Black FPV after update to 3.14

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Very new to drones. I work for a film production company and they wanted me to start learning how to operate drones. I purchased a Phantom 2 DSLRPros kit from somebody off of craigslist for a good deal. I'll attach photos so you can see the set up.

Anyways, after several very successful flights and great shots I wanted to check for updates. "If it aint broke, dont fix it" I should have told myself. The update to firmware 3.14 went great but now I have no signal from my FPV monitor. I dont believe it to be a GoPro problem as video displays nicely with the LCD Backpac. The gimbal is still responding to my controls on the Futaba, so I dont think it's the ribbon. I also dont think it's the ribbon because it's still powering my GoPro - but i could be wrong

Is there any troubleshooting process I can undergo? How can I downgrade? I see lots of tutorials but nowhere to download legacy versions of the Phantom 2 firmware.

Is the problem because DSLRPros puts custom gear on the Phantom and it requires a special software update not offered through DJI?

Any help will be very much appreciated as I have googled for hours now with no possible solutions to my problem!

Thanks,
John Barrett

IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg

Last edited:
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

There is a newer issue with some Gopros when the Gopro itself is updated, nothing to do with the quad. Did you also update the Gopro?
FYI - never power up the transceiver on the bird end without the antenna on it as you run the risk of burning it up.

Software can be found here - The DroneSlinger..

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

There is a newer issue with some Gopros when the Gopro itself is updated, nothing to do with the quad. Did you also update the Gopro?
FYI - never power up the transceiver on the bird end without the antenna on it as you run the risk of burning it up.

Software can be found here - The DroneSlinger..

Thank you for the quick and courteous reply. I am a frequent user of forums for various things and this seems to be a great community for Phantom owners!

Yes! I updated the GoPro before I got the P2 and it worked fine for many flights on the newest GP software. It was only after updating the bird that my FPV was black. Should I consider downgrading the GP?
By "transceiver" are you talking about the video transmitter to the FPV? Other than there being no GoPro attached, this is how I have been flying it. Am i doing something wrong here?

Also,
I am working on a Mac, so those software versions dont do me much good - but I do have access to a PC at work so I might try that out!

Thanks again!

Thank you for the quick and courteous reply. I am a frequent user of forums for various things and this seems to be a great community for Phantom owners!

Yes! I updated the GoPro before I got the P2 and it worked fine for many flights on the newest GP software. It was only after updating the bird that my FPV was black. Should I consider downgrading the GP?
By "transceiver" are you talking about the video transmitter to the FPV? Other than there being no GoPro attached, this is how I have been flying it. Am i doing something wrong here?

Also,
I am working on a Mac, so those software versions dont do me much good - but I do have access to a PC at work so I might try that out!

Thanks again!

If the GoPro you updated was hero 3+ silver to v03.02 or the black v03.03 then watch this video.

If the GoPro you updated was hero 3+ silver to v03.02 or the black v03.03 then watch this video.
He said the Gopro was updated (he didn't mention which model), but was working fine until the quad was updated so it appears to be something else.

Helpful video! I attempted to do the 'turn on camera last' technique with no success. I then downgraded the GoPro firmware to 1.04 - but still no video over FPV!!

He said the Gopro was updated (he didn't mention which model), but was working fine until the quad was updated so it appears to be something else.

I have the Hero 3+ Black. As for the iOSD - DSLRPros (i think from what Ive read) includes the mini iOSD. Does this need to be updated independently (not through Phantom Assist)?
This is where my drone rookie-ness really shines but I just read all the paperwork that came with the kit and in a highlighted section it says do not update with the gimbal attached. So without knowing this at the time, I did the update with the gimbal attached. I figured if I needed to do anything like that the program would tell me!
So, if this is the cause of all my issues what kind of damage can I look for?

This is all very frustrating. I will adhere to the motto "If it aint broke, dont fix it" much more sternly in the future.

Thank you kindly for all your advice! Hopefully, with the forums help I can get this resolved without spending more $$$.

Helpful video! I attempted to do the 'turn on camera last' technique with no success. I then downgraded the GoPro firmware to 1.04 - but still no video over FPV!!

I have the Hero 3+ Black. As for the iOSD - DSLRPros (i think from what Ive read) includes the mini iOSD. Does this need to be updated independently (not through Phantom Assist)?
This is where my drone rookie-ness really shines but I just read all the paperwork that came with the kit and in a highlighted section it says do not update with the gimbal attached. So without knowing this at the time, I did the update with the gimbal attached. I figured if I needed to do anything like that the program would tell me!
So, if this is the cause of all my issues what kind of damage can I look for?

This is all very frustrating. I will adhere to the motto "If it aint broke, dont fix it" much more sternly in the future.

Thank you kindly for all your advice! Hopefully, with the forums help I can get this resolved without spending more $$$.

The original update for the iOSD was 12/31/2013 and I installed mine in march of 2014 and went through the process of updating and of course there wasn't any. Are you receiving the telemetry from the iOSD to the monitor? If you are then the problem of no video from the camera may be with the ribbon cable or the USB connector is seated correctly. There's a black lock down on the USB connector lift it up and make sure the ribbon is seated in all the way and lock it down.

The original update for the iOSD was 12/31/2013 and I installed mine in march of 2014 and went through the process of updating and of course there wasn't any. Are you receiving the telemetry from the iOSD to the monitor? If you are then the problem of no video from the camera may be with the ribbon cable or the USB connector is seated correctly. There's a black lock down on the USB connector lift it up and make sure the ribbon is seated in all the way and lock it down.

I dont think I was receiving telemetry actually - never had a way to see remaining percentage of battery. Is there an on off switch for this information? Like I said, I bought this used on craigslist - I think maybe there might not be an iOSD then!
I think the ribbon cable cant be the source of the problem because it still powers my GoPro when turned on. Is it possible to transfer power but not video?

I dont think I was receiving telemetry actually - never had a way to see remaining percentage of battery. Is there an on off switch for this information? Like I said, I bought this used on craigslist - I think maybe there might not be an iOSD then!
I think the ribbon cable cant be the source of the problem because it still powers my GoPro when turned on. Is it possible to transfer power but not video?

John see if there is a gray wire and connector on the front right leg of the landing gear.

This is what it looks like and if it's there and there isn't a black cable connected to it you do not the mini iOSD module.
Can-Bus Connector.jpg

This is what it looks like and if it's there and there isn't a black cable connected to it you do not the mini iOSD module.
View attachment 36830
It could be internal depending on how DSLRpros set them up. Mine is internal.
He has the plug on the leg and it's empty. That is also a bit different gimbal than my Zenmuse.

He has the plug on the leg and it's empty. That is also a bit different gimbal than my Zenmuse.

All depends on how it posted on craigslist. But if that can-bus is attached to the leg then there isn't one Of course we won't know thattill later today as John has signed off.

I've seen the internal routing and just took a few minutes to see if I could open the P2 up but unfortunately one of the screws is completely stripped... maybe this is why the original owner was selling! So, in attempts to not damage is further I did not open the P2, so I do not know about an internal routed iOSD, but from what I have read all of the DSLRPros packages come with one. I will take more time tomorrow to get that stripped screw out.

One problem after the other...
All depends on how it posted on craigslist. But if that can-bus is attached to the leg then there isn't one Of course we won't know thattill later today as John has signed off.
I am still in contact with the original owner, as he has been very helpful, granted he was older, didnt seem to understand the purpose of all the different parts and had this thing as a toy only.
Nonetheless, Im not sure what it is that you would like to know or are asking - may I ask that you put it in laymans terms for a person new to drone technology?

thank you for your response!

The first pic is the plug in question, the can-bus plug. The second pic is the compass. Typically the iOSD is plugged into that connection or some, like mine, have bypassed that and have connected it to the board inside. Without being able to open the shell you will not be able to verify the wiring & components.

If indeed there were a mini iOSD wired directly to the main board and were working this is what the monitor screen would look like.without video from the camera
Monitor screen.jpg

Here are the possibilities with a totally black screen.
1) Power to the P2 turned on without an antenna attached to the transmitter (TX) and it no longer
works.
2) Power supply to the TX shorted out.
3) There isn't a iOSD inside the shell.
4) The ribbon cable feeding video from camera to TX is damaged or is not fully seated in the USB
connector.
USB Connector_01.jpg USB Connector_02.jpg

If indeed there were a mini iOSD wired directly to the main board and were working this is what the monitor screen would look like.without video from the camera
View attachment 36857
Here are the possibilities with a totally black screen.
1) Power to the P2 turned on without an antenna attached to the transmitter (TX) and it no longer
works.
2) Power supply to the TX shorted out.
3) There isn't a iOSD inside the shell.
4) The ribbon cable feeding video from camera to TX is damaged or is not fully seated in the USB
connector.
View attachment 36859 View attachment 36860
Thanks! This is helpful. So then, I am 99.99% positive I dont have an iOSD. Once I get my FPV working Ill buy one immediately - it looks very useful.
I am at work now, but i will check the ribbon connection when I get home and update the thread!

Everyone thank you for reading and helping but I think i have isolated the problem to the ribbon being damaged. I believe it has a short which has made it harder to diagnose as it would sometimes charge the camera and sometimes not.
The attached photo shows the hard 90 degree angle that the ribbon is making, which makes me think the internals are severed but the plastic is intact!
Purchased a new ribbon on overnight delivery.
Will update.

Attachments

• IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 382
Everyone thank you for reading and helping but I think i have isolated the problem to the ribbon being damaged. I believe it has a short which has made it harder to diagnose as it would sometimes charge the camera and sometimes not.
The attached photo shows the hard 90 degree angle that the ribbon is making, which makes me think the internals are severed but the plastic is intact!
Purchased a new ribbon on overnight delivery.
Will update.

John if the ribbon doesn't resolve the problem take a video or photo with the camera off the P2 check the misc file to see what frimware you have on that camera. If it's v03.3 or v03.02 depend on the model of camera you will not video until you use this work around.which I posted in post #5

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl