Can the Phantom 2 Vision do this .....?

Reaction score
Three weeks ago I did not know that the DJI Phantom 2 Vision even existed. Since then I've done a lot of research and watched countless YouTube Videos. I'm amazed that with a flip of a switch that the PV will return and land itself. I'm amazed that if I loose orientation and can't tell on the PV what is the left & the right that I can flip another switch and all is back to normal. I'm also amazed that I'm able to center the transmitter sticks and the PV will hover where I left it and that I'm able to see the current altitude and speed etc on my iPhone during flight.

This brings me to my question. Keep in mind that I ask this as a better way to teach myself to fly the PV without an instructor. I would like to be able to set limits to how far away I would be able to fly the PV. I would also like to set the max & min altitude that I could fly the PV. Think of it as placing a dome over the PV. If I lost control and it exceeded my limits than the PV would stop and hover until I regained control. In the future I could use this feature to allow others to fly my PV without the worry of them crashing.

Could this be done through the NAZA or even through the iPad Flight Controller? Could it be done through a firmware update? Is it a stupid idea?

The Flight Controller on the Phantom has that capability (flight range limits...only max, no minimum), I believe you'll have to put it in NAZA mode to be able to access those settings on the P2V.

This is easily done by tying a string the length you don't want the P2V to go past to the legs. :)
There are no limit settings in NAZA-M v2. When you are flying it with FPV on a phone you can see altitude and distance so you can just keep it within those limits yourself.

I'm in Nazam mode on the P2V and the only limits are for the gains. There is nothing for limits for altitude or distance.
This is available in the Naza-M v2 FCS but not in the version for the P2V.

Naza-M V2

A5 Flight Limits
The flight limits function is default enabled in the NAZA-M Flight control system, it’s aimed to restrict the flying
height and distance of the aircraft. The Max Height restricts the vertical distance between the aircraft and the
Home point, the Max Radius restricts the horizontal distance between the aircraft and the Home point.
The default Max Height is 2000m and Max Radius is 2000m. Users can write the values of the Max Height and Max
Radius in the Assistant software, the range of the Max Height is 10m-100000m, the range of the Max Radius is the
same. So that the aircraft will fly in the entered range, which is a cylinder space above the Home point.

(1) Height Limit works when the control mode is GPS or ATTI. Mode. Radius Limit works when the
control mode is GPS and the satellite number ≥6.
(2) If the aircraft flies out of the limits, it's still controllable except flying further away.
(3) If the control mode is changed to GPS when the aircraft is out of Max Radius, the aircraft will fly
back within the entered range.
(4) The Failsafe and the Ground Station operations are not restricted to the Flight Limits.

OI Photography said:
The Flight Controller on the Phantom has that capability (flight range limits...only max, no minimum), I believe you'll have to put it in NAZA mode to be able to access those settings on the P2V.

Thanks - after reading your reply I went into the NAZA manual and found this:

A5 Flight Limits
The flight limits function is default enabled in the NAZA-M Flight control system, it’s aimed to restrict the flying height and distance of the aircraft. The Max Height restricts the vertical distance between the aircraft and the Home point, the Max Radius restricts the horizontal distance between the aircraft and the Home point.
The default Max Height is 2000m and Max Radius is 2000m. Users can write the values of the Max Height and Max Radius in the Assistant software, the range of the Max Height is 10m-100000m, the range of the Max Radius is the same. So that the aircraft will fly in the entered range, which is a cylinder space above the Home point.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking.

Vision is running a NAZA-M-V2 but is limited either in firmware or hardware to a subset of the full NAZA feature set. So the OP won't be able to restrict themselves as they wish. As a very crude method you could run the transmitter in the lower-powered CE mode which would kick in RTH sooner than with FCC - but when it will do that is dependent on terrain, obstacles, etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor