Can anybody out there make a carbon fiber P3 shell? I want one.

Reaction score
Well to all of you that followed my crack posts thanks for all the input but I have a new P3P coming and like you all suggested I confirmed it was the new version with new motors (many thanks to Phantom Help your knowledge is priceless). I am flying for commercial reasons and can't afford a Inspire right now so I will have to make due with the P3P (I've got no problem with that) it is a very capable machine and I am happy with it photo/video performance, my thing is I don't want to have to worry about the thing falling out of the sky because of manufacturing issues, that's all. I would swap out the shell in a minute if I could get a all carbon fiber shell. DJI you should make it since you already have the molds.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
man i would love to have one of those shells also. Would look cool as hell. But the day phantom will crash, it would be painful to lose a carbon fiber shell.

I think it was determined to be prohibitively expensive. Especially as the body requires all sorts of precision slots/tabs/etc.

Perhaps a CRP shell instead? All my EDC pocket knives are carbon reinforced plastic, and while it's not as light as pure carbon fiber, it's pretty darn strong.

Same stuff the official DJI "carbon" props are made out of.

If you're doing it for looks, just have it wrapped or better yet have it hydrodipped...I've seen the carbon fiber hydro dip and it looks like the real thing
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
IMHO only DJI (or other specialty manufacturing with appropriate tools) can come up with a 100% CF shell that is precise enough for flying the P3. I´m experimenting a lot with it at the moment but I tell you, that´s one tough task. I´m no CF expert or anything but I´ve been molding stuff for some time now and this is another level, at least for me.

If you look inside it´s a hell of job, a seriously sophisticated piece (i.e. extremelly complex with all the reinforcement ribs, recesses, angles, screw beds, etc.) A molded CF shell doesn´t have to be that complex b/c it´s stronger and more rigid. But still, the small tolerances, not to mention the motor bases, make up for a complex part to mold without advanced tooling. At the very least it´ll be time and labor intensive, implying high costs.

For example, if the motor base angle is off by a few minutes it could interfere with the flying to the point of making the AC uncontrollable. Or if the openings are wrong it could cause heat buildup or something. And to make it realy, really strong and rigid and balanced, it would be ideal to use pressing techniques on molding. Even with the potential scale that would cost a lot for anyone but DJI maybe.

IMHO untill DJI comes up with a CF shell (if ever), I believe it´s much simpler, faster and easier to add reinforcements to the inner part of the original shell. Specifically around the lower motor base and arms. In theory only a bit of epoxy on the area would work, but of course a bit of glass or carbon fiber or any other lighweight fabric strategicaly placed would add structural integrity and rigidity to the shell - without adding weight or bulk. That may be needed on really bad shells as some we´ve seen around cracking like eggs.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
IMHO only DJI (or other specialty manufacturing with appropriate tools) can come up with a 100% CF shell that is precise enough for flying the P3. I´m experimenting a lot with it at the moment but I tell you, that´s one tough task. I´m no CF expert or anything but I´ve been molding stuff for some time now and this is another level, at least for me.

If you look inside it´s a hell of job, a seriously sophisticated piece (i.e. extremelly complex with all the reinforcement ribs, recesses, angles, screw beds, etc.) A molded CF shell doesn´t have to be that complex b/c it´s stronger and more rigid. But still, the small tolerances, not to mention the motor bases, make up for a complex part to mold without advanced tooling. At the very least it´ll be time and labor intensive, implying high costs.

For example, if the motor base angle is off by a few minutes it could interfere with the flying to the point of making the AC uncontrollable. Or if the openings are wrong it could cause heat buildup or something. And to make it realy, really strong and rigid and balanced, it would be ideal to use pressing techniques on molding. Even with the potential scale that would cost a lot for anyone but DJI maybe.

IMHO untill DJI comes up with a CF shell (if ever), I believe it´s much simpler, faster and easier to add reinforcements to the inner part of the original shell. Specifically around the lower motor base and arms. In theory only a bit of epoxy on the area would work, but of course a bit of glass or carbon fiber or any other lighweight fabric strategicaly placed would add structural integrity and rigidity to the shell - without adding weight or bulk. That may be needed on really bad shells as some we´ve seen around cracking like eggs.

The plastic shell DJI created is a complex part. I'm working on a partial CF reinforcement for the lower part of the shell. I don't have the design done 100% yet, but when I do I plan to create a prototype to retrofit my P3P. I will share it when done.

The plastic shell DJI created is a complex part. I'm working on a partial CF reinforcement for the lower part of the shell. I don't have the design done 100% yet, but when I do I plan to create a prototype to retrofit my P3P. I will share it when done.
I will look forward to your idea to coming to light we all need it.

just hydro dipp with the carbon fiber film....did that on my inspire.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1447211532.310574.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan