Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question on the gimbals. Do they have a separate controller board or are they driven solely by the FC? I noticed the main board had a zenmuse socket. Just curious as I have just fitted a gimbal with an alexmos controller to the P2V. It only uses the pitch servo signal from the NAZA . The couple of flights I have had since fitting it were the same as the pre gimbal flights on the beta firmware as far as course lock is concerned. If the weekend is fine I'll put it up again.

As I understand it, the Zenmuse uses control input from the main board in the P2. It would appear that the un-commanded yaw that some of are seeing is unrelated to the beta firmware as well as pre-existing so I think we can safely put that aside for now.

So, quick and dirty summary of the current open issues:
- Fixing the last 20% - course lock still slightly off, small hook at the beginning.
- Sar104's results - anomaly or is the solution not as effective in specific cases? If so, how?

Other issues unrelated to the declination fix and therefore out of scope:
- Un-commanded yaw - not specific to 3.05 or declination issue.
- Heading/course drift - not specific to 3.05 or declination issue.

After this weekend, I will be unavailable to test for 2 weeks so DJI, please bring on the next version of the beta!

ianwood said:
- Sar104's results - anomaly or is the solution not as effective in specific cases? If so, how?
maybe it coincidental that sar is located where a bunch of most powerful magnet in the world reside, (100 Tesla) just found that interesting. I suppose you cant rule out that he could have a hardware malfunction as well and he is at a very high altitude. His situation could be anomalous. I also noticed he did some of his tests quite close to a bunch what appear to be high voltage transmission lines.

Just something interesting i've discovered.
I downloaded an app for my iphone called Magnetic Detector. It gives you a Magnetic interference graph and digital readout of the current magnetic levels of where you are positioned. It's very fast.

I walked around my house and as I got closer to electronics or metal, it would increase it's readout. You can set a specific number to give you an alarm.

Main Point!
I I found that in most of my room was at a level of between 35(ut) and 42(ut)
I normally do my advanced imu calibrations on the floor or on my desk about 1.5 feet from my computer. The Floor was about 55 (ut) My desk where i'll normally work on my P2 was reading (50-60 ut) I set the P2 on my desk positioned where I normally do a Advanced imu Cal. It is near (12-14") from my 2012 27" imac. I checked the readout and it quickly shot up to 70(ut) The alarm went off! As I got closer to the Imac, the numbers climbed over 80(ut). I then check the area around my PC. The numbers stayed below 50(ut)

I looked for a flat area that had the lowest reading. It was the counter top in my Bathroom. That was 35(ut)
I did an advanced imu Cal. at that location.

My imu MOD values went from

Checked with P2 on floor center of room.
Gyro= fluctuates from 0.1- 0.6
Accel= 1.00
Compass (raw)= fluctuates 1468-1481

To:

Gyro Mod .1- .2
Accel 1.0
Compass Raw 1145-1150

You can see the Gyro and Compass numbers dropped and were more stable.

I'm wondering if Sar104's results as well as others, are being skewed by the particular spot they are doing there initial imu calibrations. I know I had done prior calibrations on my desk near my imac which now i can see has a high degree of Magnetic interference.

If you have an iphone, download the free app called "Magnetic Detector" Even if you have another app, try this one and report back the reading you are getting in the location you normally do your imu calibrations.
It would be interesting to compare everyone's interference levels and there flight performance results.

Thanks..

Andy T said:
ianwood said:
maybe it coincidental that sar is located where a bunch of most powerful magnet in the world reside, (100 Tesla) just found that interesting. I suppose you cant rule out that he could have a hardware malfunction as well and he is at a very high altitude. His situation could be anomalous. I also noticed he did some of his tests quite close to a bunch what appear to be high voltage transmission lines.

The lines are only 13 kV, and don't interfere. I checked the local field strengths. We do have some big magnets, but the effects are very localized. I will test again this weekend with 2 P2s - I really don't want to be an outlier in these tests.

I just noticed you are in Los Alamos New Mexico.
Anywhere near the Gov't Los Alamos Testing grounds?

I just downloaded it and sat it on the table where I work on my Phantom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 295
Excellent. I'm at around 30.

On my countertop

2 feet from my iMac

1 foot from my iMac

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    219.4 KB · Views: 436
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    160.1 KB · Views: 466
  • photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    214.1 KB · Views: 498
Now you know why they supply that super stretchy USB cable- so you can do the calibrations 10 feet from the computer.

Maybe I'll skip the magnetic apps. They'll just cause more stress.

I've been using this app for a while now. I found it very useful to make sure nothing nasty was lurking in my vicinity while doing a compass calibration. My average values are around 40 to 50 micro Teslas. I use it as a relative tool. If I stand close to something that increases the values by more than about 25%, then I'll try to find a better place to calibrate my compass.

So let me guess.... No new beta firmware yet. But I thought DJI promised this week? :roll:

landonkk said:
So let me guess.... No new beta firmware yet. But I thought DJI promised this week? :roll:

No, they didn't promise this week. I guessed it might be this week. The word promise was never used or suggested. :roll:

Just completed another couple of test flights. Different location, just in case the golf course that I used previously had some undetected magnetic anomalies or other issues. To summarize the last test - large GPS-mode track errors with J-hook that mostly improved during flight but randomly reappeared, CL off by at least 2 x declination, substantial altitude changes and lots of uncommanded yaw.

EQUIPMENT

HARDWARE: P2, H3-3D v1.0, GoPro H3+, Lightbridge, Futaba 14SG.

FIRMWARE:
Main Controller: 3.05
GPS: 6.0.1.4
P330CB: 1.0.1.30
Gimbal CMU: 1.0
Battery: 2.0.0.0
H3-3D IMU: 1.0.0.6

BASIC GAINS: (P, R, Y, T) 125, 125, 120, 140.
ATTI GAINS: (P, R) 260, 260.

I have never altered these gains - just the gimbal tilt gain.

TEST CONDITIONS

Winds calm. This time startup heading was 300˚T (as opposed to 127˚T). I would have explored an orthogonal startup, but the test was cut short by a thunderstorm. Another difference, outside my control, is that I had 10 or 11 satellites at all times - more than I have seen before, and in contrast to just 7 or 8 last time. I used elevator trim, rather than sticks, to perform the runs in order to ensure that I had no inadvertent roll input.

RESULTS

Good news and bad news. The bad news is that the results were completely different. The good news is that I saw no discernible TBE, GPS runs were fairly straight right from the start (± < 5˚) with virtually no trace of J-hook and, remarkably, CL was approximately straight and within a couple of degrees of startup heading. Altitude control appeared to be good ± 1 m. Yaw on takeoff was minimal, and I saw only slight uncommanded yaw throughout the flights. HL brought the P2 back on a straight line to the takeoff point and was orientation independent, as it should be.

I'll post some video once I have processed it, but it really doesn't show much except mostly straight flight. It does seem to demonstrate that the H3-3D does not always look completely straight ahead.

I have no idea what is going on here, but possible variables accounting for the very different results: different location, different startup heading, lots of satellites, complete operator incompetence.

NEXT

I also tested out a combo trim setting (yaw + elevator) to drive the P2 in well-defined circles (primarily for descending), and it performed very well. I'll test that on my other P2 with GPS tracking to check the geometry, which may be an interesting indication of how isotropic the FC is, and also generate some precise linear tracks. Next tests will be the same location, but orthogonal startup heading, and then back to the golf course to compare.

Sar104, that's good news in my book. It's possible the firmware didn't take at first or who knows what else but at least your results are now consistent with the others.

Haven't posted my settings to share with the group yet, so here they are:

P2, H3-3D v1.1, GoPro 3+B, Futaba RX, OSD Mark II, Fatshark 250mW vTX, Flytron strobes

Code:
Main Controller   3.05
GPS               6.0.1.4
P330CB            1.0.1.30
Gimbal CMU        1.0
Battery           2.0.0.0
H3-3D IMU         1.0.0.6

Basic Gains       120, 120, 120, 200
ATTI Gains        220, 220
Note, I've never touched the gains and the P330CB just updated by itself when I plugged in to get the settings. It seems there are two different sets of default gains depending on which firmwares you applied in the past. I only ever did 1.08, 3.02 (I think it was 3.02) and the 3.05 beta.

Ian, if you hit the default button in the gains settings tab then they all change to the 3.05 defaults. Yours look like the original settings from 1.08 since you've flown quite a bit with the original gains settings, it would be interesting to hear what you notice flying with the 3.05 default settings.

I am wondering if the old gains are making my un-commanded yaw worse. And I am not sure, but I think the 3.05 beta has worse un-commanded yaw than 3.04. I don't remember it simply popping out like that so much. Really frustrating. Did a bunch of flights today and I would correct for the un-commanded yaw and it would keep going back like it was on a rubber band. It might be my imagination, but it seems worse even since I've put 3.05 on there. Probably not but I am noticing it a lot.

I will try updated gains next weekend before I head out of town. Hopefully, the new beta will drop by then.

It seems strange to me that when they release firmware updates they often change the default gains, but the firmware update process itself does not update the gains - that has to be done manually with the "Default" button. I wonder why they do it like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoveuk