Camera thread sticky

Reaction score
I have removed the lens from the camera only to see if it was easy enough to do before I purchased a set of filters, read a story where the lens broke when being removed.
What I have noticed is the thread is binding and was wondering if there is something I can use to make the lens screw on and off easier without causing other issues.

Yes.
NEVER use ANY oil based lubricants on the threads. In time the oils will evaporate and deposit a thin layer of film (oil) on the lens. What we have used in the film industry is this:
- get a #2 pencil and a white sheet of paper
- get a LOT of pencil lines on the paper
- use a Q-tip (or similar) on the paper till it gets dark from the graphite
- hold the filter DOWN and gently smear the threads with the Q-tip full of graphite
- blow the threads with a photo blower (hand pump) but not all the graphite off
- thread ON and OFF a few times to lube the threads
After that the threads will be smooth.

I have removed the lens from the camera only to see if it was easy enough to do before I purchased a set of filters
For some reason, the UV filter has a sticky feeling to it when screwing it on/off. I've never noticed this with the many filters I've tested. After you pick up some filters, you probably won't find you need to use the UV filter much.

Yes.
NEVER use ANY oil based lubricants on the threads. In time the oils will evaporate and deposit a thin layer of film (oil) on the lens. What we have used in the film industry is this:
- get a #2 pencil and a white sheet of paper
- get a LOT of pencil lines on the paper
- use a Q-tip (or similar) on the paper till it gets dark from the graphite
- hold the filter DOWN and gently smear the threads with the Q-tip full of graphite
- blow the threads with a photo blower (hand pump) but not all the graphite off
- thread ON and OFF a few times to lube the threads
After that the threads will be smooth.
Totally agree. Your source of graphite is smart, I wish it was my idea, good thinking.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl