Calibrating Remote Control Question

Reaction score
Quick question. When I go to calibrate my remote and do the whole swirl of the sticks when I am done I never get a 0 reading on the sticks. They are always 0-30 or so. Then I click done and they do reset to 0. Then if I try to re-calibrate again it does the same and starts at non-zero. Is that normal?

I feel that when I fly and let go of the remote the quad sways a bit in a hover. It is not horrible, but when I first got the quad it was much more stable. Maybe that was phantom mode as opposed to Naza mode. Or was that just with an older firmware? I am currently running 3.04
Thanks for any advice

Sounds normal to me, mine do the same.

With the calibration, you are setting the limits, then the controller calculates the centre point.

Then why do I get the slight drift? Is that just a known issue? If I do a return to home and let go the quad is perfectly steady. Not the same for when I am flying it.

Slight drift is ambigous.

There is GPS error which may vary from time to time as well as wind.

BTW... Delray Beach, Fl?

Did you only calibrate in the Phantom assistant, or did you also connect the controller to the RC assistant to calibrate there as well?

Best practice is to calibrate the controller first in RC Assistant, then calibrate the stick input in Phantom Assistant.

delrayfly said:
Yes I do the RC first then move to the Phantom Assist.

Ok good, then I also suspect your drifting may be within expected ranges. The behavior of the stick sliders during calibration that you described is normal, so I don't think it's a control input issue.

Different versions of firmware can impact flight characteristics as they might adjust default gain levels and such, but there's other factors that can be at play. Did you may any other changes to the Phantom recently?

I added FPV so that maybe altered weight etc. But I really had the issue before that. Just strange that when I do Return to Home it is very steady. I was thinking of trying it in Phantom mode (as opposed to Naza) to see if the control was better.

Appreciate the responses...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl