camera settings for

First, why is your screen so flat? When you first get ready to make your pass or shot you need to get your Histogram right. And if your not doing much post as far as contrast and color grading. I would set your camera on Color Mode NONE. That way it looks prettier on screen while flying for you to see better. It's possible you were in Auto Exposure Mode too. Which could be slighltly overexposing your sand and waves. You can change the EV at the bottom of camera settings menu to a negative EV and that would fix your sand. But a little research on camera settings on Youtube will really help too.
I have looked at many different settings on YouTube/read many articles.. The more I read, the more confused I seem to get as there is no one setting fits all unfortunately. Some are similar, some are totally different..
Setting up the histogram to the centre is what I am trying to focus on whilst also maintaining other settings such as ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc, so often the live view feed is very white/flat and extremely hard to see..
I am continually researching the photography side of things to try and better my understanding, as I have no photography background..Its all fun, I'm sure once I conquer it I will be set.

I have looked at many different settings on YouTube/read many articles.. The more I read, the more confused I seem to get as there is no one setting fits all unfortunately. Some are similar, some are totally different..
Setting up the histogram to the centre is what I am trying to focus on whilst also maintaining other settings such as ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc, so often the live view feed is very white/flat and extremely hard to see..
I am continually researching the photography side of things to try and better my understanding, as I have no photography background..Its all fun, I'm sure once I conquer it I will be set.
It is kind of daunting if you don't know anything about photography and manual settings on a camera. You might just set it on Auto for a while. But yes, your ISO, Aperture, and shutter all effect that Histogram. Each one will change it if your in maual mode. Just play with hovering in front of you and see what's happening as you change each one. What is most important to you? Stills or video? The double your shutter speed compared to your frame rate is mainly for video filming. It keeps video looking buttery smooth like cinema. With stills it's not important to maintain that equation. Just remember to keep ISO as low as possible and still be able to adjust aperture and shutter to get your historgram as close to middle with no big spikes to the dark side or to the bright side.

Last edited:
Reactions: maseman88
To use random extreme examples of the equation above this might be the case:

1/60th shutter + 2.8 Aperture + ISO 100 = a great exposure...just like
1/60th shutter + 11.0 Aperture + ISO 400 = a great exposure

This may be true in that exposure is clean, but wouldn't the higher iso negatively impact the noise on the image being produced?

This may be true in that exposure is clean, but wouldn't the higher iso negatively impact the noise on the image being produced?
A tiny bit from 100 to 400. but not much man. This camera is pretty good up to 800 and even 1600 for night shots sometimes.

This is a strange example, to me anyway, as f2.8 to f11 is four stops so ISO would be ISO 1600 (not 400 as suggested). You would see noise in the 1600 ISO image and at f11 would have some diffraction artifacts also. I'm not sure what the intent of the example was.

As a rule lower ISO when you can get away with it will give cleaner images. Where it gets confusing is longer exposures (probably over 1 second) will give higher noise at lower ISO than increasing the ISO to where a shorter exposure would be possible. It's a balancing act.

This is a strange example, to me anyway, as f2.8 to f11 is four stops so ISO would be ISO 1600 (not 400 as suggested). You would see noise in the 1600 ISO image and at f11 would have some diffraction artifacts also. I'm not sure what the intent of the example was.

As a rule lower ISO when you can get away with it will give cleaner images. Where it gets confusing is longer exposures (probably over 1 second) will give higher noise at lower ISO than increasing the ISO to where a shorter exposure would be possible. It's a balancing act.

Good catch - my mistake. I had originally not had such a big difference to aperture and at the last minute decided to show wide open to fully stopped down and didn't adjust ISO to offset. And the intent of the example was just to show the difference in the exposure triangle and how one fixed item - in this case shutter speed - could work in different lighting conditions by adjusting the other two (only for exposure...)

Good catch - my mistake. I had originally not had such a big difference to aperture and at the last minute decided to show wide open to fully stopped down and didn't adjust ISO to offset. And the intent of the example was just to show the difference in the exposure triangle and how one fixed item - in this case shutter speed - could work in different lighting conditions by adjusting the other two (only for exposure...)
Makes sense now, I had suspected that's what you might have been trying to do. Seems a common mistake. I remember working forwards and backwards counting fingers and relating TV to f stop while trying to recall the reciprocity failure of whatever film I had loaded so I could do long exposures while the people with me expected me to do it for them also. At least now we see the result of our efforts in the preview screen rather than having to wait for the film to come out of the developer tank.

Makes sense now, I had suspected that's what you might have been trying to do. Seems a common mistake. I remember working forwards and backwards counting fingers and relating TV to f stop while trying to recall the reciprocity failure of whatever film I had loaded so I could do long exposures while the people with me expected me to do it for them also. At least now we see the result of our efforts in the preview screen rather than having to wait for the film to come out of the developer tank.

So true! I am at about 20 years behind a camera but about 15 of them have been digital. I am glad I started with film - even for only 5 years or so. Forced you to definitely learn your tools and get it right in camera...or find your mistakes long after the shoot was over. I do enjoy being helpful on these forums and I can that you do as well. My brother and his family are down vacationing and touring through Australia right now for three weeks...they are definitely enjoying your side of the world.

FRAME RATE
So starting out you first decide the frame rate you are going to shoot at. Many people showing things on the web shoot at 30 - people looking for a little more of a cinematic feel shoot at 24 quite regularly. For the best results, pick a frame rate and use it for everything you shoot on a particular project.

Once you know what your project frame rate is going to be, you pick your shutter speed that is most appropriate. If you are shooting at 24, you want a shutter speed that is going to be either 1/48th or 1/50th (depending on the camera you are filming with they do not always have both choices). If you chose 30 FPS (frames per second) you would want to keep your shutter at 1/60th. You will notice that the number in the shutter speed is about double the frame rate.

SHUTTER SPEED
Now we have a frame rate and shutter speed. These two together give us a combination of motion that will look very natural and pleasing to the viewer. If you shutter speed is too slow for the frame rate you will get frames that seem to blur far too much with any movement. If you have a shutter speed that is too fast you will have video that appears to stutter. For example if you are showing footage at 24 frames per second but recording with a shutter at 1/100th you could theoretically take 100 pictures in a second if each from is 1/100th of a second (the camera might not mechanically be able to do it, but the "slices" of the second are 1/100th. And since you are only showing your footage with frames at 24 per second there are technically "gaps" between your frames that become noticeable. The ratio I outlined above works and is the tried and tested method. There are exceptions to this rule - but we are just going to begin with the basic rules.

Now that we have those 2 things determined, there are 2 other items we need to control the look and exposure of our footage. We will be using aperture and ISO to get the right depth of field and light to the camera sensor.

APERTURE
Aperture can have a big impact on the look of our footage. It can determine the relative sharpness for the way our footage feels and it can determine what is in focus and what is intentionally blurry. We have a range of 2.8 to 11 to work with on the P4P lens. Here are the general rules of thumb for when you use one extreme or another:

2.8 - lets light in quicker so use it in lower light settings. Shallow depth of field - use it if you want part of the footage focused and part softer / blurry.
11 - lets light in slower. Use in brighter conditions. Large depth of field - meaning everything will feel more in focus across the whole picture.

ISO
Because ISO acts as our light amplifier, we use it to help make all of our other selections work together to get the right exposure.

For example, lets call this our exposure equation:

Shutter speed + aperture + ISO = Proper Exposure.

We know our shutter speed can not get adjusted because that is based on our FPS of the finished video. If we want a shallow depth of field (2.8 aperture) we need to use a lower ISO because the 2.8 aperture lets light in quickly. If we pick 11 for aperture we might need to raise ISO because 11 lets the light in much slower (and our shutter is still not going to change) so we need to amplify the light to get to the right exposure.

To use random extreme examples of the equation above this might be the case:

1/60th shutter + 5.6 Aperture + ISO 100 = a great exposure...just like
1/60th shutter + 11.0 Aperture + ISO 400 = a great exposure

Take a minute - digest that and let me know if it is making sense. I have been a camera guy for a very long time - just not sure I have ever tried to do a written explanation like this before!

These article is correct. Only be careful with f11 because in this aperture you have diffraction and the image quality will be diminished. I will recommend f8 at max value.

But always have a doubt, because 4k 30fps h265 is the best setting for IQ, but a shutter speed of 1/60 (the correct for these setting) might be blurry for some scenarios with lots of motion, and 4k 60fps (with 1/120) is not the way because P4P loses quality on this setting...

Which shutter speed are the max admitted for 30fps without gaps or jello? 1/60 seems blurry in high motion, and 1/120 is too much!

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka