BREAKING!!! U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

Registration is the first step to confiscation.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If you have done something wrong. And then... you probably deserve it.

I have never had my car or boat or trailer or jetski's confiscated... then again... I use them responsibly

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I think what I am saying is, considering all the outcomes that could be legislated - registration is the least disruptive to our hobby. I would much prefer registration than more banning or more laws regulating where we can fly. I just happen to see registration as a lessor of many possible evils. I agree with the posters who don't want to shell out more dollars in taxes or fees - but again, if that's ALL we have to do and the government can say "hey we did something" - and we can still basically fly where we want. Then yeah... I am fine with registering.
It won't stop with just registration. There is money to be made. As long as the fear-mongering media continue to push the agenda to feed a small percentage of paranoid members of society that continue to watch the air with their shotguns aimed skyward, regulation will expand. Money talks...'nuff said.

How is "registering" a drone purchase is going to do anything to stop, deter, or help catch anyone flying a drone in an unsafe manner? Any serial number can be removed before flight, assuming a serial number would survive a crash, and was registered to a specific person. When the bird is in the air, serial numbers cannot be determined from the gound. With a stock unmodded range of 1.2 to 2.8 miles for the P3P, any pilot who wishes to conceal their location during flight can easily do so. Assuming the pilot hasn't already left the area, are they going to do a house to house search within a 3 mile range of every sighting, looking for a registered owner pilot, and hoping for a confession? Bring it on! :p
Ultimately, look for transponder technology in all drones that will broadcast the registration in flight. I'd suggest everyone here watch the CBS Sunday morning segment on drones. It is a pretty positive presentation.

Addendum: For all we know the technology is already baked into the P3's.

--zigs

Last edited:
I think this is funny. The fear mongering posted here is no different than the fear mongering media everyone is complaining about.
In fact I don't think the media can even compete with some of the bombastic posts on this thread.
monker thumbup.gif

If you have done something wrong. And then... you probably deserve it.

I have never had my car or boat or trailer or jetski's confiscated... then again... I use them responsibly
And since everyone has gone along with paying for their registrations and taxes every year it has become the norm. And no one questions it. It has become dull to the senses. The longer people let the government get away with even the small things they eventual become the norm.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Actually life can be pretty simple. If one chooses to act responsibly you can have a lot of freedom. If one chooses to constantly exert their "individual rights" life will be frustrating. True character is marked more by what one gives than what they take. People follow givers and resent takers. The freedom to fly through the sky and take neat video and beautiful pictures for the enjoyment of myself and others means a lot to me. If people hate it. We all lose.

--zigs

How is "registering" a drone purchase is going to do anything to stop, deter, or help catch anyone flying a drone in an unsafe manner? Any serial number can be removed before flight, assuming a serial number would survive a crash, and was registered to a specific person. When the bird is in the air, serial numbers cannot be determined from the gound. With a stock unmodded range of 1.2 to 2.8 miles for the P3P, any pilot who wishes to conceal their location during flight can easily do so. Assuming the pilot hasn't already left the area, are they going to do a house to house search within a 3 mile range of every sighting, looking for a registered owner pilot, and hoping for a confession? Bring it on! :p
How do they catch you? Easy, the registration will most likely be attached to a number encoded to your main board (think cell phone IMEI (International Mobile Station Equipment Identity) and they will just pull that number from the device like a black box on an airplane. It will be simple for them to find the registered owner.

How do they catch you? Easy, the registration will most likely be attached to a number encoded to your main board (think cell phone IMEI (International Mobile Station Equipment Identity) and they will just pull that number from the device like a black box on an airplane. It will be simple for them to find the registered owner.

Not really. Drones change hands quickly. Not like guns or cars. I don't see how they will keep up with millions of drones that are mostly fun toys in essence. With thousands changing hands daily.

I see a big mess, a huge burden on a hobby and yet another asinine government bred nightmare.

If I remember correctly Verizon wireless, NASA and FAA are already testing a system for flight control. Watch the CBS Sunday morning segment from this morning. I believe they showed it.

--Zigs

Not really. Drones change hands quickly. Not like guns or cars. I don't see how they will keep up with millions of drones that are mostly fun toys in essence. With thousands changing hands daily.

I see a big mess, a huge burden on a hobby and yet another asinine government bred nightmare.
You don't think thousands & thousands of automobiles transfers takes place everyday? You will have to go to DMV just like a car if what they are planning works out. You don't drive your new car till you register it right?

Drones aren't automobiles. They don't carry people or passengers. Most weigh less than 4 pounds. I think comparing hobby drones to automobiles a bit of a stretch.

Maybe they will show some common sense and only require it for drones over 55 pounds or something like that.

Drones aren't automobiles. They don't carry people or passengers. Most weight less than 4 pounds. I think comparing hobby drones to automobiles a bit of a stretch.
We are not comparing the physical size here, just the method in which they control the usage. The plan laid out is that you will go to your local DMV to register your drone.

We are not comparing the physical size here, just the method in which they control the usage. The plan laid out is that you will go to your local DMV to register your drone.

Which is the problem to begin with. Stupid people who do stupid things should be caught and punished and or banned from owning them. There are already laws that prohibit much of the dangerous acts performed by stupid people with drones. I don't think it's necessary to put controls on everyone. In a free society, making everyone 100% safe 100% of the time is not possible. That's a faulty Utopian ideal.

I hate going to the DMV. It's always a several hour ordeal in this metropolitan mess where I live.
Now I have to go there to have fun with my hobby?

I have two words........

Should be interesting to see how this plays out...

Which is the problem to begin with. Stupid people who do stupid things should be caught and punished and or banned from owning them. I don't think it's necessary to put controls on everyone.
In a free society, making everyone 100% safe 100% of the time is not possible. That's a faulty Utopian ideal.

I hate going to the DMV. It's always a several hour ordeal in this metropolitan mess where I live.
Now I have to go there to have fun with my hobby?

I have two words........
Oh I agree. Wait till mandatory insurance is required for every UAV over 5". :rolleyes:

I'm wagering that it will faulter and not go where many big gubbment lovers are hoping it goes.
There are a few here who will be moonbeaming ear to ear in their glee as they get in line to register but I'm not sure most would do that voluntarily.

wow. Just the thought of being forced to register a toy is creepy. Could I not use a radio controlled ATV to deliver explosives? Guess we'll have to register those next if this flies.
What about radio controlled helicopters?

What happened with the gun registration garbage that was ordered in CT ?
Did that succeed or fail? Probably depends who you ask.

I think this is funny. The fear mongering posted here is no different than the fear mongering media everyone is complaining about.
In fact I don't think the media can even compete with some of the bombastic posts on this thread.

Huge difference. What's funny is you call them the same. Media has an agenda. Period.
The fear mongering by the media is big money ,agenda backed and usually with an end goal (even if that's just to make more money through readership).

Fear mongering (or scaremongering or scare tactics) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end.

What you call "fear mongering" here is actually nothing more than hobbyist fearful that big money and big government will ruin their fun. They have no "agenda" to influence others per se. Call it "fear". But "Fear Mongering" is not correct.

Again, huge difference.

Reactions: Phoenix Outdoors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan