**** Birds!

Reaction score
Just arrived in Auckland for work and brought my P3pro with me. Went off to the nearby park to fly and all was well until my drone was attacked by birds not once or twice, but five times!

The first two times I thought the birds just happened to be flying close to my drone. After I got my footage I shifted location hoping to avoid them.

Once at the new location, another bird swooped across my drone for the third time and shortly later, the birds actually flew right up to my drone and was about to attack it when I saw them change course at the last moment. They must have been puzzled or confused by the sounds and whirring of the props.

I felt so nervous and decided to call it a day though I only used up two batteries and had two more.

I planned to take some footage of the nearby harbour and boats but as I was afraid of the big birds, I decided to head back to my hotel.

What a joy killer. Anyone has any tips to prevent such bird attacks? For eg. Their flying pattern, flying height etc?

I had a similar experience while flying at a nearby lake. I don't know if they feel threatened by it or curious about it. Both birds I saw swooped down and changed course last minute.

I had a similar experience while flying at a nearby lake. I don't know if they feel threatened by it or curious about it. Both birds I saw swooped down and changed course last minute.
I honestly think that they were trying to see if it was something they could eat. Obviously they feel that they are larger or higher up in the food chain compared to this strange flying object that warrants them to try to prey on it. I wonder if they really fly right up to it what would happen. Would we have a crashed drone or a sliced bird.....

:)

Don't worry too much Garrie, I did a job in Bluff recently, harbour side, and birds are generally just inquisitive. I had around 10 seagulls surround my P3. When in this situation, take it slow, keep the same velocity and they will leave you alone in a few minutes.

Reactions: Joao Carlos
. I wonder if they really fly right up to it what would happen. Would we have a crashed drone or a sliced bird.....

:)
Most likely both if you collided .

What birds were they (probably Magpies which can get very territorial)?

BTW - take note of the new regulations that came into effect on the 1st Aug in NZ, they are fairly restrictive. Realise you aren't living there but it's worthwhile understanding the restrictions so you know where you stand if you get approach by the council or the police.

http://www.caa.govt.nz/rpas/

What birds were they (probably Magpies which can get very territorial)?

BTW - take note of the new regulations that came into effect on the 1st Aug in NZ, they are fairly restrictive. Realise you aren't living there but it's worthwhile understanding the restrictions so you know where you stand if you get approach by the council or the police.

http://www.caa.govt.nz/rpas/
He's well aware of the rules, check out Auckland Council rules and you'll see he's covered.

Reactions: Oesau
i heard that the vertical sensor sound sends dogs crazy not sure about birds ????

Yes the ultrasonics do - i wonder about bats?

I flew along the beach for the first time - hundreds of birds of all sorts. The worst are our seagulls - they are huge and very aggressive. They completely ignored my drone!!!
I also fly in the mountains where there are plenty of birds of prey - again been lucky.
I think it may be down to encroaching on their nesting area or if it is breeding season etc.

The sheep get a bit puzzled by the drone - some farmers are using them to herd sheep lol. Once they get used to it though they ignore it - the sheep here ignore the Eurofighter and Chinooks at 200 feet lol.

Thanks Bret - good to see the Council (albeit because they hadn't been aware of the changes) respond with some common sense for the time being.
Yeah, good point. It's a shame that the CAA and council didn't meet to sort this together. We are in a big transition and I expect we'll face many changes as things progress. Interesting times ahead.

Yup I am well aware of the new measures that came into effect. I actually emailed the Auckland City council for permission but they can't seem to be bothered to reply me.

However, after I read that there are interim measures, it is ok to fly in public spaces as long as you meet the requirements.

I even registered at airshare NZ website to post the location, date , and time of my planned flights.
Even with such measures, it's better than the ones I have in Singapore. I can only fly up to 60m at home whilst you can go up to 120m in NZ.

As for the vertical sensors, I'm not sure if it attracts dogs but I had a large sized dog that kept running towards and under my drone. He seems really interested in it! It made for a great conversation starter between the dogs owner and I though.

I think when we fly responsibly, people won't give you problems and might even support your hobby :)

I visited the same park again today to get additional footage. I was well aware of the presence of the big birds, in fact I could see them clearly perched on the trees.

I realised that if I fly low and near to me, the birds don't try to attack. The moment I fly the drone away from me and high in the sky, the birds started to swoop down to investigate.

Had a few close calls again. Luckily I was prepared, when I see the bird swooping down I swiftly manoeuvred out of the way. I think I managed to capture footage of the birds attacking today.

Will cut a compilation of bird attacks and post in this forum soon!

Stick one of this ultrasonic animal repeller
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440322501.604613.jpg
on your bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl