Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about the location DJI decided to mount the compass on the P2. Being at the aft corner might have an influence on how the compass perceives rotation. When the P2 tries to attempt straight flight, wouldn't any bit of yaw would also introduce lateral movement as opposed to a true rotation around the compasses center? If the compass were mounted in the center axis of the P2 then any bit of yaw would be correctly interpreted by the compass as an accurate heading change. No other false/biased factors would be introduced.

Since we are talking about a Quad Copter that has a true center point, shouldn't a directional compass be located at the center of the rotational axis? I am not saying this would solve any of the issues but I think it would result in a compass that is getting a truly precise indication of heading without any other skewed factors that might decrease the accuracy.

This would not correct the Magnetic Declination fact!
It would provide the system with more accurate heading information which could speed up the process of maintaining a correct flight path.

Just something to think about!

Someone needs to step up and marshall all that effort. Call me lazy, but I'd rather wait another week before going through the effort.[/quote]

I wouldn't call it lazy. It's calculated. You have choices and you decided the effort vs what is apparently only a week a way and judging your perception of DJI's reaction you see the effort as futile. Makes sense... everyone has his breaking point when he decides to do something more proactive.

Yes you are right d4ddyo. There are many options available now & in the next 12 months alot more will appear on the market. The europeans are producing some excellent machines (very expensive) but the innovations are already there ie Point of interest while it flies in a circle around a subject ,independent motion tracking & collision avoidance. This will tickle down to cheaper machines & with less need to worry about magnetic issues as these will be smarter machines able to do independent functions in line with user needs. This is the best motivator for DJI to get the technology right when competition affects their bottom line.

----------------

Attachments

• dji.jpg
    dji.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 335
Pazz said:
Yes you are right d4ddyo. There are many options available now & in the next 12 months alot more will appear on the market. The europeans are producing some excellent machines (very expensive) but the innovations are already there ie Point of interest while it flies in a circle around a subject ,independent motion tracking & collision avoidance. This will tickle down to cheaper machines & with less need to worry about magnetic issues as these will be smarter machines able to do independent functions in line with user needs. This is the best motivator for DJI to get the technology right when competition affects their bottom line.

3drobotics open firmware doing that. So are the Chinese. Walkera hex does some. And cheap too!!!!

Fyi, I sent an email to Walkera asking if their Tali H500 will fly straight in areas of the world with non-zero magnetic declination. See this thread if you're interested on tracking the response. I'll post it when they respond.

viewtopic.php?t=16128

damoncooper said:
Fyi, I sent an email to Walkera asking if their Tali H500 will fly straight in areas of the world with non-zero magnetic declination. See this thread if you're interested on tracking the response. I'll post it when they respond.

viewtopic.php?t=16128

Is it on sale already? I haven't looked up post but fixing the issue can't possibly that big a deal. There are programmers out there that are defending DJI saying that I don't know anything about the process. I call it Priorities and laziness... the worker syndrome ... it's evident in any industry.

I have been recently using different flight controllers for scratch builds and the Naze Flight controller that uses an open source has an input screen for Magnetic Declination. DJI's and other Flight controllers have a lookup table to do it automatically.

But I do like the Tali H500. I always say i'll wait for 2nd generation but i'm an idiot that will early adopt. LOL.

d4ddyo said:
damoncooper said:

viewtopic.php?t=16128

Is it on sale already? I haven't looked up post but fixing the issue can't possibly that big a deal. There are programmers out there that are defending DJI saying that I don't know anything about the process. I call it Priorities and laziness... the worker syndrome ... it's evident in any industry.

I have been recently using different flight controllers for scratch builds and the Naze Flight controller that uses an open source has an input screen for Magnetic Declination. DJI's and other Flight controllers have a lookup table to do it automatically.

But I do like the Tali H500. I always say i'll wait for 2nd generation but i'm an idiot that will early adopt. LOL.

Available now, correct. And it looks awesome.

This topic was created specifically for beta testing to fix the compass issue.
Alternate products etc should be discussed elsewhere.

John Shaw said:
This topic was created specifically for beta testing to fix the compass issue.
Alternate products etc should be discussed elsewhere.

Relevant here as I'm sure Dji is monitoring this thread. Any threat of Dji users considering alternatives
affects their sales. Competition is the best motivation to improve/ fix their product.

Pazz said:
Relevant here as I'm sure Dji is monitoring this thread. Any threat of Dji users considering alternatives
affects their sales. Competition is the best motivation to improve/ fix their product.

That doesn't change the fact that this thread was created to facilitate communication regarding FIXING the compass problem. Cluttering it with irrelevant discussions that don't help fix the problem isn't appropriate. There are plenty of other threads for that.

robby666111 said:
Pazz said:
I'm sure Dji is monitoring this thread
I doubt it.
Don't be too sure about that. Good business practice these days is to follow social media for your product
Funny how adverse posts to Dji Facebook gets deleted fast. Someone is managing the feeds.
Business are very aware of the the power of consumers to influence others via their
comments on sites like this. Thing is this monitoring/ managing can be done so easily via a phone
while an employee is sitting at home watching TV.

AnselA said:
Pazz said:
Funny how adverse posts to Dji Facebook gets deleted fast. Someone is managing the feeds.

+1

Drunken Sparrow may attack DJI FB?

EDIT: posting of this to DJI FB was deleted in few secons
They have never deleted any of my many posts and i still see this one there as well

Attachments

• dji facebook.JPG
    dji facebook.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 505
EDIT: posting of this to DJI FB was deleted in few secons
[/quote]
They have never deleted any of my many posts and i still see this one there as well

According to DJI, they have a strict "no deletions" policy on anybody's Facebook posts.
So, are we to assume that this policy is BS?
If they deleted the Hitler video, I'd say good on them. It's a parody using the face of Mr Evil himself,
or, at least, that's how history remembers him. Basically not the type of person we need to spearhead
a solution to our problem.

I am maintaining patience with this GPS/Compass issue, but like many out there, my patience is wearing thin.
4 months to come out with a partial fix is not what I'd call addressing the problem.

Just got word from DJI that the 2nd beta is ready for testing. It is still version 3.05 so to keep it clear, we will call it 3.05b2. Note that I am calling it a beta, DJI has not. So it could very well be a release candidate in that if all goes well with preliminary testing, it could become the official 3.05 firmware.

I am flying back to LA later today and I will be testing it first thing tomorrow morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimCJWolfe