How to control the timbale to get the best shots. Am I asking too much?

Thanks in advance!
No, I'm mostly a newbie too, but there are lots of great people on this forum. Post and ask. Folks are very helpful!

It would be a great holiday oriented event to post night light shots.

not supposed to fly after dark and if you are inexperienced at flying it could be unwise, telephone lines are hard to see and it could be easy to lose site of the P3 against the lights. Its your call though. Be safe what ever you do..

Reactions: 383tdawg
It might be similar to photographing wildlife at less than the 150 Meter distance we are limited to here in Canada. Just don't post the footage or the authorities will be at your door in the morning with a summons to appear in court

It might be similar to photographing wildlife at less than the 150 Meter distance we are limited to here in Canada. Just don't post the footage or the authorities will be at your door in the morning with a summons to appear in court
Any flying approach should be: safety first. But isn't flying risky just by doing it? Manned flight is risking people's lives. Unmanned might also, but less so. Stay away from people. Understand the hazards in your airspace. Night is especially risky, but line of sight can be accomplished if watching the P3 LEDs. City, or neighborhood flying is not a good idea at night for sure. Limited flight airspace areas are safest. If a low flight or limited "cone" flight in the airspace to capture Christmas lights can be done safely that is the best approach. Or do not fly. Safest no risk approaches are to not fly at all. Don't fly in the day or night. Stay on the ground.

Reactions: The English Guy
You can legally fly your drone just as the sun is setting, which will also give you the best light for video. Also, you will be able to see powerlines and tree branches against the partially lit sky.

You will want to take your first images with the Sun behind the camera until you get familiar with light settings. Also, plan to do a small shot each night. You won't have much time to shoot. Also, you will want to contact the places you intend to shoot in advance since you are filming someone's yard. They may not want you to film it for some reason and you'll need to satisfy yourself with a different display. And if they are willing, you will need the lights on early, obviously.

Have fun.

I was thinking along the lines of a preflight with waypoints and save the flight path. Not just random flying. Specific areas that I know in neighborhoods I'm familiar with. High enough to avoid trees. But low enough to get great shots.

Bad idea?

I never agreed with not flying at night, once you're experienced enough to do so. Christmas lights can be tempting. I've done it. Last year I used a bebop drone and let me tell you, it was not easy with that drone, lol. It's best to know the houses you want to film and take a good look during the day for tree branches and other obstacles. If there's too many it's not worth the attempt at aerial. And it's very important to get permission from the homeowners as well, especially if you're really gonna fly on the property. Be very careful and practice on your own home first.

This homeowner was thrilled to have me fly it. However there were major branches forcing me to stay lower than I wanted. Still though, they loved it and I made a friend I never met before. It can be great or a disaster. Proceed with caution.

I was thinking along the lines of a preflight with waypoints and save the flight path. Not just random flying. Specific areas that I know in neighborhoods I'm familiar with. High enough to avoid trees. But low enough to get great shots.

Bad idea?
Be safe. Know the flight plan. Evaluate contingencies to still be safe if unexpected things happen. Keep it simple. Low risk.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Also having flown the P3 at night many times, just keep it in auto camera settings. In editing you can pull down the brightness a bunch and maybe bump up the saturation to make the colors more vivid. I use color none setting on the camera. You should be fine. And yeah, using waypoints could help you get better shots but it will also require more time to fly, which could invite unwanted attention. Good luck out there!

Reactions: kphantom
Where does it say that night flight is illegal?
There is nowhere that, at this time, says night flight is illegal. However, the FAA will be releasing more detailed rules governing the use of UAS. One of the rules seriously being considered is to limit recreational use to daylight hours, only. Based on certain clues, I am guessing a solid list of UAS rules will be released around the end of February 2016.

Long distance flight at night?. Naa but around my known and immediate area?. Sure and I do it all the time. But you better be ready to go hunt it down in case it crashes. Better go a locater too.

I wonder if they are more prove to interference at night versus during the sunny day

if you are going to do it - fly the route in the day - and set waypoints and heights using the dji app.
Save the mission.
Then do the same mission at night - it should be safe as you have taken account of obstacles already.
Alternative to this fly so high your waypoint mission to miss everything anyways.
You can can then while its flying waypoints still pan the camera down.
If you get into waypoints you can go more advanced and start pointing the aircraft in different places as you do the waypoints..

Not suppose to fly after dark...

Whoa. Is this the law, or recommendation? More than half of my flights have been AFTER dark. Orientation is easier in the dark with green lights in back and the red arms lit up in front. Wind is calmer. Also, reception is better after dark. The ionsphere does not interfere with the RC/Video transmission in the evening. Radio stations typically lower their output at night because there is no solar UV radiation, and reach the same listneners, usually more.

I'd like to know because I enjoy flying at night.

SD

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl