Check this out. I guess something released

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

remember some guys tried to find this kinda device before m I right?

Last edited:
Interesting! Please explain what we are seeing and how did you make the drop?
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

A friend, N5VJK rigged up a simple device to drop a line over a tree to suspend ham radio antennas. He taped a stiff wire to one of the landing strutts sticking out front about 4 inches. He loops the line that also carries a 2 ounce weight to keep the line out of the props. When he gets to the desired location over the center of the tree, he simply rotates (yaws) 180 degrees and the line slips off. I have considered using this same method to carry home made parachutes up to the 400 foot level and release them. Similar to what I used to do as a kid with a kite!
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

What he did by rotating drone must have been fun. I know some people did the exact same thing to drop something from the sky and they all seem very interesting but kinda hard to control and a bit dangerous to the beginners willing to do so. yawing 180 degrees, that's not an easy move. Thanks for sharing that

Reactions: cmgood
What he did by rotating drone must have been fun. I know some people did the exact same thing to drop something from the sky and they all seem very interesting but kinda hard to control and a bit dangerous to the beginners willing to do so. yawing 180 degrees, that's not an easy move. Thanks for sharing that

What's so hard about a 180 yaw? It's just right stick left or right to spin the bird.....

Yeah the 180 degree yaw does not endanger the drone. The line is held reasonably tight from the ground and the flying end is weighted so the line stays well below the propellers at all time. I am going to try this method at hanging wire antennas and will post the results back here.
Jim
WA5TEF

result you are going to post here will help me a lot

but still it may be a little weak to handle a thing more than 1lb i guess

I just started a new post on weight lifting. My Phantom 4 listed 2 pounds and ten ounces. Probably more but I ran out of weights. See my new thread here.
Jim
WA5TEF

Any videos you have for the weight lifting? And have you driven it to the other place? Did you do rotate and drop 2 or more pounds stuff?
What I want to know is that if rotating and dropping that much weight is possible or not.. I have never done so I think yawing with 2lb might loose its flying position.

Thanks

Yes, I pointed the camera down to record the event but not downloaded it yet. I only flew the drone to about 10 feet where it would be out of head height for me to add the extra weights. Boy, did it have a downdraft! I have not tried to yaw to release anything yet but I don't see why it would not work. Be advised though, it zaps a battery pretty fast and the motors do heat up. When I do some more weight lifting I'll post it here. I really want to determine which type of props will lift the most. I'll start with 2 and a half pounds and go up about an ounce at a time until it starts descending. I let it get in trouble once though, the weight was suspended on maybe 4 feet of strings and it started swinging back and forth/. The drone tried to balance it by revving different motors but I landed it fast to prevent a crash! I'll use shorter strings next time.
Jim
WA5TEF

Thanks for your post. Hope you can find approp props! And shorter string will definitely help your bird to stay balanced

Reactions: DanMan32

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic