Can't find my Phantom 3 on my mobile device

Reaction score
I have everything hooked up right and I have my iPad Mini 2 on the controller but it doesn't recognize the Phantom 3. All I see is the Phantom 4 and some other machines.

Can someone please help? I've been at this for hours now and getting nowhere.

Bud
ps
Perhaps this is just too much for an old man to deal with?

No, it won't be too much to deal with, but there is a learning curve many don't expect, lol! Are you able to enter into "Camera View" anyway? Sometimes when the everything isn't quite connecting together electronically it won't show the option for your drone. Try shutting everything down and restart. If that doesn't work, delete Dji go app from your device and re-download.

Check your cable!
Try a different device.
After 1 year with my P3 I had this problem and the USB module on the Phantom contoller had packed up so maybe yours is faulty?

Thank you, and I did delete it and download it again. The first time it didn't think it downloaded but it downloaded to my iPad 2 instead. I shut it down and tried again and there it was on the Mini 2.

Anyway, I fired them both up, Phantom first, then the controller and it recognized my Phantom 3 Pro. I then saw everything on my desk through the Phantom 3's camera and a bunch of items came on the Mini2 screen that I just didn't have a clue what to do with.

If I knew where to begin at that point, I think I may be able to handle this thing after all. It's just all so confusing to someone that's never flown a device with a video interface such as this.

I don't know where to start, and I can't find the corresponding starting place in the manual to set all this stuff up.

If someone could help me get started I think I'd be ok.

Thanks so much everybody for all your help so far though, I couldn't have got this far without it.

Bud

Thank you, and I did delete it and download it again. The first time it didn't think it downloaded but it downloaded to my iPad 2 instead. I shut it down and tried again and there it was on the Mini 2.

Anyway, I fired them both up, Phantom first, then the controller and it recognized my Phantom 3 Pro. I then saw everything on my desk through the Phantom 3's camera and a bunch of items came on the Mini2 screen that I just didn't have a clue what to do with.

If I knew where to begin at that point, I think I may be able to handle this thing after all. It's just all so confusing to someone that's never flown a device with a video interface such as this.

I don't know where to start, and I can't find the corresponding starting place in the manual to set all this stuff up.

If someone could help me get started I think I'd be ok.

Thanks so much everybody for all your help so far though, I couldn't have got this far without it.

Bud
Are you up & flying now? Or are you still hitting issues at start-up? Does your mini 2 have a screen shot option, To do live recording of what's on your screen? If you can't get figured out try to record what you're seeing. Or maybe just still screen shots, easier to upload here. We'll get ya up & runnin!

Hello Gary;

No, I'm not flying yet and I guess that's because I just don't understand all the stuff that's on the Mini 2 screen. Also I was worried that I haven't upgraded all the firmware. I read somewhere that the Phantom 3 might just fly away without the latest firmware but one gentleman said to just fly it for a while to get used to it and then upgrade it all. Now I'm confused as to, (do I upgrade the firmware, or do I not.) The thing that stumps me most right now is on what device do I download the firmware to so I can upgrade the remote controller, the aircraft and the battery? I just wish I knew someone close to me that could help.

I would be willing to pay someone say, a hundred bucks to help me get started and flying this thing. Right now I'm trying to find if I can charge a battery that's not fully discharged. I charged the flight battery up and put it into the aircraft and ran it down to about 63% just playing with the stuff on the Mini 2 screen.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Bud

Hello Gary;

No, I'm not flying yet and I guess that's because I just don't understand all the stuff that's on the Mini 2 screen. Also I was worried that I haven't upgraded all the firmware. I read somewhere that the Phantom 3 might just fly away without the latest firmware but one gentleman said to just fly it for a while to get used to it and then upgrade it all. Now I'm confused as to, (do I upgrade the firmware, or do I not.) The thing that stumps me most right now is on what device do I download the firmware to so I can upgrade the remote controller, the aircraft and the battery? I just wish I knew someone close to me that could help.

I would be willing to pay someone say, a hundred bucks to help me get started and flying this thing. Right now I'm trying to find if I can charge a battery that's not fully discharged. I charged the flight battery up and put it into the aircraft and ran it down to about 63% just playing with the stuff on the Mini 2 screen.

Bud
Here's a quick start video that might help you.
It's a good idea to read the manual too!
http://download.dji-innovations.com...hantom_3_Professional_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello Gary;

Bud

HI Bud, I'd be more than happy to help for free. Do you by chance live in Northern Illinois?

I wouldn't worry about the firmware right now, personally. I updated mine when I bought it and haven't updated since. I see too many horror stories of a perfectly good drone being screwed up by the new firmware. Get yourself off the ground first and get used to it, and do more research on whether you want to do an upgrade later.

You can charge your batteries from any level of discharge, it doesn't matter. If I were you, if you are planning on doing more checking things out while it's running but not flying, just don't charge your battery yet. Go ahead and do that when you're done tinkering around. What are the messages/things popping up on your screen saying?

Oops!! Too late, I already did the firmware upgrades on the batteries, the remote controller and the aircraft. All seems well and no messages on the app saying that upgrades are required. I've also charged one battery already as it ran down to 63% while I was learning things in the app as was suggested to me the other day.

I'm beginning to get fairly comfortable with it and I'll take her out (as I said earlier) for a short, low flight around the yard.

Thanks for your post, and I appreciate you trying to help. I still need a lot of that for now but I'm pretty sure I'll get there ok.

Bud

Not around the yard unless it is a big open space!!!
Do the compass calibration away from any metal or concrete and don't have a watch or phone near when you do it. Just do it ONCE - no need each flight.
Best advice of all is to just take your time!
MAKE SURE BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED - well over 95 - 97% anyway.
Power up - make sure you get home lock etc and let it sit there a few moments with the motors running.
Full throttle take off to about 20' then jusdt let go of the sticks and let it sit there.
TAKE YOUR TIME:
The Phantom is so stable it just sits in the sky.
Don't rush anything just get a feel for it.
Make sure you have a helper. When it is time to land bring it to about 7' in the air and have your helper reach up and grab a skid. Once they have grabbed the skid just keep the left stick back until the motors stop. Make sure they turn the battery off straight away.
It is all MUCH easier than it sounds.

GOOD LUCK.

Wow, you guys really are tops and the help you offer is so much appreciated. Thank you. Not sure about one thing though. You said "make sure you get home lock etc." I don't know what "home lock" is or where to find it. Is this something found on the Go App? and where do I find it if it is? I haven't come across this yet.

As for "the yard" mine is rather small and I really meant my friend down the street. He has a few acres to fly in.

Thanks so much for the great advice and I really like to part about a helper. That one make a lot of sense.

All the best to you.

Bud

Wow, you guys really are tops and the help you offer is so much appreciated. Thank you. Not sure about one thing though. You said "make sure you get home lock etc." I don't know what "home lock" is or where to find it.
When your Phantom starts up, it usually marks the home point at its current location. You'll see an "H" displayed on the map in DJI GO if the home point has been marked. If the volume is turned up on your mobile device, you'll also hear it announce that the home point has been marked. You should not take off before the home point has been marked.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl