Phantom 3 standard FAQ

Reaction score
DJI Phantom 3 Standard FAQ update 11/8
Be aware of the following:
1) Monitor the battery to ensure all cells maintain a similar voltage.
2) Do not allow any of the battery cells to drop below 3.3V. (in flight)
3) Consider landing your Phantom when (or before) the first battery
cell reaches 3.4V. I am saying these voltages because in normal fight you may encounter winds and force a high load on motor as it just tries to maintain its own position "not to mention a HURRY home" triggering a low voltage (below 3V)...
4) Your battery will shut off mid-flight if any individual cell voltage drops below 3.0V.
5) You do all this in the battery settings page (quick access just tap your battery info top of DJI GO app.. Rule of thumb... Set your battery to discharge at one day.
6) These are smart batteries... No need to stop till they are 10% just because of bird safety... 0% battery is NOT to low (The smart part is now at cut off limit) to safe your battery..
This is a DJI quote " Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge the battery until there is less than 8% power or until it can no longer be turned on, then recharge it to the maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize the battery life." and also refresh the batteries true mAh as they age...
8) Without this your battery cells Will become unbalanced to a point where one cell will drop below it's volt limit destroying the battery and possible loss of flight !
9)The battery has an auto discharge to storage level... It is suggested not to leave batteries fully charged.. In the app under battery setting you will find this option.. I set mine to 1 day.. If i don't fly by then i recharge on the day i KNOW i will fly. Otherwise it is worry free... Battery (full charge) should never sit idle for long... The chemistry of these batteries are HIGHLY volatile they will react within them selves.... Apply some heat and poof they will swell (boil and release gases) which deforms them and causes internal shorts then BOOM !!... That is why you should bring them to 8% or lower for transport on Public transport.. NO charge... NO reaction... NO BOOM!!! Safety first.
1f642.png
:)

10) Cold weather flyers:
Li-Po batteries are not made to fly below 0 degree C︒ battery performance can be not as good as in a normal temperature 5C︒ to 30C︒
Low temperature flight negative consequences:
1. Shorten flight time
2. Fast voltage drop WATCH OUT !!!!(if your battery drops more than .1 volt per second) It will trigger critical battery warning and force land! You can not cancel this landing!!!!! It is coming DOWN!!!!! (push up on the left stick to compensate for landing drop.. till you can get it home!)

Ways to prevent the issues described up there:
1. Never store packs in cold
2. Start the motors but don’t fly up, let your bird to warm up for a minute.
3. Please keep the aircraft hovering for 30 to 60 seconds before taking further
action.
4. Do not keep the aircraft fully accelerated for long time.
5. Be gentle on a RC sticks
6. Outdoors keep your batteries in thermal insulation box with bag of hot rice
(Uncooked rice warmed up in a microwave keeps temperature very good)
What do the switches on the top of the remote controller do?

These switches are called the S1 and S2 switches.
Right switch...(S1) UP is P mode (Positioning). GPS stable operation mode (keep it here). Middle is Atti mode( attitude mode). No GPS help! YOU control bird fully!! ( it may tend to just hover there by design) but wind will just carry it away unless YOU fly it back (pros only) ... Down is F mode ( functional GPS) or (Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) ) uses GPS but in this mode you can use app flight Functions like follow me, or circle (poi), home lock (useful for newbie) or with apps like litchi much more... Toggling this switch also triggers compass calibration.. toggling it again cancels it.. Will also cancel RTH...

The S2 switch can be used for three things. Resetting WiFi (password) linking the bird to new controller and to trigger Return to Home. When flying, simply toggle this switch up and down several times to tell your Phantom 3 Standard to return to the Home Point and land.

Do they offer a Phantom 3 Standard Range Extender?

Yes and No DJI does not. But there are a Multitude of aftermarket upgrades..

Where can I get the DJI GO app?

The DJI GO app is free to download from the Apple App Store and Google Play*. Search for “DJI GO” and download/install the app as usual.
How do I connect to the DJI GO app?

The Phantom 3 Standard connects to the DJI GO app on your mobile device via its own WiFi network. (This network does not provide the "internet" or "web" So there will be no access to update maps or Stream to Facebook(a cell enabled iPhone can stream Facebook and update maps) and your device will most likely will say "NO Internet Connection" This is normal.. Your WIFI is "in use" by the controller... Your controller has no internet ... Only phantoms that connect Via USB cable can do this... So if you want detailed maps on your device open the DJI go app " with controller off " Click on the map scroll to where you are going to fly(Even if it is on the other side of the world) Zoom in to get detailed map... Shut the app down... The map will be there when you open it again
1f609.png
;) then proceed... First power on your remote controller and Phantom 3 Standard. Then connect your mobile device to the dedicated “PHANTOM 3_XXXXX” WiFi network, and open the DJI GO app. Details can be found in the user manual.

Can I remove the camera and attach my own?

No. The camera that comes with the Phantom 3 Standard is Semi-permanently attached. Attempting to remove, replace, or modify the camera may damage the product and will void your warranty. You can replace (fix) all parts individuality with as of yet only OEM parts... Again if your Bird is under warranty let DJI do it! "Don't remove it thinking you can upgrade. Only remove it if it's out of warranty and you must repair it. The chance of screwing something up is very good!!"

What is the range on my Phantom 3 Standard?

The signal transmission distance will vary depending on environmental conditions and local regulations, but the Phantom 3 Standard can reach distances of up to 0.5 miles (1 kilometer) away from the pilot.(most go further some go less!) to many variables!!

What app should I use with my Phantom 3 Standard?

The Phantom 3 Standard is compatible with the DJI Go app for iOS and Android*, which is also used for other DJI products. Also it is compatible with, DJI+Discover, Litchi, Ultimate Flight V3, Autopilot, Airnest, Hover, and more!! The app will detect which aircraft is connected and automatically adjust accordingly.

Which mobile devices are compatible with the app?

The DJI GO app is only compatible with devices running iOS 8.0 or later or Android v4.1.2 or later. A full list of suggested deceives can be found on the Phantom 3 Standard webpage at DJI.com.

Refer to each app for it's own details..

How do I use the Director automatic video editor?

Director is an automatic video editor built into the DJI GO app. After recording several video clips, simply tap “Library” from the app’s home screen. You can then select your clips and a template, which are automatically combined to create a short film that can be shared immediately.

How do I change the control mode of my Phantom 3 Standard?

By default, the remote controller is set to Mode 2. This means that the right control stick controls the movement of the aircraft and the left control stick controls the throttle and orientation of the aircraft. These controls can be changed to Mode 1 or set to a customized configuration in the DJI GO app. This is only recommended for advanced users.

Can I use a Phantom 2 Intelligent Flight Battery with the Phantom 3 Standard?

No. The Phantom 3 series uses a newly designed Intelligent Flight Battery with greater power. The Phantom 3 has a 4 cell battery with a capacity of 4480 mAh and a voltage of 15.2 V.
Can I use a Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced Intelligent Flight Battery with the Phantom 3 Standard?

Yes, the Phantom 3 series batteries are the same.

My Phantom 3 Standard does not turn off right away, is something wrong?

This is normal. After you attempt to power off the Intelligent Flight Battery, it may remain on for a few seconds as any video data is saved to the Micro SD card. This helps prevent your data from being lost or corrupted. (red light blinks)

Do I have to buy the remote controller separately?

No, there is no need to buy a separate remote controller. Your
Phantom 3 Standard comes with a custom-built remote controller that is already linked to the aircraft.

Does my Phantom 3 Standard support dual Remote Controllers?

No. The included Remote Controller can be used to control both the aircraft and the gimbal tilt at the same time.
What is the Phantom 3 Standard’s maximum flight time?
Flight time will vary depending on environmental conditions and usage patterns, but the Intelligent Flight Battery is designed to provide up to 25 minutes of uninterrupted flight time when fully charged.

How can I restore a video file if the power is turned off during recording?

Do not remove the Micro SD card from the camera. If it has been removed, place it back in the camera. Turn on the Phantom 3 Standard and wait approximately 30 seconds as the video file is restored. (In windows click on "show hidden files")

How can I ensure that my pictures and videos will be synchronized to my iOS album?

You may need to adjust the settings of your mobile device. Open the Settings menu, select the Privacy tab, select the Photos tab, and then toggle the switch next to the DJI GO app icon. If the GO app has not been granted access to your albums, the photos and videos cannot be synchronized.

What should I do to land my Phantom 3 smoothly as possible?

Hover the aircraft over a flat, level surface. Slowly pull the throttle stick down until the aircraft touches the ground.

Why is the number of discharges for the Intelligent Flight Battery not zero, even though I have never used it?

Every Intelligent Flight Battery is tested prior to being packaged and shipped. This affects the discharge time of a new battery and is the reason that the discharge time displayed in the GO app is not zero. The battery is safe to use.

How can I safely operate the aircraft when encountering compass
error?

A compass error may occur when the aircraft is flying close to strong electric magnetic sources (e.g. power transmission lines). The Aircraft Status Indicators will blink red and yellow rapidly when a compass error occurs and the DJI GO app will display one of the following messages:
"Compass error, calibration required
This warning message indicates the aircraft is receiving abnormal compass readings. It is recommended that you power off the aircraft and re-calibrate the compass at a different location and then resume the flight. Compass error, exit P-GPS Mode"

This warning message indicates that the aircraft is drifting severely. Bring the aircraft to a higher altitude to acquire connections with enough GPS satellites when this warning message appears. The flight controller will automatically adjust the orientation of the aircraft in the midair to mitigate the drifts. The aircraft will switch back to P-GPS mode when the automatic adjustment is completed.

Hope this helps Some... Maybe all of us.... This is a conglomeration of everything i have posted to help others on this subject.. It was written for P3S but is informational for all Phantoms..
Thank you for your likes!!
Serenely, Kenneth McNutt

Most of this I most likely got from here.. LOL

Hey Ken i stumbled across your post here in search for a solution to my problem. I posted on other areas of this forum where others have the same issue and unresolved. Thought you might have heard of a fix you could share.

I am getting 2 error messages, "Gimbal Roll error + Gimbal Tilt Error". Two separate error message come up at same time. My RC also turns red for 10 secs then green for 10 sec. No camera dance on startup either and cant find anything on any forum about a fix for it.

Have you heard of this error before and do you know what part is required to fix it? I dont want to just keep buying parts for my Phantom 3 Standard, at some point it is not cost effective but hoping you have something to fix it.

I have already replaced the main ribbon cable, and the firmware is up to date.

Appreciate any input or things to check.
Thanks

Ken one more thing. Do you know if there is a FULL list of DJI Phantom error messages and suggested fixes somewhere. Man that would be nice !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie