BREAKING!!! U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

I hate to say it but you would have to be blind & deaf to not know that the media is controlled by the government from local on up to federal. I did a quick search on one subject the government is always trying to hide. Here are just a few of thousands of links...

Gulf Oil Spill: Media Access 'Slowly Being Strangled Off'

Update: Is there a media blackout on the fracking flood disaster in Colorado?

Remove the Media Blackout and no Fly Zone arround the Arkansas Oil Spill, Protect the Earth not BIG OIL ! | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

The Alberta Oil Spill the Media Isn’t Covering
An article from a blogger? A petition? and I believe the other two links claim "Big Oil" controls the media.
Before we stray any further from the topic, I'll say with all due respect, this is something I don't agree with. Here in my world, it is Big Pharmacy that controls the government, unless of course it more suitable and fitting to the argument to claim that Big Insurance controls the government.
I've also been called blind, deaf and stupid for not following those beliefs too.

An article from a blogger? A petition? and I believe the other two links claim "Big Oil" controls the media.
Before we stray any further from the topic, I'll say with all due respect, this is something I don't agree with. Here in my world, it is Big Pharmacy that controls the government, unless of course it more suitable and fitting to the argument to claim that Big Insurance controls the government.
I've also been called blind, deaf and stupid for not following those beliefs too.
OK, so lets simplify it (is that possible :confused:) Lobbyist & money control everything. Better. :)
Look how Uber used lobbyist to change California & New Yorks minds.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
DontPanic.jpg

All the DOT said is that they are going to study it. We're years from seeing any new rules based on one study that hasn't even started yet.

Noone seems to be in panic mode.
However, I can certainly understand people at this forum would be rightfully interested and concerned.

All the DOJ said is that they are going to study it. We're years from seeing any new rules based on one study that hasn't even started yet.

I can't find a reference to the DOJ, only the DOT. Can you post a link to the Department of Justice's involvement?

Fortune has the same article but expressing a bit more urgency on the part of the government.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...C7g0W65dt0pTa4LXj72bbsYvmjmKrgkZJzZ9t0WoNHytA

Just going by the press releases so far, it seems to be a bit more urgent than usual.
But then it's the media.
Supposedly an announcement will be made Monday, so we'll all know by Monday if there's cause to "Panic"

I'm just wondering if all these un-verified reports of near misses and all the media hype over the last few months were somehow leading up to this announcement? Paranoia? Maybe. We'll see.
Seems you hear "registration" a lot lately from DC.

DOT, DOJ - slip of the finger...
I often mix FAA and FCC, but I've never accidentally typed FAA.

The reports I saw said that on Monday the formation of a Task Force to study the feasibility of registering drones would be announced.
There is no way they can have a rulemaking process opened for comment and finalized in less than a year. It would be pretty hard to justify an emergency order because an immediate threat to life has to be present. Like when a jammed jackscrew in the elevator trim on an Aeromexico 737 caused a crash. The FAA issued an emergency Airworthiness Directive requiring all Boeing 737's be taken out of service until the problem was resolved. In another case the 777 Dreamliners were all grounded for a few days after a Lithium-Ion fire in an aircraft on the ground at Boston.

Where's the blood and mayhem to justify the perception that small personal drones are a threat to public safety?

DOT, DOJ - slip of the finger...
I often mix FAA and FCC, but I've never accidentally typed FAA.

The reports I saw said that on Monday the formation of a Task Force to study the feasibility of registering drones would be announced.
There is no way they can have a rulemaking process opened for comment and finalized in less than a year. It would be pretty hard to justify an emergency order because an immediate threat to life has to be present. Like when a jammed jackscrew in the elevator trim on an Aeromexico 737 caused a crash. The FAA issued an emergency Airworthiness Directive requiring all Boeing 737's be taken out of service until the problem was resolved. In another case the 777 Dreamliners were all grounded for a few days after a Lithium-Ion fire in an aircraft on the ground at Boston.

Where's the blood and mayhem to justify the perception that small personal drones are a threat to public safety?

Exactly. There is none. Only a very few incidents here and there mixed with lots of unsubstantiated reports.

No worries. Kinda glad to hear the DOJ is not involved at this point. Yes, it seems unlikely that anything could be done quickly. But if what they want to accomplish right now is only to require a registration and create a databse, I'm not so sure that would be so difficult. Especially if it was on a voluntary basis.
No doubt there are many who would line up to register. I'm not one of them.

We'll possibly know more Monday.

DontPanic.jpg

All the DOT said is that they are going to study it. We're years from seeing any new rules based on one study that hasn't even started yet.

blank stare.png

Dang Steve..ya used a meme..First time I've seen ya do that ! :)

Reactions: jcknows0
I swear if the Feds start a drone registration I'll do something drastic! They'll be sorry.....I'll I'll I'll vote for Hillary! I will...you'll see! Then you'll have to look at her reptilian face for 4 years!!! :p

I disagree. I think we are facing this type of control as direct result of drone pilots flying stupid.
Hobbyists have been flying RC aircraft for years and the government has never looked at us twice. We've been strapping cameras to fixed wing RC aircraft for a couple of decades, and nobody has complained. But now we have these RC aircraft with precise control, that can hover in one spot, are equipped with cameras that allow us to fly far higher and further than we ever could before (BLOS). Now add a bunch of pilots who think they are entitled to fly anywhere they want at any time they want with impunity. The public didn't like what they were seeing and the complaints have been loud. I've never had to register any of the fixed wing aircraft I fly because they have never been flown by hobbyists in the same manner that drones have been flown.
I stand by my original statement.

No insult intended but you were few and far between and stayed on AMA grounds for the most part due to danger and so forth.

I think if you had over a million new copter pilots with HD cameras new to flying the EXACT same thing would happen.
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately we are all not the same nor think alike.

Look at other countries that enacted rules long ago "before" we bad drone flyers acted up and made them hate us(supposedly)

Public is being manipulated by media and government mostly. Think about the altitude and range some of the "sighting's" claim to be at.

maybe there is another group flying bigger ,faster, and less publicized drones that can actually be seen as claimed . IE your friendly government maybe.

My P2s are hard as hec to see out at 500 m and 120 m alt and I am watching it standing on the ground and not moving at 2 or 300 miles per hour

Ok, lets just close the thread before it becomes another vehicle for this individual's political ranting?

You seem , with all due respect, fond of making determinations for others as to what is proper flying , when enough of anothers differing viewpoint has been heard, commands as to when to close a thread, who flys sufficiently OK , etc and etc.
As I used to ask my kids before they actually did get smarter than I, Who died and made you the boss?
we and others disagree with some of your thoughts, just for fun, think about what if we/they are correct.

If half the people who have seen me fly my P3P and told me they want to get a "drone" actually do, there's going to be one heck of a lot of drones flying around soon. Most of these people think they are a "toy." If nothing else, registration sends the message they aren't a "toy." If that keeps many people from getting one and doing stupid things, it'll be a plus. Paying a fee isn't something any of us like, but it's the reality of living in an increasingly crowded and broken world.

--zigs

How is "registering" a drone purchase is going to do anything to stop, deter, or help catch anyone flying a drone in an unsafe manner? Any serial number can be removed before flight, assuming a serial number would survive a crash, and was registered to a specific person. When the bird is in the air, serial numbers cannot be determined from the gound. With a stock unmodded range of 1.2 to 2.8 miles for the P3P, any pilot who wishes to conceal their location during flight can easily do so. Assuming the pilot hasn't already left the area, are they going to do a house to house search within a 3 mile range of every sighting, looking for a registered owner pilot, and hoping for a confession? Bring it on! :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Fourprops
Its the few that will create the problems for the many.. A public threat, Hmm This didn't help the community.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Its the few that will create the problems for the many.. A public threat, Hmm This didn't help the community.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Good thing the drone was registered, even if the gun wasn't! :rolleyes:
Hey, it was just proof of concept.
It's not like he's selling them on eBay, yet!:eek:
So glad his college professor helped him with the design!
Mentorship at its finest!:oops:
Kid's father must be so proud!

Why are people so afraid of registration? We register a LOT of things... cars, water craft, trailers, guns etc. etc. etc. Do you register any of those things? Does that make you a sheep?

As far as I am concerned, I fly responsibly - so make me register if you want to... you are not going to find my Phantom sucked into the engine of a Jet or breaking through the windshield of a jet - because I don't fly irresponsibly.

...And aren't you sort of reinforcing the point people here are trying to make with this post? If you fly responsibly, like the VAST majority of Phantom owners, why in the hell SHOULD you have to register your quad? This is the equivalent of saying that because knives are used by a minority of people to commit murder, everyone has to register the contents of their utensil drawers.

The FAA/DOT absolutely knows that in the extraordinarily unlikely event that a quad was to collide with an aircraft, the quad would completely destroyed and the aircraft would likely be no worse for the wear. Ducks/geese weigh more than a Phantom for Pete's sake and there is no mass freak out on that front. I guess maybe farmers/zoos that own ducks should register them too?

This push to regulate is for two reasons, and these reasons alone:

1. To placate the tinfoil hat-wearing members of society that believe your average consumer drone runs silently and has X-ray capabilities that could spy on them violating sheep in their basements/garages, and

2. Tax revenue

More bloated government bulls#*t intended to squeeze the citizenry out of more of their cash, while posing as "protecting the public".

...And aren't you sort of reinforcing the point people here are trying to make with this post? If you fly responsibly, like the VAST majority of Phantom owners, why in the hell SHOULD you have to register your quad? This is the equivalent of saying that because knives are used by a minority of people to commit murder, everyone has to register the contents of their utensil drawers.

The FAA/DOT absolutely knows that in the extraordinarily unlikely event that a quad was to collide with an aircraft, the quad would completely destroyed and the aircraft would likely be no worse for the wear. Ducks/geese weigh more than a Phantom for Pete's sake and there is no mass freak out on that front. I guess maybe farmers/zoos that own ducks should register them too?

This push to regulate is for two reasons, and these reasons alone:

1. To placate the tinfoil hat-wearing members of society that believe your average consumer drone runs silently and has X-ray capabilities that could spy on them violating sheep in their basements/garages, and

2. Tax revenue

More bloated government bulls#*t intended to squeeze the citizenry out of more of their cash, while posing as "protecting the public".

I think what I am saying is, considering all the outcomes that could be legislated - registration is the least disruptive to our hobby. I would much prefer registration than more banning or more laws regulating where we can fly. I just happen to see registration as a lessor of many possible evils. I agree with the posters who don't want to shell out more dollars in taxes or fees - but again, if that's ALL we have to do and the government can say "hey we did something" - and we can still basically fly where we want. Then yeah... I am fine with registering.

I think what I am saying is, considering all the outcomes that could be legislated - registration is the least disruptive to our hobby. I would much prefer registration than more banning or more laws regulating where we can fly. I just happen to see registration as a lessor of many possible evils. I agree with the posters who don't want to shell out more dollars in taxes or fees - but again, if that's ALL we have to do and the government can say "hey we did something" - and we can still basically fly where we want. Then yeah... I am fine with registering.
Registration is the first step to confiscation.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen