Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Caution: Don't Use Magnetic Screwdriver

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by globalcop, Jan 11, 2013.

1. globalcop

Just thought I'd share my stupidity in order to prevent anyone else from blowing their compass module. After a few days of troubleshooting I finally realized that the reason why I could never get rid of the Red/Yellow flashing LED was because I had actually put a magnet right up against my compass - the screwdriver I used to assemble the Phantom.

I'm running all over the web now trying to get a new compass module (only about $10) but hard to find so far.

Oh, and "Hi" everyone. Nice to get in on the ground floor of a new forum. Looking forward to sharing and reading.

Ed, Manhattan, KS
    Quadcopter newb

P.S. Purchased my Phantom from DSLRPros.com in L.A.

2. Adam

Thanks for the tip Ed! I do have a few magnetic screwdrivers laying around, better keep them away from the Phantom...

3. tanasit

4. denodan

You won't blow your compass. I magnetic screw driver, is so low it will not harm your compass, but will most likely stop you calibrating you compass and need a magnet to re calibrate.

I used a magnetic screw driver for mine and was fine after I used a magnet to correct it. None of my screw driver are non magnetic, they all seem to get magnetised in time, so what I have done is bought a demagnitzer, as it is a handy part of you tool kit to have, cheap enough to get off ebay.