camera settings for

Reaction score
I am a proud owner of one of these amazing birds. I came up from a phantom 2 with the Rotorpixel gimbal. There is obviously a huge learning curve with the camera settings.

I will be flying out to Paso Robles California next week and I was asked to film the winery at which I work.

I was hoping for some recommendations on some of the features on the camera that would get me some great footage. I will be assuming sunshine.

I would really love to see a tutorial with this camera and how to manipulate the settings for the best shot.

aperture, iso and focal length are on my agenda to learn this holiday season...

thank you in advance

I can give you a hand with some of the basics, and as you learn more, answer specific advanced questions as well. First, are you primarily shooting video footage or stills? Your post above makes it sounds like video footage - just want to confirm that. Then, how much do you know about the topics you listed? From there I'll get you started.

fantastic! I'll be doing both stills and video. I realize that the automatic settings might just give me ordinary footage. Daytime shots with ISO of 100 f/16 @1/100 would be my starting point?. From there being able to adjust the settings on the go would be what I'm looking to learn. I appreciate your guidance for some basic settings I can work with.

Reactions: lone droner
OK. First of all the P4 Pro has a fixed 24mm lens with an aperture range of 2.8 - 11. That takes worrying about focal length out of the equation because it can not be changed.

Aperture - determines how the lens adjusts to let light in and also effects depth of field (think blurry background or focused background as a way to remember that one).

ISO - think of this as a light amplifier and also the item that creates "noise" in your footage.

Frame Rate - how many frames per second you will be playing back on your finished video.

Shutter Speed - how long the shutter is open for each frame recording...this gets set as a multiple of your frame rate

Are you familiar enough with these concepts (rough definitions) for me to explain why you will pick certain settings for each one?

Reactions: Neon Euc
Also check out tom's tech time on youtube as he does camera settings for the phantom and it's very in depth too

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Great idea...there really are a lot of great resources out there and this is something you can spend a lot of time getting very good at.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I have a pretty good idea what you mean. I just see a lot of different settings that I will have to eventually learn: color/truecolor,d-cinelike. endcoding .264 or .265? Should I be filming at 24fps or 30? this will most likely be used as marketing material for the winery.

FRAME RATE
So starting out you first decide the frame rate you are going to shoot at. Many people showing things on the web shoot at 30 - people looking for a little more of a cinematic feel shoot at 24 quite regularly. For the best results, pick a frame rate and use it for everything you shoot on a particular project.

Once you know what your project frame rate is going to be, you pick your shutter speed that is most appropriate. If you are shooting at 24, you want a shutter speed that is going to be either 1/48th or 1/50th (depending on the camera you are filming with they do not always have both choices). If you chose 30 FPS (frames per second) you would want to keep your shutter at 1/60th. You will notice that the number in the shutter speed is about double the frame rate.

SHUTTER SPEED
Now we have a frame rate and shutter speed. These two together give us a combination of motion that will look very natural and pleasing to the viewer. If you shutter speed is too slow for the frame rate you will get frames that seem to blur far too much with any movement. If you have a shutter speed that is too fast you will have video that appears to stutter. For example if you are showing footage at 24 frames per second but recording with a shutter at 1/100th you could theoretically take 100 pictures in a second if each from is 1/100th of a second (the camera might not mechanically be able to do it, but the "slices" of the second are 1/100th. And since you are only showing your footage with frames at 24 per second there are technically "gaps" between your frames that become noticeable. The ratio I outlined above works and is the tried and tested method. There are exceptions to this rule - but we are just going to begin with the basic rules.

Now that we have those 2 things determined, there are 2 other items we need to control the look and exposure of our footage. We will be using aperture and ISO to get the right depth of field and light to the camera sensor.

APERTURE
Aperture can have a big impact on the look of our footage. It can determine the relative sharpness for the way our footage feels and it can determine what is in focus and what is intentionally blurry. We have a range of 2.8 to 11 to work with on the P4P lens. Here are the general rules of thumb for when you use one extreme or another:

2.8 - lets light in quicker so use it in lower light settings. Shallow depth of field - use it if you want part of the footage focused and part softer / blurry.
11 - lets light in slower. Use in brighter conditions. Large depth of field - meaning everything will feel more in focus across the whole picture.

ISO
Because ISO acts as our light amplifier, we use it to help make all of our other selections work together to get the right exposure.

For example, lets call this our exposure equation:

Shutter speed + aperture + ISO = Proper Exposure.

We know our shutter speed can not get adjusted because that is based on our FPS of the finished video. If we want a shallow depth of field (2.8 aperture) we need to use a lower ISO because the 2.8 aperture lets light in quickly. If we pick 11 for aperture we might need to raise ISO because 11 lets the light in much slower (and our shutter is still not going to change) so we need to amplify the light to get to the right exposure.

To use random extreme examples of the equation above this might be the case:

1/60th shutter + 5.6 Aperture + ISO 100 = a great exposure...just like
1/60th shutter + 11.0 Aperture + ISO 400 = a great exposure

Take a minute - digest that and let me know if it is making sense. I have been a camera guy for a very long time - just not sure I have ever tried to do a written explanation like this before!

Last edited:
FRAME RATE
So starting out you first decide the frame rate you are going to shoot at. Many people showing things on the web shoot at 30 - people looking for a little more of a cinematic feel shoot at 24 quite regularly. For the best results, pick a frame rate and use it for everything you shoot on a particular project.

Once you know what your project frame rate is going to be, you pick your shutter speed that is most appropriate. If you are shooting at 24, you want a shutter speed that is going to be either 1/48th or 1/50th (depending on the camera you are filming with they do not always have both choices). If you chose 30 FPS (frames per second) you would want to keep your shutter at 1/60th. You will notice that the number in the shutter speed is about double the frame rate.

SHUTTER SPEED
Now we have a frame rate and shutter speed. These two together give us a combination of motion that will look very natural and pleasing to the viewer. If you shutter speed is too slow for the frame rate you will get frames that seem to blur far too much with any movement. If you have a shutter speed that is too fast you will have video that appears to stutter. For example if you are showing footage at 24 frames per second but recording with a shutter at 1/100th you could theoretically take 100 pictures in a second if each from is 1/100th of a second (the camera might not mechanically be able to do it, but the "slices" of the second are 1/100th. And since you are only showing your footage with frames at 24 per second there are technically "gaps" between your frames that become noticeable. The ratio I outlined above works and is the tried and tested method. There are exceptions to this rule - but we are just going to begin with the basic rules.

Now that we have those 2 things determined, there are 2 other items we need to control the look and exposure of our footage. We will be using aperture and ISO to get the right depth of field and light to the camera sensor.

APERTURE
Aperture can have a big impact on the look of our footage. It can determine the relative sharpness for the way our footage feels and it can determine what is in focus and what is intentionally blurry. We have a range of 2.8 to 11 to work with on the P4P lens. Here are the general rules of thumb for when you use one extreme or another:

2.8 - lets light in quicker so use it in lower light settings. Shallow depth of field - use it if you want part of the footage focused and part softer / blurry.
11 - lets light in slower. Use in brighter conditions. Large depth of field - meaning everything will feel more in focus across the whole picture.

ISO
Because ISO acts as our light amplifier, we use it to help make all of our other selections work together to get the right exposure.

For example, lets call this our exposure equation:

Shutter speed + aperture + ISO = Proper Exposure.

We know our shutter speed can not get adjusted because that is based on our FPS of the finished video. If we want a shallow depth of field (2.8 aperture) we need to use a lower ISO because the 2.8 aperture lets light in quickly. If we pick 11 for aperture we might need to raise ISO because 11 lets the light in much slower (and our shutter is still not going to change) so we need to amplify the light to get to the right exposure.

To use random extreme examples of the equation above this might be the case:

1/60th shutter + 2.8 Aperture + ISO 100 = a great exposure...just like
1/60th shutter + 11.0 Aperture + ISO 400 = a great exposure

Take a minute - digest that and let me know if it is making sense. I have been a camera guy for a very long time - just not sure I have ever tried to do a written explanation like this before!
The aperture probably won't have a dramatic impact on the DOF, when focussed at 13m distance everything from just over 6m to infinity will seem acceptably sharp (28mm effective focal length for 35mm frame illuminating a 1"sensor). The variable aperture will be more useful for lowering shutter speed. I would caution against smaller apertures given the photosite density (20mp on a 1" sensor). Diffraction limit for acceptable sharpness is probably somewhere below f5.6, there is a trade off to be mindful of in this regard.

Also, for TV of 1/60 at f2.8 @ ISO 100 changing the aperture to f11 would require an ISO of 1600 (not 400 as you suggested) to maintain TV and EV.

Last edited:
With the Birds: I completely agree. The OP seemed fairly new to these discussions so I was planning to save HyperFocal calculation for a later post....haha. Probably when I introduce ND filters. It is nice to talk with someone else who is a camera guy!

The aperture probably won't have a dramatic impact on the DOF, when focussed at 13m distance everything from just over 6m to infinity will seem acceptably sharp (28mm effective focal length for 35mm frame illuminating a 1"sensor). The variable aperture will be more useful for lowering shutter speed. I would caution against smaller apertures given the photosite density (20mp on a 1" sensor). Diffraction limit for acceptable sharpness is probably somewhere below f5.6, there is a trade off to be mindful of in this regard.
Very good tip here man! Appreciate the share for sure! What exactly is diffraction and what is causing it basically?

With the Birds: I completely agree. The OP seemed fairly new to these discussions so I was planning to save HyperFocal calculation for a later post....haha. Probably when I introduce ND filters. It is nice to talk with someone else who is a camera guy!
Very cool of you guys to help out the OP here btw! Just giving big kudos for the sharing! Portrait studio here for over 30 years btw. Loving this new camera on this new P4P. Just experimenting and getting use to having to focus on some shots.

Very good tip here man! Appreciate the share for sure! What exactly is diffraction and what is causing it basically?
Google "airy disk". The subject experts can explain it far better than I might try. I learnt about it the hard way when sensors reached the current high megapixel density. You need to trade off dof for sharpness making image stacking an unfortunate required addition to my landscape workflow in recent times.

Very cool of you guys to help out the OP here btw! Just giving big kudos for the sharing! Portrait studio here for over 30 years btw. Loving this new camera on this new P4P. Just experimenting and getting use to having to focus on some shots.

Thanks...it great to see people develop their camera skills and techniques. Where is your studio?

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Thanks...it great to see people develop their camera skills and techniques. Where is your studio?
I am in Southern Indiana. And I agree. It's freaking cool as heck how intricate settings are on this app and camera. Lot to consider for the average bear to be honest. But it makes you learn man!

Yeah - DJI has made such huge advances over the past several years. We stock most of the products and things like the DJI Focus that hooks into your Inspire or M600 remote control and gives you a wireless follow focus from up to 3 miles away is just incredible. Their RAW video recording is so small and light for what it does. Getting 4K RAW or even 5.2K RAW with the Inspire 2 is unbelievable.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
fantastic advice! it gets me up and putting together a project with short notice. Thank you so much for putting this into a framework to learn from!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl