Check this out. I guess something released

A friend, N5VJK rigged up a simple device to drop a line over a tree to suspend ham radio antennas. He taped a stiff wire to one of the landing strutts sticking out front about 4 inches. He loops the line that also carries a 2 ounce weight to keep the line out of the props. When he gets to the desired location over the center of the tree, he simply rotates (yaws) 180 degrees and the line slips off. I have considered using this same method to carry home made parachutes up to the 400 foot level and release them. Similar to what I used to do as a kid with a kite!
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF[/QUOTE

I use my Phantom 3 Standard (also have a 3 Advanced) to string antenna line. However, I "leap the tree" with the 50lb monofilament fishing line attached and then land far enough out the angle doesn't catch in the props. I also use prop guards if I am doing this, for the same reason. I actually like N5VJK's method better and will give it a try. Thanks for the heads up. I also like your QRZ page.

Greg
KC9WNZ

I can see the advantage of using the drone to haul a string to install an antenna. It could go higher and faster than you could with a ladder. My concern would be a string getting tangled and then not releasing then crashing the drone.

I saw the drone fishing video a while back and had the same thought. My luck would be that it would get stuck and not release. I could see a big fish take down the drone! :) It would be fun to try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart