Best range you have gotten with P3S?

2.5 km.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458186631.290578.jpg

Just over 4 km, same area different direction.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458186761.430691.jpg

All stock, except for the tablet mount/holder.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458187225.469259.jpg

I found that the performance varies on stock P3S. I have done similar route before with another stock P3S and only got 4000-5000ft. I was not happy with the performance and return it. Bought a new one and performance of this one is way better.
I have seen a lot of that . Seems like the early ones weren't as good as the newer ones .
I have not seen any with the same distances . Lots of variables also..like the water .
Is great distance though . I've got what I do and have just got 3.04 but am over land .
Not that much water here to cross . Just mud :)

Reactions: finalfantasyfan
I have seen a lot of that . Seems like the early ones weren't as good as the newer ones .
I have not seen any with the same distances . Lots of variables also..like the water .
Is great distance though . I've got what I do and have just got 3.04 but am over land .
Not that much water here to cross . Just mud :)
3.04 miles is very good. I will try lower my attitude next time to see if I can go that far

3.04 miles is very good. I will try lower my attitude next time to see if I can go that far
I've seen a lot go farther with what I use but had amps. I think I was higher than you but was flying from along bottom .
Around 300' if I remember right .Would have to look in my logs .
The best I ever got stock was 6,666' but that was like in Oct.

I've seen a lot go farther with what I use but had amps. I think I was higher than you but was flying from along bottom .
Around 300' if I remember right .Would have to look in my logs .
The best I ever got stock was 6,666' but that was like in Oct.
I was had to find the log .
3.04 miles.PNG

Reactions: SZNJ732
That's good . I've just never messed with those amps . I'm just getting used to flying over what water we have here now .
Nothing like that .:)

yeah, but the crazy thing is , even 16,000' out in the bay over open water, im still getting 'strong interference' calls...where is it coming from??:confused: Like i just can't escape this freakin interference man..
March13Interfrnc.png

i need all the power i can get to keep that signal strong and overpower interference.. my stock distance before was around 1,500' in my area..:eek:

yeah, but the crazy thing is , even 16,000' out in the bay over open water, im still getting 'strong interference' calls...where is it coming from??:confused: Like i just can't escape this freakin interference man..
View attachment 47389

i need all the power i can get to keep that signal strong and overpower interference.. my stock distance before was around 1,500' in my area..:eek:
Now that I wouldn't have a clue unless it was coming from the amps but don't really understand them so I don't know
Seems you wouldn't have any at all over that water .

That's good . I've just never messed with those amps . I'm just getting used to flying over what water we have here now .
Nothing like that .:)

i guess flying over water isn't really much different. I thought signal was supposed to bounce off the water surface, so i started low at around 150'alt , but ended up getting best signal somewhere around 385'. I dont really know the specs of the amps signal, but they definitely help..and really easy to hook em up. My next project is birdside antennas.. i've been hesitant to mess with opening the shell up, but since i recently discovered a crack, im gonna replace the top shell, and thinking about throwing in some 2.4 dipoles while im at it.. so if i brake the cracked shell trying to open it, i wont feel too bad :)

Reactions: dirkclod
i guess flying over water isn't really much different. I thought signal was supposed to bounce off the water surface, so i started low at around 150'alt , but ended up getting best signal somewhere around 385'. I dont really know the specs of the amps signal, but they definitely help..and really easy to hook em up. My next project is birdside antennas.. i've been hesitant to mess with opening the shell up, but since i recently discovered a crack, im gonna replace the top shell, and thinking about throwing in some 2.4 dipoles while im at it.. so if i brake the cracked shell trying to open it, i wont feel too bad :)
Yo know them 2.4's not in the shell right..5.8's ;) Shell not hard and I fixed them clips so they no trouble for me anymore :)

Now that I wouldn't have a clue unless it was coming from the amps but don't really understand them so I don't know
Seems you wouldn't have any at all over that water .

yes i am very puzzled by this.. I dont think amps would create interference, since i had no interference for the first 10,000 feet.
I looked at flight videos and didnt see anything suspicious... just a bunch of water around lol...
vlcsnap-2016-03-17-01h52m46s556.png

yes i am very puzzled by this.. I dont think amps would create interference, since i had no interference for the first 10,000 feet.
I looked at flight videos and didnt see anything suspicious... just a bunch of water around lol...
Ya got me on that buddy .

Lol no i didnt know that.. I better do some heavy reading before i get to it lol..
Is nothing to it but the 2.4"s are on top of gimbal . Well the connecters are...the panels are inside your bird .Look in the battery box and ya see em.
I took mine out just to save a little weight .

i was looking at this nautical chart, looks like there is a buoy in the area where i was flying..
could it be it? i think buoys transmit weather data and stuff, probably over 2.4GHz lol.. just enough to interfere with my flying and ruin my day.
MarineMap.jpg

Is nothing to it but the 2.4"s are on top of gimbal . Well the connecters are...the panels are inside your bird .Look in the battery box and ya see em.
I took mine out just to save a little weight .

Dang, i was really hoping i woudnt have to take the gimbal off. i just feel its gonna be a pain in the a$$ trying to put it all back together :(

i was looking at this nautical chart, looks like there is a buoy in the area where i was flying..
could it be it? i think buoys transmit weather data and stuff, probably over 2.4GHz lol.. just enough to interfere with my flying and ruin my day.
View attachment 47392
Could be
Dang, i was really hoping i woudnt have to take the gimbal off. i just feel its gonna be a pain in the a$$ trying to put it all back together :(
Gimbal easy to deal with , just those 2 plastic pins and slip off the rubber dampeners and ya carefully unsnap the main connecter
in the front and ya have this A2.png Those covers are screwed down from the bottom side and keep pressure on the connecters
. Ya just have to take your time ....not my picture...
Make sure you do use that gimbal saver that came with it when messing with it just to not mess up your gimbal .
I did find this out, I use thicker cables and here I think those smaller black ones are better as thick and don't bind the gimbal any which cause's it to shake at times .

Last edited:
Reactions: SZNJ732
Could be

Gimbal easy to deal with , just those 2 plastic pins and slip off the robber dampeners and ya carefully unsnap the main connecter
in the front and ya have this View attachment 47399 Those covers are screwed down from the bottom side and keep pressure on the connecters
. Ya just have to take your time ....not my picture...
Make sure you do use that gimbal saver that came with it when messing with it just to not mess up your gimbal .
I did find this out, I use thicker cables and here I think those smaller black ones are better as thick and don't bind the gimbal any which cause's it to shake at times .

Thank you for this! Very useful info! Gonna get all the parts together and get to work:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl