Brutal beginning

Here's a link to the DJI support videos for the Phantom 3 series. It'll give you something to do on your down time but do as Msinger is instructing you to do now.:)

Jerry

Thanks Oso. I must be a complete moron, but, ...How do I put this tiny little SD card "in my computer and delete the file"? Are you saying I need to go out and buy a piece of hardware to do such? Again, I may be missing something.
You're welcome sir.
You are not a complete moron, just a bit flustered. Since you are an IT professional, this is all easy for you. It's just that you don't yet realize it's easy for you and you may be thinking it's harder than it really is. Soon you will look back at today and laugh at yourself. Don't worry!

You said that you updated the FW, so we assumed that you updated both the AC and the RC. Perhaps you only updated the RC? Did you also update the AC using the link in the tips I sent to you earlier? If you did not do this, then you probably will not have the .bin file on your SD unless DJI left one there during their refurb process. Do you have a MicroSD (little tiny SD card) adapter or a way to connect the gimbal to your computer? If so, just look to see if the .bin file is there.

Interesting too that both you and another say it's okay to leave the .bin file there, another person says specifically that leaving it there will cause the "RC Connection Lost" error. Grrrrrr :)
As with any internet forum, you will get an assortment of opinions that you need to use as data points when making your own decision. An IT pro such as yourself will quickly be able to discern the good data from the noise. You will soon realize that the .bin file can either be there or not and it makes very little difference. Many people leave it there on the card only as long as it takes to cycle through all of their batteries whenever a new battery FW is included in an update. When they are done with their batteries, they remove the .bin file. Others just leave the .bin file there all of the time. Like I said before, it's a personal choice that should make no difference in your current situation.

App Version is 3.1.0
Remote Controller version is 1.8.0
AC? Aircraft?? I don't know - how do I find out.
I have an iPhone 6S Plus running 10.1.1
In the GO app, there is a screen at "General Settings" --> "About". If your RC is connected to the AC, you can normally see the FW versions of your RC (remote) and AC (aircraft) on that screen. If you've created a mismatched encryption by changing FW on one but not the other, I'm not really sure if you will be able to see that information or not. I have seen people reporting varying levels of connectivity when they have inadvertently created a mismatch, so I don't know for sure what breaks and what doesn't. You can take a look. Hopefully the data shows and we can stop guessing if you have a mismatch or not. Knowing the versions will help significantly with diagnosing your issue and recommending steps to resolve the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Numone and Jtrjr
Sounds like I need to go buy a mini-SD reader too as per HWCM?
It's not required, but it'll make it easier to copy files to/from your memory card. If your computer does not have a memory card slot, then you'll need a memory card reader like this one.

Reactions: Reed L and jpilk99
Just git my refurbished P3A from dji and did nothing but charge battery and go fly. I've heard so many stories about people having trouble with firmware when it asked me if I wanted to upgrade it I said no and I'm glad. Don't see a need to upgrade my firmware unless I'm having problems and I haven't so far.

Sent from my SM-G920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'll agree with it can all be overwhelming. Amazon sells a fast 32g micro usb card that comes with a usb 3.0 card reader for cheap ($14).

Follow the instructions here to downgrade your remote controller firmware. Then, install the firmware exactly like this.
Hi Msinger.

I watched the video on "downgrading rollback Firmware on a DJI Phantom 3, Inspire" you sent me the link to, and when I hold the box in the upper right hand corner of the Go app, it says... Please see picture. It seems there's no firmware on the drone?

I assume I should "download"?

Attachments

• IMG_3232.PNG
    IMG_3232.PNG
    104.2 KB · Views: 267
Just git my refurbished P3A from dji and did nothing but charge battery and go fly. I've heard so many stories about people having trouble with firmware when it asked me if I wanted to upgrade it I said no and I'm glad. Don't see a need to upgrade my firmware unless I'm having problems and I haven't so far.

Sent from my SM-G920P using PhantomPilots mobile app
You are a clever man sir. I did update to new dji go 3.0.1. And now it can't connect to any of my devices..... i didnt had to update.the thing was flying without any issues

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's not required, but it'll make it easier to copy files to/from your memory card. If your computer does not have a memory card slot, then you'll need a memory card reader like this one.

I bought a SanDisk 64Gb micro disk and inserted it in the drone. Bought the laptop adapter too.

Just went through the first step of downgrading the FW on my remote from 1.8.0 to 1.6.0. Now about to attempt the HOW TO: Install Phantom 3 firmware...

How did everything work out?

How did everything work out?
I am humbled - and HUGELY thankful. It seems that there is a bright light at end of the tunnel. After the firmware upgrade to both the drone and remote, they linked and there was a message in the Go app that said something to the effect of "Vision - ready to go". So, I feel I'm in a LOT better shape.

Still going through the final steps - first being the IMU calibration. Just put my drone outside in the cold as the video explains.

I'll let you know when I'm all done.

Reactions: Reed L and Jtrjr
I am humbled - and HUGELY thankful. It seems that there is a bright light at end of the tunnel. After the firmware upgrade to both the drone and remote, they linked and there was a message in the Go app that said something to the effect of "Vision - ready to go". So, I feel I'm in a LOT better shape.

Still going through the final steps - first being the IMU calibration. Just put my drone outside in the cold as the video explains.

I'll let you know when I'm all done.
Thank you, and everyone else here, again, for helping me. Strange it took so much effort, but, I'm thrilled to be what seems like close to being ready to enjoy my drone.

Thank you!

Reactions: Jtrjr
Msinger. I ran into an issue on step 47, when I went to "Calbrate IMU", the video doesn't match up with my setup. The speaker on the video shows/tells me to:

1. Get the Pilot app open (I open DJI Go App)
  2. Click on Camera (I do)
  3. ...then he says click on "Mode". I don't see that on my "Go" app. But, I see that he has the icon with the overhead view of the drone, quad propellers, and I evenutally get into "Aircraft Status". In there, I see "Flight mode" with the same icon, but, I can't "go into" it to do anything. I see "Compass" with an option to "Calibrate", and then I see "IMU" and it says "Normal", and no option to Calibrate it.

Can you help me out here on what I'm supposed to do? Thank you infinitely!

Jay

That video is demonstrating how to calibrate the IMU in an old version of DJI GO (previously named "DJI Pilot"). I still link to it since he provides a lot of useful information prior to showing how to calibrate the IMU.

In the current version of DJI GO, go to "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "Sensors". You'll see the option to "Calibrate IMU" there.

Reactions: jpilk99
Jay,

Just buy a larger and better SD card with the adapter included. Something like this one.

Jerry

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-micr...9669293&sr=8-4&keywords=sandisk+32+gb+sd+card
Actually that link doesn't provide a reader, it just provides a full size SD Card adapter that will serve no purpose if you don't have an SD drive on your pc or laptop. A USB card reader like Msinger's link is best. Buy a couple and keep one in your Phantom backpack at all times. This way you can use it anytime, anywhere. Plus it makes it easy to transfer all types of files, pictures, videos, etc. to any pc with a USB port :)
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009D79VH4/ph079-20

Hi Msinger.

I watched the video on "downgrading rollback Firmware on a DJI Phantom 3, Inspire" you sent me the link to, and when I hold the box in the upper right hand corner of the Go app, it says... Please see picture. It seems there's no firmware on the drone?

I assume I should "download"?
Actually it looks like the remote controller wasn't linked to the ac or phantom yet. And then you figured that out yourself :) Nice job :)

Thank you, and everyone else here, again, for helping me. Strange it took so much effort, but, I'm thrilled to be what seems like close to being ready to enjoy my drone.

Thank you!

You don't need to calibrate the IMU straight out of the box. Take it out now that you have the rc linked to the ac and fly it. Then if you need to, you can calibtate the IMU. I've had mine for over a year now and never had to calibrate the IMU or update either for that matter. Lots of people here say you need to do things, when just charging the batteries, putting on the props and flying it straight out of the box has worked perfectly for many of us :)

Reactions: Digdat0
To Format my Micro Cards. I take it out of the Drone and place it into any of my Cameras. I use the same procedure 1st downloading all the pictures to my Home Computer. Then I use the same camera to format the Micro SD Card, and then put in back in my Drone- gosports Let her fly

To Format my Micro Cards. I take it out of the Drone and place it into any of my Cameras. I use the same procedure 1st downloading all the pictures to my Home Computer. Then I use the same camera to format the Micro SD Card, and then put in back in my Drone- gosports Let her fly
Why go through all that. You can format the SD card while it's in the camera on the quad. You do it through the app. I believe this is the preferred method per DJI.?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jpilk99 and Reed L
Why go through all that. You can format the SD card while it's in the camera on the quad. You do it through the app. I believe this is the preferred method per DJI.?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yep, if you don't format it in the app, you might get some artifacts that will limit the available space on the SD.

Reactions: jpilk99

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart