Can you fly with more confidence with Part 107 cert?

Reaction score
Just wondering because once you have it, can you fly with less self consciousness? You can already fly, but once you have this certification, how much more latitude to fly?

Latitude, confidence is subjective. 107 has codified rules.
101 has guidelines.
The least reliable component is the aircraft IMO.
So one should always be weary of failure at any time.

Latitude, confidence is subjective. 107 has codified rules.
101 has guidelines.
The least reliable component is the aircraft IMO.
So one should always be weary of failure at any time.
I just mean in terms of being hassled.

Can't see how that could matter.

How does a bystander know until after an encounter if you are operating under 101 or 107?

Don't expect the average bystander to know the difference anyways.

I don't have it.. (yet), but I'd say no, you'll be under more scrutiny...

Fines with a 107 are higher than say a hobbyist, but that applies to a contractor who is licensed verses a handyman too.

Given that you could lose your license over some infraction, it might make one think more about stepping on some gray area or getting into a confrontation with someone. Personally, I've had too much police interaction and try and stay clear of it if possible. No more neighborhood overflights, etc. Just take it out of town and away from prying eyes and ones who would say "I see a suspicious drone and I'm calling 911."

I feel as though the 107 does help in regards to being more confident flying. With so many grey areas looming as the topic shakes out over the next few years it will help level the playing field for pilots. I see so many people so worried about flying and just leaving when they are confronted. If people in the hobby do not stand up for the laws that they are making about when, where and how we fly then the "norm" will be skewed. People may not like drones because of the stigma tied to them but that does not change the fact that they are legal and within my rights to enjoy. Knowing the 107 guidelines and adhering to them, and defending them, is critical at this juncture. I think they difficult part is courtesy and boundaries. Even though I can legally hover above someones property I am not going to do that, its just disrespectful. I guess what I am saying is that just because it is legal to do something that does not mean you should. On the other side of that just because someone does not like something it does not give them the right to infringe on mine. Knowing that I am within my legal rights to be flying somewhere will allow me to stand my ground when someone else is being irrational.
In the end I think respect is what is important regardless of whether it is legal or not. But respect can be a relative term and that is where when push comes to shove that the law kicks in

Reactions: FlashBuddy
107 only gives you the right to "Commercially" receive $$... flying my drone respectfully is my right period.

107 only gives you the right to "Commercially" receive $$... flying my drone respectfully is my right period.
I agree 100% but it has also taught me those rules so I can utilize them when needed. To many people get away with making people stop flying just because of stigma.

No because it's just a piece of plastic in your wallet. Confidence comes from great flying skills and producing a final product people are willing to pay good $$ for.

No because it's just a piece of plastic in your wallet. Confidence comes from great flying skills and producing a final product people are willing to pay good $$ for.

I think we are talking about two different things, maybe I'm off topic. All I was trying to get across is the fact that because of the 107 I think it makes it much easier for people to have confidence they are not doing anything wrong. I have seen too many people on here that say someone hassled them and they didn't want to cause any issues so they left. I think people feel that way because of how much confusion there is to the topic on all sides. For me the 107 allows me to have something to reference other than the vague laws which exist especially by state in the US

I think we are talking about two different things, maybe I'm off topic. All I was trying to get across is the fact that because of the 107 I think it makes it much easier for people to have confidence they are not doing anything wrong. I have seen too many people on here that say someone hassled them and they didn't want to cause any issues so they left. I think people feel that way because of how much confusion there is to the topic on all sides. For me the 107 allows me to have something to reference other than the vague laws which exist especially by state in the US

But you asked a question and I merely answered. My answer is my answer just as much as your answer is still your answer. It really isn't a debate because I feel how I do and you feel how you do.

The problem is that the majority of people don't have a clue what Part 101 or Part 107 means and they won't care. We have immersed ourselves in this and for those who have not it's all a foreign language. All they know is the crap they've ingested that was hand fed to them by our wonderful media. You'll turn blue in the face trying to convince them otherwise.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl